Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows Desktop Product Life Cycle Support and Availability

Product life-cycle policies provide advanced notification of planned changes in product availability and support. Under the previously published Microsoft® Windows® Desktop Product Life-Cycle Guidelines (published in February 2001), Microsoft planned to make Windows desktop operating system licenses available for purchase for a minimum of three years and assisted support offerings available for four years after general availability.
    LINK
    WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, they needed to publicize this a few years back...

Spectre
    Heh...all of us in the Microsoft loop knew about this years and years ago.

You all don't seriously expect the company to support all it's software forever do you????

I can see it now, it's 2013 and SOME dumb shmuck is still running Win98SE proclaiming that it was the best OS EVER!!!! LOL!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have a DOS box, :-)
    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I agree with Microsoft's announcement, but they should have REALLY publicized it back in 2000 when they first made it... It may have eliminated this little surge of public outcry that they're getting right now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre

You all don't seriously expect the company to support all it's software forever do you????

I can see it now, it's 2013 and SOME dumb shmuck is still running Win98SE proclaiming that it was the best OS EVER!!!! LOL!!!!
    It aint that I didn't know about it till now. It is that I sen it was recentely updated and figured there would be someone here in forums less smarter then the rock that is Holly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they charge a lot for new versions, yes. It's not like support from Microsoft is free either. Unless the problem is a bug in MS's software, you pay dearly for each support call.

Spectre
    Tell ya what...lets see how many folks here ACTUALLY paid for their copy of Windows. THEN we'll talk about what Microsoft should and should not do...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell ya what...lets see how many folks here ACTUALLY paid for their copy of Windows. THEN we'll talk about what Microsoft should and should not do...
    Ok this is a loaded question. Which copy of winblows you refering about? LOL I paid for win 95, and since XP came out have had a dealer licences so I guess you could say I paid for XP PRO and Home, 2003 server,and Longhorn. But at same time I have NEVER needed support for them.

Spectre
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon
    Ok this is a loaded question. Which copy of winblows you refering about? LOL I paid for win 95, and since XP came out have had a dealer licences so I guess you could say I paid for XP PRO and Home, 2003 server,and Longhorn. But at same time I have NEVER needed support for them.
    Well, you get my point then...

I HAD an MSDN subcription that never ran out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im sure your talking about me

Win98ME owns

From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would have thought everyone caught on when they dropped Win95 support in 4th Quarter 2002. That just screams that old products will be phased out. Also 7 years is a long time to support any one distribution of any software. Too much changes and becomes no longer applicable to the masses. When generating business structure and cost reduction, Bill Gates ownz joo. Now if only he could produce quality software at the same time, instead of this bloated and antiquated system known as Windows.
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if i had a choice between support of ALL there OS's but those OS's are poor, and support of JUST the latest one, which is really good, id go for the 2nd option

just think, if they only supported the latest OS, it will be cheaper for them, and easier to keep the latest OS up to date....

and its not as if upgrade disks are expensive
    From Adam Webb

Spectre
    Quote Originally Posted by L0GiCaL1
    You would have thought everyone caught on when they dropped Win95 support in 4th Quarter 2002. That just screams that old products will be phased out. Also 7 years is a long time to support any one distribution of any software. Too much changes and becomes no longer applicable to the masses. When generating business structure and cost reduction, Bill Gates ownz joo. Now if only he could produce quality software at the same time, instead of this bloated and antiquated system known as Windows.
    Man oh man...people REALLY don't have a clue as to how much technology went into Win2K/XP. Folks just "hate" Microsoft 'cause their some "big rich company." Gimme a break. Without Microsoft the world would be in chaos when it comes to PC compatability and ease of use.

I really fail to see how "bloated" Windows is when I only have a commit charge of 87MB of ram on a machine with 1GB of memory. User error perhaps??? Spyware maybe??? Systray full of IM clients and other assorted junk???

Here's the fix...it's called MSCONFIG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Spectre is a good source concerning MS. Everyone knows he has already sold his soul to Bill Gates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast