User Tag List

Thread: Focus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Focus.

Please explain focus to me.

Is it an upgrade? If so from what chamber? If not... wtf?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sensory. Replaces Pheremones. Does extra damage at the expense of ROF.
    FROM THE TACTICAL GAMER PRIMER.
    3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see, With things like Blink and leap though, Will it decrease their RoF? And metabolize... and Heal spray... and will heal spray heal for more in a shot aswell? and umbra? and how will spores be affected? will the RoF be decreased for Primal scream?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my knowledge it affects only standard melee attacks(bite,slash,gore). It's a nice idea, but it isn't going to make sensory a first chamber except as a "gimmick" game. My opinion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now, it only affects weapon slot 1.
    FROM THE TACTICAL GAMER PRIMER.
    3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see, thanks =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK, the debate is still quite hot on whether the gorge weapon slot 1 should be spit or healing spray :P

Be glad you never experienced focus-xenocide...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by verbose
    AFAIK, the debate is still quite hot on whether the gorge weapon slot 1 should be spit or healing spray :P

Be glad you never experienced focus-xenocide...

Kinda like an Alien Nuke. SkreeeeeeeeeeBOOM

You could take out whole groups of heavy's with 2-3 focus xenos.

However, Focus as it is now:

With each level of Focus, your attack Damage is increased by 33.3 percent, and your rate of fire is decreased by 20%.

So, with all three sensories placed, a Kharaa lifeform will deal 100% more damage per attack, and an expense of 60% less rate of fire. In comparison, with full focus a skulk's bite rate is comparable to biting with your adrenaline drained.

As another example, a skulk with full focus will kill a marine in one bite

Focus forces you to become a better player in my observation. Because it reduces the rate of fire of your weapons, you can't just run around biting your head off hoping to land hits. You need to actually time and aim your hits, or you won't connect, and get chewed up.

Also in my observation the lifeforms that benifit the most from Focus are Skulks, Lerks, and Fades. The Onos already deals so much damage that its redundant, and it's more benifical to have the higher rate of fire as Onos with Gore.

A Lerk with Focus its a VERY annoying bird. With the new flight model its disgustingly easy to swoop in on marines, rip them a new one with a few focus bites, the fly off.

Applied properly, Sensory first with Focus skulks early game are devistating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "As another example, a skulk with full focus will kill a marine in one bite" - Bentley

Marines without armor upgrades anyway. I think level 1 armor is all it takes to bring the insta-kill skulks back into line. I like focus as a skulk, but as a gorge or lerk I'd much rather have scent of fear. I'm a crappy fade, so I'd die no matter what I chose for that evolution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    couldn't you counter armor 1 with parasite right before biting? or right after?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke
    couldn't you counter armor 1 with parasite right before biting? or right after?
    Not quite. It would still take two bites unfortunatly. Theres talk right now of upping the damage so it would take Armor 2 to effectivly counter focus, to make it more "First Chamber" viable.

However a Focus lerk is great, regardless of the Armor upgrades. All you need to do is spore them a couple of times, wear down the armor, shoot an umbra cloud at their feet swoop in and clean up.

In a Classic game of NS recently I was able to take a group of 3 heavies down by myself (2 hmgs and a shotgun) They really did suck aim wise, but an Umbra'd Focus'd Lerk is deadly.
    I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.