Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toshiba Creates World's Smallest Hard-disk Drive

This year at CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in Vegas they had a display of new technology and from some the picture I liked this one best.

Toshiba asserts that this is the world smallest hard drive (0.85 inches). Apparently the only way in the world to show how small something is, is to put it next to a quarter. If the US government ever changes the official size of this coin, companies making really small products could be in trouble. Toshiba officials told us that this tiny drive will show up in 2- to 4 GB configurations in cell phones, MP3 players and digital cameras sometime this summer.
    Info LINK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah man, id lose that easy....

but realy, is there a reason for this? solid state would be far better in this type of use they planned it for...surely......
    From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlag
    but realy, is there a reason for this?
    Price?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudshark
    but realy, is there a reason for this?
    Price?
    Perhaps... But for some reason, I doubt that minitiarization (sp?) of magnetic techs is cheaper than that of flash mem... Then again, although the research may not be cheaper, I'm sure that production would be...

I'm just going to wait for organic memory to come out... That ought to be cheap enough...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality

I'm just going to wait for organic memory to come out... That ought to be cheap enough...
    organic? WTF do you smoke it when time to upgrade it LOL
    WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dragon... organic storage isnt THAT far away....

mechanical Harddrives are one of the slowest and oldest parts of your systems now, its about time they make solid state stuff.

id buy one, even if it was only 20gb... Windows will go no that, and the most played games, while the rest of my data goes on a standard HDD which would be set to close down after 5 minutes
    From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mechanical Harddrives are one of the slowest and oldest parts of your systems now, its about time they make solid state stuff.
    AFAIK, the hangup is that no current solid-state storage tech has a write speed even approaching those of a mechanical hard disk.

Emanon
    old news, smaller ones on the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by verbose
    AFAIK, the hangup is that no current solid-state storage tech has a write speed even approaching those of a mechanical hard disk.
    How about a hybrid? Just put 20G of RAM in your machine, and design the BIOS/OS to keep the most recently used 20gigs in memory. We'd still need hard drives, and we might still need seperate system memory, but I don't know why it wouldn't work. Even the cheapest DDR RAM is faster than any HDD...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rubbish, solid state drives totaly floods a SATA150 bus, while the BEST hdds put out a terribly low 50-90mb/s making even ATA100 pointless, let alone ATA 133 or SATA150
    From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a hybrid? Just put 20G of RAM in your machine, and design the BIOS/OS to keep the most recently used 20gigs in memory. We'd still need hard drives, and we might still need seperate system memory, but I don't know why it wouldn't work. Even the cheapest DDR RAM is faster than any HDD...
    there are some PCI cards that have a max of 4gb PC133 (easy to get hold of memory, and plenty of Bandwidth) they have an external PSU to keep the data alive after you shut down, and are bootable. but, they cost a couple of $1000
    From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are some PCI cards that have a max of 4gb PC133 (easy to get hold of memory, and plenty of Bandwidth) they have an external PSU to keep the data alive after you shut down, and are bootable. but, they cost a couple of $1000
    It's got to be a worthwhile feature for mainboards to develop for use as the primary drive... I suppose 10-20 gigs of memory would cost a bit, but the speed would be nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would love the "old days" of a Rom on the MB that boots the OS in seconds
    From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rubbish, solid state drives totaly floods a SATA150 bus, while the BEST hdds put out a terribly low 50-90mb/s making even ATA100 pointless, let alone ATA 133 or SATA150
    On read, quite possibly yes. All flash that I'm familiar with writes at a much slower speed.

Oh, and if you're bringing up HDD stats, at least compare to SCSI, not that IDE junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On read, quite possibly yes. All flash that I'm familiar with writes at a much slower speed.
    Even PC66 ram writes better than a HDD, i very much doubt that any solid state driver performs worse than PC66.....

Oh, and if you're bringing up HDD stats, at least compare to SCSI, not that IDE junk

err SATA has past SCSI in performance ages ago
    From Adam Webb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast