Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NothingMore - Fade style!

Okay, So this is being posted here because I'd like to see more skilled fades on the server. I'd also like to see more people able to kill the skilled fades.

Here goes.

- Fade.
    Fading is all about blink. Blink is a powerful tool that was made so the fade could execute powerful hit and run attacks. To be an effective fade you must use blink to all it's ability. Blink, in one short click can get you accross a room very quickly, if you use it in conjunction with jump. This can create alot of confusion among the marines. If you jump and then blink you'll propell into the air. If you have fast switch enabeled... the command escapes me at the moment, you can blink into the air, and during the peak of the arch, you'll be able to look down on the battle. during this time of usualy a little less then a seccond try to pick the best posible target, a marine. move yourself with blink, and strafe keys to intercept your newfound target, land close to him, swipe once, maybe twice, jump, blink into the air. Keeping in mind where that marine was, pick another target, another marine. land next to him accordingly, swipe a couple times, blink into the air again, try to find your first target, if you can't, no big, just find another. if you do, blink down and kill him, then blink into the air again, find you're seccond target, blink down and kill him. rinse, repeat. try landing ontop of marines some times as well. this is just plain funny, swipe down and hit him. If you can land ontop of marines everyonce and a while, it will throw off his friends trying to shoot you. as most of the time they wait for you to hit the ground to unload on you. by landing ontop of him you create the illusion that you're still in the air.

- Shotguns.
    Shotguns pose the only real threat to a skilled fade. all fades are scared of shotguns. when the commander hands them out, choose oppertunities very carefully, as you can die quickly to skilled shotguners. mediocre shotguns shouldn't pose too much of a threat. you can die to a shotgun in two to three shots. Land behind the mairne and swipe then blink before he can turn around and get the shot off. If one marine is on the outskirts of a group, land sothe marine is inbetween you and his friends, his friends will shoot at you, but hit the marine in the way, possibly killing him if FF is on. Try to confuse the target before you attack by blinking over his head.

- Lerks.
    Lerks are your best friends. spores will get rid of armor and make the marines much easier to kill. A skilled lerk will umbra the marines when you land as to block bullets and increse the amount of time you can stay on the ground, the longer you're on the ground, the more damage you can inflict. If the marine has no armor, and you swipe once, you'll deal 80 damage, and he'll have 20 left, spores will kill him in a seccond or two. Spoes are very useful against shotguns.

- Skulks.
    You can work to distract the marines as fade and let a skulk kill your targets for you.

- Onos.
    You can't do too much to help an onos, Just stay out of his way and try to kill any marines holding hmg's.

- Mines.
    Even the most skilled fade can die to mines. Some marines will stand by mines and wait for you to land and try to kill him. He'll lure you over 5 mines and kill you and him self. He respawns for free, you don't. When you don't have acid rocket, the only thing you can do is try to avoid the mines. call a gorge to bile bomb the mines if possible, just don't be near the mines when he does this, You'll die.

- Bunny hoping.
    With blink, if you land too far from a marine, jump when you hit the ground, you'll retain most of your speed and can close that gap and swipe him. Also, if you're good at bunny hoping, you can blink, and then bunnyhop around the map, saving adreneline.

- Watch.
    I learned to fade by watching a public player that used to play on our server not too long ago. His name was Tajak. I was amazed by the damage he could inflict as fade, and i wanted to do the same thing. So joined his team, and watched him when i died. I learned alot just by watching him. Emanon, Polska, and Sasuke are good fades as well, watch them too. See what you can pick up.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent write-up, with useful and re-useable information, and a conclusion promoting continued education.

*Sticky*

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: NothingMore - Fade style!

Quote Originally Posted by NothingMore.
    If you have fast switch enabeled... the command escapes me at the moment,
    hud_fastswitch 1

And unfortunatly, the majority of these tactics are invalid in 3.0 as it stands currently
    I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, but when is that gonna happen? psht 3.0 is a myth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think 3.0 will change much, at least not for me i think. In my opinion the only thing you need to learn is to blink well. The new hitboxes will affect those fades who choose to stay on the ground or choose to fly around a room aimlessly. Learn to blink effectively and switch weapons quickly (lastinv or fastswitch) and I think youll still be fine for 3.0.

I try to not stick around an area for long and I try to constantly stay on the move blinking. Although constant blinking can be rough on adren early but jump+blink tap works well. Besides you only need enough adren to swing 2 times tops. If you stay on the ground for more then 2 swipes you are playing with fire (in a heated battle anyway).

Also treat a single marine as if he were in a group. Don't think just because hes alone you can stay on the ground and swing at him 15 times. If you do so you will leave yourself open to his buddies. I think keeping this in mind will be more important when AA fire becomes mroe effective heh.

As breathing mentioned and im sure you all know shotguns strike fear into the hearts of fades. Whenever I deal with a shotgun I try to swipe only once and then blink away. Even swiping twice can cost you your life.

I'm done yacking, get out there and blink.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Emanon
    Run even if you have plenty of health, cause the marines will follow you thinking your in hot water and then just wait for them around the corner. Then they will realize you are either a god or just playing them.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget the possibility that you're a god AND just playing with them.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: ...

Quote Originally Posted by Polska
    >blinking advice<
    I agree with all of that.

*this is a rant, all info subject to change on 3.0 As for Sasuke's comment on 3.0 being a myth, its closer than you think.*

[rant]
    The problem with the Fade right now in 3.0 is its not worth its cost. In the hands of a skilled player, say Nothing or Polska, it will still cause damage, but you'd get taken down pretty fast as it stands right now. ONE Level 3 Shotty blast to a Fade will take it to red, with no armor. And with the new hitboxes, this is insanely easy, as the Fade is a primarly Melee unit. Even if there are no upgrades, and you don't hit the Fade dead on with each blast, you can still take a Fade down in 3 hits, 4 if you really suck.

Blink you say, after the first blast? Sure, that'll work wonders against Rambos. That suck. Try a group of 3+ marines, or one with good aim, and your so much hamburger. 60 res (yes the cost has been increased) down the drain. Countered by a 10 res boom stick, or no cost at all in most cases as LMGS can chew you a new one just as easily.
    [/rant]

All this Fading info is very relevent to the current version however. So enjoy it while you can

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when 2.0 came out.

People flung opinions around, Some still apply, Some don't.

Heh, 3.0 will just call for more innovation, Bring it on. :twisted:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I cant really respond to what you have said Bentley since I ahvent tried it. If its as bad as you say then its role can be shifted to mainly hunt nodes. If I dont like the new fade, I may go back to my old love, the lerk, I just wish umbra was still useful. **umbra, chomp chomp ,umbra , repeat**.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I'm mostly just bitching about the current situation. At least I hope to god that the Fade changes before release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been working on my fading recently and I need advice on changing from blink to swipe and back quickly. I have recently bound v to lastinv, but I still dont find it perfect. I have hud_fastswitch 1.

I have a 3 button mouse, with jump as middle button, but no mousewheel.

I have had some luck with blinking down the long corridor in the middle of eclipse. Blink to a rine facing the other way, changing in mid air and swiping as I land. This is an ideal situation and it is much harder in an open room, with 3 rines and sticky-outy bits on the walls.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sticky-outy bits on the walls.

When engaging marines I generaly don't hold down my blink button, I just tap it to fly around. I have lastinv bound to Q, with fast switch on. What I'll do is tap blink in towards a marine, and lastinv while in midair, so the claws are out and ready to go when I land. Swipe once or twice, lastinv back to blink and tap out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use numbers to switch weapons, with fast switch enabeled.

My movement controls are WSAD though, so the numbers 1 & 2 are close to my fingers at all times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As breathing mentioned and im sure you all know shotguns strike fear into the hearts of fades. Whenever I deal with a shotgun I try to swipe only once and then blink away. Even swiping twice can cost you your life.
    Stay away from shotguns. Period.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast