Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: Getting started

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting started

OK...got the game, got the joystick...got the patch.

Started the game...thought I'd try a bit of single player to familiarize, learn to get around, etc. After a coupla hours, I'm ready to sell everything at a discount. :?

It's pretty. It's probably a really cool, good, realistic flight sim. AND...it may be the least accessible game I've ever encountered. Even the darn training missions/tutorials are ONLY WATCHING... NOT DOING. I'm not a happy camper!

What am I missing? Is it worth climbing the learning curve blindfolded? How do I get going?

I think I need a tutor...
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4626

Spectre will show you everything you need to get off the ground...
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
    --Douglas Adams

Shad0wRIP
    Just jump on the server with us we'll talk ya through taking off and everything just need to come on out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it really is alot easier than you think. its the best ww2 sim i have played in a long while.....dont give up stick at it.

drop into the server when noone is around.. ie public guys and ill give you the what for and why is if i am on... you will be up in no time.

www.TeamElement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not too bad once you get into a dogfight. You just keep trying and you get the hang of it. It's hard when there are pub players though and not just for the cheating. When someone is trying to give you tips it's difficult to take it in when you've got a pub player chasing your tail. Hopefully, some flight school training will help us out.

Is there a flight sim out there with a good offline tutorial? I've tried LOMAC and its tutorials are the same like IL2's. It's all sit there and watch a recording. You can interrupt it but then you don't get the tips. Jex mentioned going through the tutorials a few times. The first time you take notes and the subsequent attempts you follow your notes. It still doesn't match a tutorial that makes you do things while telling you how.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Shad0wRIP
    really The best way is the way i did it....i've never played a flight sim before thought the early ones were too arcadey and lame. I just jumped in with a few guys Dudeman gaz and opus and they instructed me on how to take off land ect ect..... the thing is almost every plane is allittle different in how you take off and land in it and the way they handle in the air is different for all of them once you get the first one down you'll be able to figure out the others quickly without too much problem or need to ask alot of questions but of course if you have a question pls do ask we'll help ya out anyway we can.

one thing you should make sure you do is set keys or joystick buttons for "Select engine 1" , "Select Engine 2" and "select all engines" you will need these keys/buttons for starting and taking off in multi-engine planes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What keys are important on the joystick for you? There are so many options I have no idea what would be best. I figure the FOV zoom is pretty important. I have trouble aiming and it helps to zoom in on the crosshairs.

Do a lot of the planes have more than one engine?
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Shad0wRIP
    There are several twin engine planes most specificly the HE-111 which is a must use for bombing runs....well not must use cause you can use the IL2 but the HE-111 is fun to fly and with the option of jumping from pilot to the other five gunning positions or loading it up with 6 team members each taking a position and flying a bomb run is definitly a must

because i have 12 buttons on my joystick i set 3 of them for the the engine confige for easy of remembering as there are already alot of keys that come into play in IL2.....other than that your default of trigger 1,2,3,4 are already set.....use the extra buttons for what you wish i have 7,8,9 set for engine 1,2 and all respectfully leaving me with 10,11 and 12 open should i see a need for them......