User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I give up.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I give up.

Vote for this ass all you want, we are all going to pay the price in the end.

"Under this proposal, the carefully crafted process used by the government to notify the public of an imminent danger is going to first have to be signed off by someone weighing the political hazards."
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/News/189564E117AF585586256E17007E600A?OpenDocument&Head line=White+House+seeks+control+on+health,+safety

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will wait until the full story comes out before deciding on this issue instead of listening to groups that oppose this measure. Hell, in the article itself, the OMB does not state what the final plan is and that they stated a couple of times that they are currently drawing up a final draft for further review.

Seems like some groups are running around like Chicken Little....

Also as an FYI to those that don't actually read the article and just the posts, Tempus's quote was not something based on the actual document itself but a reaction by an individual opposed to it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, how's this?

Quote Originally Posted by Direct from the article
    Under a new proposal, the White House would decide what and when the public would be told about an outbreak of mad cow disease, an anthrax release, a nuclear plant accident or any other crisis.

The White House Office of Management and Budget is trying to gain final control over release of emergency declarations from the federal agencies responsible for public health, safety and the environment.
    Just provide one good reason why the government should even be considering something like this.
    FROM THE TACTICAL GAMER PRIMER.
    3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standarization between the various departments....

Improved cordination between the various federal departments......

Doing a better job of informing the citizens.......

I know that is more than one but I thought it would nice to see additional ones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article listed things like mad cow because the article's writer is personally opposed to the plan and wishes to scare the reader. At least that was my interpretation. To even suggest that there would be a nuclear accident and Carl Rove would dive in and say "no no, we cannot tell the public yet until we figure out how to spin it" is absurd.

The suggestion is that the White House will factor politics into issues that until now have been immune to political considerations. This of course assumes that folks at the EPA and these other agencies are totally devoid of politics.

Just ask the fellas who wrote, signed, and released to the press the letter to which the article refers! Politics played no part at all in their decision to do that, just their concern for you and me. Right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leejo
    Just ask the fellas who wrote, signed, and released to the press the letter to which the article refers! Politics played no part at all in their decision to do that, just their concern for you and me. Right?
    Absolutly. How dare you suggest otherwise
    I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And people wonder why I don't vote.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that's silly Wyzcrak. You gotta vote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No he doesn't.

But then he has no right to complain later.
    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People not voting is how we got into this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    You've got to be kidding me..

You better believe that if that were in place today, we would not have been told about Mad Cow, since that cost the country $billions in meat exports, and was really 'no big deal'.

Basically, anything that might go against the economy and/or government would get squashed as deemed necessary.

Us 'proles' do not need to be alarmed, educated, or forced to think for ourselves..
    3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just an absurd suggestion Tempus. No serious person would ever suggest that.

NOTHING controversial in Washington remains secret. How long would it take someone to "leak" a mad cow outbreak? One of your letter-signing buddies in the EPA might drop a dime on the OMB, e.g.

Nothing but love here, but come on. This proposal probably has a LOT more to do with an effort to combine redundant press-relations departments to reduce cost, streamline communications, etc., than with some sinister plan to clamp down on bad news.

In any case, it's just a proposal, so breathe. Breathe!

Best regards,

leejo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote nuclear holocaust. Lets shoot 'em all into the sky and see which ones run out of rocket fuel first!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempus

You better believe that if that were in place today, we would not have been told about Mad Cow, since that cost the country $billions in meat exports, and was really 'no big deal'.

Basically, anything that might go against the economy and/or government would get squashed as deemed necessary.

Us 'proles' do not need to be alarmed, educated, or forced to think for ourselves..
    This has nothing to do with censoring private media releases, just gov't releases. Perfectly reasonable to me... We already do this with issues that are sensitive in other ways, this just clarifies things a bit for agencies that don't usually involve themselves in "national security".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempus

The people protesting this would love you Tempus. You automatically assume that the federal government will suppress information that can lead to thousands of deaths just to save a buck.

Personally, I will wait until I see what their final plan is before I start running around like Chicken Little.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the time you take your head out of the sand, it will be too late.

Want to borrow a history book? You don't think people have said the same thing as you a thousand times, only to turn around later and realize that it's too late? Do you think that governments simply say in advance: "Hey everyone, we are consolidating power at your expense. Is that ok?"

It seems that, by definition, it's the government's job to try to take more power for itself. It's the job of the people to keep that in check.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast