Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Micheal Moore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Micheal Moore

You lot must have some opinions.

I read SWM, and am reading DWMC, and they are intriguing. I can see that he goes overboard and jumps to a few conclusions, but he seems to make some valid points.
    Is it worth me raising them or is he generally disregarded?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well he isn't saying anything new, but it is important that these messages reach a wide audience, and he has certaily done that. His journalistic errors/ dishonesty has been pionted out to me, but I still think his basic message is very true.

I read SWM and saw BfC but I can't be bothered with DWMC.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, seeing how he fails to get his facts straight, I refuse to read/watch anything that he has written/produced.

It doesn't matter if you think his message is noble or right. If it is surrounded by half truths and outright lies, how can you make an informed decision based on what he is trying to say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty safe to say that 99% of the TG population hates this man's guts

Me? I like him. He makes some very valid (albeit general) points about the American way of life while interjecting humor to keep the reader's interest. He's OK in my book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, fair enough. I'll let it go.
    But, irrespective on your views of the person Wolf, you cannot disregard all of someones points, or can you? Some may be cr4p, but there are some fundamental questions he raises. To ignore those questions would be wrong wouldn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny_
    ok, fair enough. I'll let it go.
    But, irrespective on your views of the person Wolf, you cannot disregard all of someones points, or can you? Some may be cr4p, but there are some fundamental questions he raises. To ignore those questions would be wrong wouldn't it?
    I don't disregard their viewpoints, just them and their sources. Remember, I have a love for history and read alot of books. Just recently I found a new author that I was reading and found a major error in the latter portion of his book that now makes me question everything else in that book.

If someone feels strongly about something, than by all means, write about it. But don't twist the facts to make your point. Twisting facts is a cheap and dishonest way to get people to believe in what you want them to believe. And calling anything a documentary that is full of half truths and lies is dishonest (Michael Moore would get points in my book if he admitted to the fact that his "documentary" should be classified as fiction and return his Oscar for "Best Documentary"...however, since he hasn't, it makes me believe that Michael Moore doesn't care about things like honesty and respect but instead just in it for the name recognition).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikoLovesYou
    It's pretty safe to say that 99% of the TG population hates this man's guts

Me? I like him. He makes some very valid (albeit general) points about the American way of life while interjecting humor to keep the reader's interest. He's OK in my book
    I agree totally. He makes great poiints that you have to take serious in a way
    WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What fundamental questions has Michael Moore raised that haven't already been raised and beaten to death a thousand times before?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough.

I have seen BfC and although 'enjoyed' is the wrong word, I thought it was alright, but I didn't check any of the sources. any links? (not disputing am interested to see is all)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael Moore brings up issues that I feel are often underscored in our society, such as our violent nature and the culture of fear that has developed. These are important issues that I wish were discussed more in America.

Sadly, he abandons a meaningful discussion when he distorts facts, harasses interviewees, and resorts to berating seemingly random people (this is based off of Bowling For Columbine, btw). Rather then engaging the opposition in an important debate on several issues, he turned himself into some Liberal playboy for the stupid masses to huddle around.

I hate both sides, here. I may not like Michael Moore, but I'm much more concerned with Bush. Right now we are lacking compromisers and honest men; and in an era where the minority that screams the loudest wins, things are only getting noiser - not better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who has spent alot of time watching what American people have been pumped up with. Facts distorted, and this is true especially when it comes to "other countries", views twisted and general misinformation.

When i saw Bowling for Columbine, I found that it did ring home in alot of aspects. Primarily it wants to identify the issues of why Americans kill eachother. It effectively dismisses all the fiction surrounding movies, violent games, break up of family units, even history. Distortion of facts is used as a tool and not as means of deception.

For one, I have been the regional champion in Croatia, I know how to handle and use firearms and there are lots of other people who choose that hobby rather than playing soccer. In my home town of 300,000 people (there may be more now) in 20 years that i lived there, the only page i read in the news paper was the section of all bad stuff that happened. People die in car crashes mainly only once did i read about the murder and even that was a loony who chopped his wife with a cleaver. Not once did anyone shoot another person in that time, let alone killed someone. We do not lock our doors either. We don't watch Cops, nor are we inanduated with images of people being arrested. Even here in UK you hardly get such imagry on mainstream TV.

What Moore did was to show the mentality of Americans who take the 2A to its extreme. What did that woman say, cut the middleman? For Example, in Croatia military service is mandatory. All men over the age of 18 have had 1 year military service. They know all about weapons, mines, bombs, where, what and how. You want a gun, you get a licence and you can have as many as you want, yet still we hardly ever hear of people shooting eachother. That just doesn't happen. The only difference is the mentality of people, and if Moore distorts the facts to show how big that difference is to, in effect, stun people into thinking a bit more of why you lot kill eachother, good for him.

At the end of the day, people all around the world have the right to own firearms, they choose not to. Why? Violence perpetuates violence. Wars will cease being when people refuse to fight.

ADDITION:
    I think he is on the right track, paranoy... it will kill you all. What are you people afraid of?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan
    At the end of the day, people all around the world have the right to own firearms, they choose not to. Why? Violence perpetuates violence. Wars will cease being when people refuse to fight.
    There was something I recall that I thought was highly amusing and fits here.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares shall plow for those that don't"

It goes something like that, even if I didn't get the entire phrase correct :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife Dianne and I are strong believers in what Michael Moore stands for. We don't always agree with his methodology or even his personality, but he does make his points. He is a polarizing figure, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    none of this still answeres the question, what are you people afraid of?

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast