Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Last Stand !

This is the most awsome movie i have ever seen!

http://www.infoaddict.net/tn1_production/The%20Last%20Stand%20-%20tn1%20production%20-%202004.rar

takes a while to dl! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeezus dude, 358 MB!!!

They should put up a freaking torrent, seriously!

Hmmm, now there's an idea for a cool site, BF1942+mod movie torrents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CK
    They should put up a freaking torrent, seriously!
    Somebody point me in the right direction. I still have no idea what these "torrent" things are... I feel seriously out of the loop.... I know that they're for filesharing, but I can't tell if they're P2P or something else...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Torrents IMO should be THE way to distribute files of any nature. Patches, demos, downloads, anything. It requires someplace to "seed" the download. IE: to have the whole thing. As people request the file, they are allocated "chunks" of the file to download.

Person A has the whole file, person B wants to download it.
    Person B downloads CHUNK A from Person A.
    Person C wants to download the file too.
    Person C downloads CHUNK C from Person A.
    Person C downloads CUNNK A from Person B.
    Person B starts downloading CHUNK B from Person A
    Person B starts downloading CHUNK C from Person B

I think you can see how this progresses. It addresses the fact that most people on broadband connections have greater DL speeds than upload and will actuall make downloads FASTER as more people simultaneously download it.

That's a VERY non-technical example of how the whole system works.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, bittorrent rules. It's one of the few things which will consistently max out my 3mbit connection. You're makin dinner and want to watch an episode you don't have yet, if you can find a torrent it'll be ready by the time your dinner is.

The only problem with bittorrent is that the links to seeds are on index websites, which are vulnerable to "cease and decist" orders from the media companies, and the seed servers are also vulnerable to cease and decist orders. As well the seeds/torrent-links are spread all over the net, making it not as easy to build a critical mass of people unless the link gets publicised or the index site is popular enough.

Now if only someone could put in the "simultaneous upload from an incomplete download" thing into something like Kazaa, then you'd be cooking!

That's the key to bittorrent's speed and continuity. Everyone interested in a given file are all connected together sharing the upload responsibility and creating a continual "pool" of sources for the file - whereas on Kazaa currently a given file can't be uploaded until you've got the compelte file, and if your source dies you may end up with a file/hash in your queue for download that never appears again.

It also helps that many clients will tell you how much data you've uploaded in kind, so you can leave your client running long enough to upload as much as you've downloaded, which *really* speeds up the system. Also they'll tell you how many people are still online that have a complete copy of that file (necessary for things to keep going), so if you're the last person online with a complete copy, you can choose to keep your client running and ensure that the file remains "seeded" for others, without having to provide all the data since everyone is forming a tree of data-sharing downstream from the seeds.

Somebody point me in the right direction. I still have no idea what these "torrent" things are...
    First go find a client, then go find a few websites that list torrent links, such as this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apophis
    Torrents IMO should be THE way to distribute files of any nature. Patches, demos, downloads, anything.
    Hee hee, it just occurred to me that if everyone did this, it would put fileplanet out of business.

Gotta hate being on the wrong end of disruptive technologies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, torrents are only real effective when dealing with highly popular files?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First go find a client,
    Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Torrents IMO should be THE way to distribute files of any nature. Patches, demos, downloads, anything.
    I smell TacticalTorrents.com coming soon....

www.TacticalTorrents.com : THE place for demos, patches and updates to be legally distributed!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!
    I was only half kidding... I bet you could get permission to help distribute patches and demos in this manner...

You'd only be unique for a few days or weeks until FilePlanet puts up their Torrent page, but you might get a sizable chunk of market share in that short time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    First go find a client,
    Any recommendations?
    A knowledgable friend recommends this one - http://www.shareaza.com/ - note that it also does a couple other networks as well.

I still use this other old one which allows me to control the upload bandwidth - http://ei.kefro.st/projects/btclient/ - drawbacks: it hasn't been updated since May so it still creates a large empty "target" file at the beginning, and it doesn't present a single view for all your downloads, individual windows for each one.

Hee hee, love the Tactial Torrents name! Seriously though, a method of drawing more eyes to TG, and you can control the bandwidth used! Also an easy method for community members to contribute to TG, by adding seed bandwidth to the TG torrents by leaving our clients open/connected.

FireMarshal
    Absolutly awsome film... well worth the Download... Good find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!! that was rally awesome. They obviously spent some time at it. Now how do I engage rocket boosters on my dune buggy?
    "On My Commad, Unleash Hell"
    "And Let Slip The Dogs Of War"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RYN
    Wow!! that was rally awesome. They obviously spent some time at it. Now how do I engage rocket boosters on my dune buggy?
    Thats a mod to Desert Combat (a mod to a mod?) called DC Extended...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast