User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heard on Team Speak last night...

ShadowRIP: "The ground came up to my plane!"

Fantatik: "Yeah, Terrain got in your way huh?"

Sorry, I was eavesdropping. Still waiting for my new video card to come so I can jump in!

Shad0wRIP
    LOL.........We were flying along towards our targets it was a fairly long flight and pretty boring as we all know. So with ALT HLD on we were talking away about a mission i created that we had just got done testing....not paying attention to the game all that much just waiting for some targets to come into view all of a sudden the ground was right on my plane it was just there i could see the horizon still and i was flying at it however we had reached the foot hills that were gradually rising by the time i realized what was happening and went to turn off ALT HLD and pull up it was too late!

That's my story and i'm sticking to it!

Great can't wait to have ya in game....oh ya and then i'll post about all the "oooops" dumb thing you do! LOL j/k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just goes to show that we fly too low for our own good. Maybe we ought to start using a 10,000 ft minimum cruising altitude? Gives us time to react to pop-up SAM's as well.
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't the A10 meant to be a low altitude fighter lol?
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only during battle, and 10,000 ft is not really that high considering it's max ceiling is over 30,000 ft. Also using stand-off weapons like the Maverick, the altitude gives you more time at higher speeds to lock and shoot. Nice for taking on multiple Shilkas or SAM's.
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can get to 30,000. In the F15 I find it really hard to get up to 30. I wonder how the hog gets on?

Haven't seen you around for a while Logical - you gonna be on this week?
    Jex.

Shad0wRIP
    Ya it's like nearly impossible to get the A10 to an alttitude of over 10,000 without lossing to much speed if you try to do it gradually by the time you reach 10,000 you already at your targets. I haven't had a problem locking multiple targets from 3500-5000. found even the f15 struggles to get above 20,000 without significant speed issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With 10 degrees elevation you should be able to hold ~260 knots with ease in the A10 and climb to 10,000 ft. The real issue is the fact that we are operating in a very limited environment most of the time instead of planning missions that have a 50-60 nm distances to IP. Once you get to 10k ft, you should have a little while to cruise at that altitude (this also gives you better views of the target area especially in rougher terrain) then start your quick decent run (which gives you lots of extra speed so you can actually bleed off some in high G turns and still be at good cornering speed during turn exit).

The F-15 should actually be operating at 15k to 20k ft as most acft generally cruise at that altitude. Also the higher altitudes give you manuever room to chain up complex turns and align on target tracks.

Jex, I'll be on.. last week was strange for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shadowrip you really must try to stay awake while flying... yes the a10 has a hight hold and a speed hold but if you are flying at a mouintin it aint got a climb hold.....

glad to see another member comming over to the flight team. we need all the fighter/bombers we can muster.

DudeMan / Flight Sims Admin

Fanatik
    The A10 is a slow mover when it comes to gaining altitude, but depending on the mission, a higher altitude can be appropiate. True, the A10 is intended for low level engagement, but it really depends on the weapon that you want to deploy. Mav's need a good line of site to lock, and too low makes it difficult if not impossible (especially the way the game models target acquisition). If you need to drop dumb bombs like the Mark82 and 84 a low level approach with a bump up to divebomb is the right method. Guns are best at very low altitude .... so it would seem we need to be flexible and not fixate on any one method of approach. As far as the F15, I find a crusing altitude of around 20,000 to be a good engagement altitude... personnaly I haven't had any problems getting to 20,000 feet, in fact, I find the thrust of the F15 in the game to be great... I think sometimes guys expect it to be a rocket, which it is not... your expectations may be a bit too high... I'm rambling again...
    Chek6... Fanatik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad0wRIP
    Great can't wait to have ya in game....oh ya and then i'll post about all the "oooops" dumb thing you do! LOL j/k
    You're going to have plenty of opportunities I'm sure!