Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Hot Wings!! mmmm !

K...I'm making wings...well..not at this moment but soon and am looking for a good fail proof recipe

Basically, I'm seeing Hot sauce - Lousiana or Franks and butter (some say margarine) at a 3 parts butter to 1 hot sauce.

My prior experiences have presented me a little problem in that the sauce didn't stick well to the wings....just kinda ran off

I'll deep fry them in peanut oil, let cool and throw them in the sauce(previously cooked) and toss.

How tough is that?

Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmmmmmmmmm Now I'm hungry. No cooking tips for you, though. Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psi_RedEye22
    And after you do that the sauce just runs off? Sounds about right to me, that's how i made em for my superbowl party. Might be too much butter methinks, but I shall get back to you if I think of something else.

I will test tonight again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does sound like too much butter and i would not use margerines it seperates and the oils kurdle.... not nice... only use butter... but try to put like 2/3s the ammount you usually use..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ccccccc

Hmm messages has to be atleast 10 characters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed on the margarine- it gets nasty. I would suggest you consider dredging the wings in flour with some cayenne pepper and a few other basic spices- It'll give the hot sauce something to stick to, after frying the wings.

Just a thought, seeing as how I am currently baking Japanese Chicken Wings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by =luna=
    Agreed on the margarine- it gets nasty. I would suggest you consider dredging the wings in flour with some cayenne pepper and a few other basic spices- It'll give the hot sauce something to stick to, after frying the wings.

Just a thought, seeing as how I am currently baking Japanese Chicken Wings.

i would say good idea luna but i would erge you not to use flour, paprika or cayenne is ok though...

you generally use flour before you cook to make things stick.. I.E fish fingers... but after jjust leaves a bad taste in your mouth... but the cayennne and paprika will do the same job and add flavor..

as for the margerine, it is made up of mostly oil and it seperates into its original compound, so unlike butter it will just clump into its individual ingriedients... i have found this when making baisic shortcrusts or flaky pastries....

yes yes dont laugh i have a GCSE in cooking at grade A....call me a poof an you are dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? If I egg-wash my wings, then dredge them in flour and fry them RIGHT AWAY, they merely become a crispy outside, which absorbs the flavor of the marinade once baked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well yes thats if you cook the wings with the flour on first.. if you just add flour to the cooked wings and put them in the cooked sauce you will have uncooked flour. thats what i thought you meant.

i would still add some of that cayenne uncooked oto the cooked wings luna.. it lumps a bit on the wing and give little flavor bursts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by +Mot73+
    K...I'm making wings...well..not at this moment but soon and am looking for a good fail proof recipe
    Not to disagree with Dudeman's anti-margarine recommendation (I generally prefer butter to the fake stuff...), but this is the recipe that I've had success with:
    3oz Franks Louisiana Hot Sauce (also known as Durkees)
    1/2 stick of margerine (not butter)
    1 tablespoon of vinegar
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/8 tsp garlic salt
    Dash of black pepper
    1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 - 2 tsp of Tabasco sauce. (I use the habanero kind)

Mix all ingredients on LOW HEAT!
    It will kill the flavor if you heat it too fast.
    I found it on the internet long when I was living in North Carolina, and following it, I've had the best wings ever. The good thing about recipes is that they're good guidelines that can be adjusted for your personal preference.

BTW, I think the vinegar is the ingrediant that everyone's been neglecting to mention. It's what gets the sauce to "stick" to the chicken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Not to disagree with Dudeman's anti-margarine recommendation (I generally prefer butter to the fake stuff...), but this is the recipe that I've had success with:

I found it on the internet long when I was living in North Carolina, and following it, I've had the best wings ever. The good thing about recipes is that they're good guidelines that can be adjusted for your personal preference.

BTW, I think the vinegar is the ingrediant that everyone's been neglecting to mention. It's what gets the sauce to "stick" to the chicken.

well i would still strongly urge anyone making chicken wings to stay away from margerine and use unsalted butter.. or regular butter it has a better taste and the marg jsut doesnt work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok....Last Nights Mission went quite successfully...if I do say so myself...and well....I guess I just did!

2 things I did noticably different. One was let the wings fry about 5 minutes longer that usually which definately made them a little more crispy and secondly was in the sauce mixture.

I believe that the 3 to 1 ratio is off. As dudeman pointed out earlier, my problem in the past had been to much butter. I had to keep adding hotsauce to get the ratio correct. The fats from the butter were surfacing like the oil slick from the Exxon Valdez It was just plain nasty. As I increased the amount of hot sauce things begin to mix well together and gave the wings a good kick

I just added a bit of pepper to the mixture...just cuz and I felt like I was eating wings from the "Super Sub and 6 Pak" Shop

Thanks for the tips.

wings fried till just a little crispy and golden brown, butter, franks hot sauce and a dash of pepper! mmmmmmmm wings!

Extracted successfully!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good stuff glad i could be of some help. maybe we should start a tactical gamer recipe book. everyone makes something that you can eat while gaming ... then we refine the recipes and make a book....lol

or is this hust turnming too queer eye for the straight guy.....lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeMan
    good stuff glad i could be of some help. maybe we should start a tactical gamer recipe book. everyone makes something that you can eat while gaming ... then we refine the recipes and make a book....lol

or is this hust turnming too queer eye for the straight guy.....lol
    It's OK dude, we all knew, we're just waitin g for you to finally come out.

hehehe..

Although, it might be kinda cool to put together a "keyboard/mouse" friendly dishes for gamers.... I got a few ideas

tycho
    Deep fry your wings first, then put them into a tub ( container with lid ) with one part butter/magarine to 3 parts BBQ or hot sauce. Shake well and dump out into bowl. Works better if you fish the wings out with tongs or something, then pour what sauce you want onto the wings.

By shaking them up you get them nice and covered

At least, thats how I made em when I used to work at a Sports Bar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast