Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: Palms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Palms

Anyone have any good recommendations on a Palm Pilot or Handheld or whateva the current lingo is?

I'm clueless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I call them PDA's.

Dell has a decent line of handhelds. They phased out the Axim X5 that I bought last year. The new X3i has built-in WiFi and supports SD cards. I like the X5 though since it supports SD and CFII formats. The basic version of the Axim is cheap too.

I hear the Palm Tungstens are really nice but quite expensive. I still prefer Pocket PC's. We bash MS but having a handheld device with a Windows OS has some advantages. Everything looks familiar and it has bundled apps. It'll handle your Outlook e-mail, contacts and appointments. There's WMP for your vids and music. It even supports themes. I have a TG background on my Axim. One thing is that Palm OS's probably have more software available since it's been out longer. That doesn't mean there isn't tons of third-party software for the PPC. You can have a Nintendo emulator if you want or several kinds of media players (some even mimic Winamp).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at the Tungsten E. $190 with word, excel, pwrpoint. Wonder if it syncs with Outlook or Outlook express?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Palms can do that. If it doesn't, it has to have third-party software out there to do it for you.

The basic Axim X3 is $199 but, like the Tungsten E, it doesn't have WiFi. I think the X3 has a larger screen since the Tungsten has that area for graffiti input and such. Although, stats say the Tungsten has a 320x320 screen and the Axim is 240x320. It makes no sense to me since the dimensions of the devices are about the same. PPC's still have the ability for graffiti input like the Palms but the input area appears on screen when needed. It also supports Word and Excel. I'm sure about PowerPoint too but I think you need to install the software, which should come bundled. It's all in "pocket" format so editing them might be different or require special software.

Another thing I noticed is the Palm has 32Mb of memory but a few Mb is used for the OS. PPC's have 32Mb flash for the OS and typically another 32Mb for the user. For what it's worth, Dell has the cheapest priced handhelds I have ever seen. Toshiba has a similar entry PPC for $249.