Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not surprised a bit.....

...Way to go Valve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He calls himself a journalist? That was the most badly writen story I have ever seen.

He mentions several problems about viruses but is very vague about them which just confuses the reader. He abreviates Microsoft to MS and assumes all readers will know what he is talking about. He uses the phrase "before they got the #&$^ viruses in the first place." What place do starred out swears have in a good piece of English?

He also expects valve to change its opperations for one LAN, and to be there to spoon feed perfectly capable admins, which is a lot to ask.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    He also expects valve to change its opperations for one LAN, and to be there to spoon feed perfectly capable admins, which is a lot to ask.
    That and he expects Valve to put forth alot of resources (time, personal, money) to support a free mod (CS) running on an outdated engine (HL) instead of putting those resources on new, upcoming projects

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hint to companies, when 1200+ of your most rabid fans are in a room together playing the game that made you, and is much of your ongoing income, don't blow off the people who set the event up.
    Eh? I'd say that Half Life made Valve, and was a major source of income. Counter Strike is mearly a popular free mod that they decided to sell as well.
    I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley

Eh? I'd say that Half Life made Valve, and was a major source of income. Counter Strike is mearly a popular free mod that they decided to sell as well.
    Major source of income many many years ago but is it Valve's bread and butter still? No. Valve is still providing alot of support for both CS and HL (updates are still being developed for the game) but to expect them to personally be on hand for a LAN event is just silly in my opinion, unless the LAN organizers are paying Valve for the support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh cr4p....I agree with Wolf....

I don't expect KFC to accompany me home and help feed me the chicken I buy, although that is the worst exapmle I could think of...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasn't Half-Life continued to outsell itself each year, selling more copies annually as the game ages? I seem to remember Half-Life as being the only game to accomplish that. If that is accurate, Half-Life would still be a major source of income for them. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CS and its mods drive nearly all of HL sales. "Free" is a misnomer. You still had to own HL (read: buy it). I never bought HL, but I did buy CS.

Besides, the HL name would be not be so prevalent if it were not for its mods. With HL2 coming out soon, that is important.
    FROM THE TACTICAL GAMER PRIMER.
    3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CS and its mods drive nearly all of HL sales. "Free" is a misnomer. You still had to own HL (read: buy it). I never bought HL, but I did buy CS.
    Then you sir have missed out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said I never bought it. I didn't say I never played it.
    FROM THE TACTICAL GAMER PRIMER.
    3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh. Pirate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny_
    I don't expect KFC to accompany me home and help feed me the chicken I buy, although that is the worst exapmle I could think off...
    You have KFC's on that side of the pond? :shock:

Shouldn't surprise me now that it's a PepsiCo product..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valve

[quote="Wolfie"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    That and he expects Valve to put forth alot of resources (time, personal, money) to support a free mod (CS) running on an outdated engine (HL) instead of putting those resources on new, upcoming projects
    My step-son, Mike Dussault, is a programmer at Valve. The new engine is awesome, I assure you. It blew me away; it was shown last summer at E3. Then, the source code mysteriously appeared on the internet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then, the source code mysteriously appeared on the internet.

I blame minja, I mean, geez, he's got insiders...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Valve

Quote Originally Posted by Minja
    My step-son, Mike Dussault, is a programmer at Valve. The new engine is awesome, I assure you. It blew me away; it was shown last summer at E3. Then, the source code mysteriously appeared on the internet.
    Could Mike explain why that caused a FIVE month delay in a game that was a week away from release? Surely that leak would just require a few changes in VAC or whatever is equivalent for HL2. This has puzzled me for a long time.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast