Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Network 42 Mars Rover :)

Well, maybe not, but JPL's sportin' our digits in this animation.

[quicktime video] http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/video/movies/mer_rovernav_240.mov [/quicktime video]

Fascinating videos about NASA's current Mars endeavors:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/video/

Wyzcrak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that was a cool video.... there's a whole lot going on in traversing just a few feet....

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it fascinating.

And I'm a geneous.

Wyzcrak

calm down. the typo made the joke.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all the steps involved with moving even a foot are neat.

Seems like a kool step towards AI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I don't feel too bad about saying "Take a knee on insert and we'll sort out some movement instructions." Seems simple in comparison.

I also have to wonder WHY JPL made that little video beauty, and how much that added to the cost of the project.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have to wonder WHY JPL made that little video beauty, and how much that added to the cost of the project.
    In comparison to the cost of figuring out how to rove independent of human control, that movie was prolly pennies.. A big part of NASA is education.

How fun that would have been to be part of the rover testing team, watching this thing move on it's own, realizing that the machine was son to be hundreds of thousands of miles away doing the same things...

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at the side-shots of the horizon taken by this thing. You know there are people there (NASA-type-JPL-land) who have spent YEARS analyzing top-down photographs of Mars, and probably have seen models of that terrain countless times.

But then to see a real photograph of that very same terrain, broadcast from a craft you helped design? That must be... in the true sense of the word.... awesome.

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    But then to see a real photograph of that very same terrain, broadcast from a craft you helped design? That must be... in the true sense of the word.... awesome.

Wyzcrak
    Awestabolous?

Heh, I was wondering how they could move a rover like that with out it getting stuck. I was always thinking "what if it got stuck?".

Those camera's work just like the human eyes in depth preception.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AWESTABOULUS!

My concern is wind. I'd like to know what they did to prevent that thing from getting blown on its side, and what they can do to recover from it.

Wyzcrak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the wind is like hurricane speed on mars, the atmosphere isn't as thick as ours. It would just seem sorta breezy to us, That is, If the sand wasn't so damn pointy...

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of things get pointy in hurricanes.

Wyzcrak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NothingMore.
    Heh, I was wondering how they could move a rover like that with out it getting stuck. I was always thinking "what if it got stuck?".
    Well they would just type "/stuck" obviously.

Awestabulous
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lmao, and the rover would teleport a couple feet, hahaha

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wmute wins.

Wyzcrak

FireMarshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    wmute wins.

Wyzcrak
    I so agree... However I think they forgot to install that plugin ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast