Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me out here fellas...

Everytime I reboot, my connection window shows up, something is trying to dial my net connection :evil: How do I go about finding which program is trying to do this ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can browse to the "Run" command and run "msconfig". On the startup section, you can control ( and see) which apps launch on startup. In my experience, it's usually pretty easy to tell which one's doing the dial-up. Some instant messenger app?

I hope that helps.

+PARADOX+
    I would start by running ad-aware and see what kinds of nasty programs are running on your PC. It should detect any of those rogue DU installers

http://lavasoft.element5.com/default.shtml.en

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah, I forgot that Phyllis don't need no stinking firewall...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leejo
    oh yeah, I forgot that Phyllis don't need no stinking firewall...
    heheheee ...I had to open my mouth..didn't I

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A firewall like ZoneAlarm will tell you exactly what program is trying to access the internet.
    FROM THE TACTICAL GAMER PRIMER.
    3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempus
    A firewall like ZoneAlarm will tell you exactly what program is trying to access the internet.
    and it is free :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll get something....does it have any effect on my connection ?? ...'cause any slowdown to my already lightening fast dialup is something I don't need

....and thanks for the suggestions...it was some eUniverse thingy.... :evil:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phyllis
    I'll get something....does it have any effect on my connection ?? ...'cause any slowdown to my already lightening fast dialup is something I don't need
    Nope, though you will have to teach ZA which programs are okay and which are not okay. And you can setup known good programs to always access the internet (like GR and HL launcher) while making programs like email and explorer have to ask every time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sygate also has a free firewall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will try d/l Zone tonight...see what happens I thought I had d/l it long ago, but can't find it anywhere...ugh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zonealarm Vs the firewall native to XP
    Any thoughts? I haven't tried the XP one yet, but I did have zone alarm once. I get the impression that you have to really mess around with firewalls and spend a bit of time to get a usefull level of protection and full functionality.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    Zonealarm Vs the firewall native to XP
    Any thoughts? I haven't tried the XP one yet, but I did have zone alarm once. I get the impression that you have to really mess around with firewalls and spend a bit of time to get a usefull level of protection and full functionality.
    XP's firewall only restricts incoming data (it won't stop your computer from participating in a DDOS because of the latest virus...)

ZoneAlarm restricts data (incoming and outgoing) based only upon whether or not you have given that particular application/program permission to access the network (you can grant permission "this time only", "from now on", "not this time" and "never"... This method certainly has it's weaknesses, but for practical purposes, it's quite effective.

I use and recommend ZoneAlarm for the average user, combined with a good AV program and a good spyware program.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is: XP's firewall is just that. Zonealarm is a firewall + an IDS (Intrution Detection System). Firewalls don't care about what actual traffic entails. They just block everything you tell them to (Everything Out/Nothing In).

I've had bad luck from Zonealarm personally, but properly configured: it's pretty good.

Of course, I'm old-school in that I prefer an actual hardware device for my firewall. I currently use the Linksys firewall built into my router, but if you want that public IP for yourself, then you do need a software firewall. The XP firewall is pretty solid, but is hard to configure for certain advanced tasks like port forwarding.

If you just game/browse the Internet: the XP firewall (and Anti-Virus) should be about all you need as it tends to be a lot less resource intensive than Zonealarm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XP's firewall will be improved in SP2. I read a preview that showed it's new features that allow more control over what ports are open and other stuff. It might be worth using when SP2 comes out.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.