Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1

    Wyzcrak's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    17,534
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    scholarships for "purples" only...

    Now how stupid is this.... some people want to start a scholarship that you can only apply for if you're a certain race. What an insulting idea..

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/16/national/main600465.shtml

    Wyzcrak

  2.  
  3. #2

    Apophis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Northeast, USA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,337
    Blog Entries
    12
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger Williams Univeristy is a couple miles down the road from Network 42. I drive by it daily on the way to the office.

    I'll try and grab a copy of the school newspaper and scan in a picture of the ad they are running.

    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

    43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

  4.  
  5. #3

    Apophis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Northeast, USA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,337
    Blog Entries
    12
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I don't think their intentions are to be descriminatory, but I think a large portion of our population is evolved beyond the need for Affirmative Action and in some ways finds it's existance offensive.

    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

    43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

  6.  

  7. #4
    tycho
    Guest
    The Irony of this situation is astounding

  8.  
  9. #5

    CingularDuality's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas, USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When's Scottish-American Heritage Month?

  10.  
  11. #6

    Apophis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Northeast, USA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,337
    Blog Entries
    12
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *nod*

    I think the entire thing was done for the sake of irony alone.

    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

    43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

  12.  

  13. #7

    Wolfie's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    When's Scottish-American Heritage Month?
    Right after Ango-Saxon month :P

  14.  
  15. #8

    Daxx's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    When's Scottish-American Heritage Month?
    Well, we just had Winter-Een-Mass
    I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

  16.  
  17. #9
    Spectre
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    When's Scottish-American Heritage Month?
    Right after Ango-Saxon month :P
    Every month besides Feburary is Anglo-Saxon month...

    Affirmative action has it's place, however not in it's current incarnation.

  18.  

  19. #10


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    926
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Affirmative action has it's place, however not in it's current incarnation.
    i agree

  20.  
  21. #11

    CingularDuality's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas, USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre
    Every month besides Feburary is Anglo-Saxon month...
    Except for:
    Surprisingly, March is Irish-American Heritage Month as well as Women's History Month.
    April is Jewish Heritage Month
    May is Asian-American Heritage Month
    June is Gay/Lesbian Heritage Month
    July is National Foreign Language Month
    August is African Heritage Month.
    September AND October are Hispanic Heritage Month!
    November is American Indian Heritage Month.


    That leaves most of us white boys with only the first and last months of the year...

  22.  
  23. #12

    Geisha's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fr1j0l3
    Affirmative action has it's place, however not in it's current incarnation.
    i agree
    Me, too.

    The only argument for it that has ever had merit to me is that people that come from a poorer school district don't usually get the same educational opportunities and hence will have lower average scores on standardized tests. My anthropology professor claimed research indicates that the standardized tests are somewhat culturally slanted so maybe exchange students need a little slack too.

    Except for private monies (if it's your personal fortune sponsoring someone, make all the rules you want), I think the only "affirmative action" that's not pure discrimination is by schooling history.

  24.  

  25. #13

    DudeMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    london England
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: scholarships for "purples" only...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    Now how stupid is this.... some people want to start a scholarship that you can only apply for if you're a certain race. What an insulting idea..

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/16/national/main600465.shtml

    Wyzcrak

    yes because black people are so disadvantaged.....like bollocks

  26.  
  27. #14

    Nightfire's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check this out: i like affirmative action because it helps me as asain because it will give me that extra boost to allow me to go to college...but also, i dislike affirmative action because i don't like to be in a "minority"....although i'm in a so-called 'lucky' minority cuz we asain are stereotypically classified as "smart ppl" (at least here in LA )

  28.  
  29. #15

    CingularDuality's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dallas/Ft. Worth area of Texas, USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfire
    check this out: i like affirmative action because it helps me as asain because it will give me that extra boost to allow me to go to college...but also, i dislike affirmative action because i don't like to be in a "minority"....although i'm in a so-called 'lucky' minority cuz we asain are stereotypically classified as "smart ppl" (at least here in LA )
    First off, I understand looking out for #1. Even though I disagree with certain government programs, I certainly take advantage of them whenever I'm legally able.

    That said, won't you wonder if you could've made it on your own? Don't you think that perhaps all this affirmative action could hurt minorities? If inferior freshman are sent to universities based solely on their ethnic background, don't you think this is going to have a negative impact on society?

    I was going to make a joke about you doing your part to destroy that stereotype, but I didn't want you to take it the wrong way. It was the perfect setup, though. :P

  30.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Back to top