Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optional CD and the verb

Just a clarification of how verbose views and acts on optional Cheating-Death:

If a player is performing notably well, I will ask them to return with cheating death after the current round is done. I have done this a few times now, and the players in question have always complied with no objection. Me asking this of them is not an accusation of cheating, it is merely a request of them to take that "extra step" to assure the rest of the players that they're legit. I have never met a truly skilled player that has any problem doing everything in their power to prove their skill is real.

The reason I bring this up on the forums it twofold:

1) I've received a few comments of the nature "heh, verb, you know who you're telling that to right?". I may, I may not. It doesn't matter. All players start out equally innocent (or equally guilty) in my book. Player XYZ, no matter who she/he is and what CAL division they may play in matters not. They're good, and I'm going to ask them to run Cheating-Death.

2) Regulars. This is where it gets a bit touchy, and a bit gray. I personally would love every TG regular to run CD, each and every time. It sets a good example. Heck, I'd prefer every player to run it, regular or not. Some run it religiously (or automatically via their respecitve launcher), some don't. I'm not here to point any fingers. I admit to giving a few regs flak for not running CD, and I don't feel ashamed for doing so. It's been required here for a long time, so why stop once it's somewhat optional? Show the pubs you mean business. Show them you're willing to take that extra step.

That's the verb's take, and is his opinion only. If you disagree on any point, please make your case known. I'm not a closed-minded person, so please challenge anything you disagree with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, i'm sorry for playing under pseudonyms :P

um... as for CD, I don't use ASE because i've been too lazy to crack it and too cheap to buy it, which means i have to manually launch CD before TG, and then manually close it when i want to join any other server. This, tbh, is a pain in the ass. So when I see admins on, admins who know me, i usually tend to not run CD. Everyone should know by now that i don't cheat =\

and for clanmates, i can 100% vouch for them, as half of them are too sucky to be considered cheating, and the two actually are good enough to be suspicious probably won't object, but also probably won't bother going to the server either =\

the thing that annoys me the most is when there are rampant accusations of hax JUST BECAUSE of no-CD. OMG HES NO CD HES GOOD HES GOTTA HACK. Verb i know doesn't make those accusations, but when he calls for CD, those dumb pubbies around him will start a ruckus about CD.

in theory verb's right, in practice things get sucky.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke
    lol, i'm sorry for playing under pseudonyms :P
    I'll take this as a claim that you'll no longer be doing it on our server.
    um... as for CD, I don't use ASE
    Use HLSW. It's free, and will open CD every time you join any server.. and close it when you're finished. It's beautiful.
    and for clanmates, i can 100% vouch for them
    Show me a serious clan that wouldn't vouch for their own right up until (and sometimes after) the proof is offered.

If you're a regular on this server, show the admins and the people who support them some respect when you play here. Run CD. And play under a name we recognize. It's very easy.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, I think I should say, My clan name is dd.52 Cards ^_^. So if you see that name, it's me. I'll try to play under NothingMore most of the time though, but some times, I forget to change it, or just don't care to change it, or assume taht you know it's me.

Emanon
    The latest Forceware drivers 55.65 conflict with CD, So untill they are supported im a fish out of water.

I find that people playing under other names are fun. No problem with that, just no special treatment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use CD. Having said that, last night it was on but when I changed my name from
    [TG]HSantal' to HSantal' it said CD wasn't running???

Any idea why that would be?

ASE works for me without buying it. It just keeps asking if I would like to continue the free trial. I say YES, it carries on.
    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ----paranoid----
    Cd crates a better teamplayer enviroment. Like Wyzcrak said in a post....It's an idiot filter
    I know 3 or 4 people who play here that will prove your "idiot filter" theory wrong..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just curious...

What's the reason behind discouraging people from playing under other names?

Just wondering...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HSantal
    I always use CD. Having said that, last night it was on but when I changed my name from
    [TG]HSantal' to HSantal' it said CD wasn't running???

Any idea why that would be?

ASE works for me without buying it. It just keeps asking if I would like to continue the free trial. I say YES, it carries on.
    heh, I have problems with CD when the game crashes... CD gets like, loaded into the game and if the game crashes CD thinks its still running, so when you restart It dosent try and load itself into the new game. If I remember correctly it was on ulysses last night when that happened... like 2-3 people crashed at the same time from the RR and we all came back with the [No C-D] tag =p
    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    What's the reason behind discouraging people from playing under other names?

Just wondering...
    New names are great. The problem arises when I don't know it's YOU... when I can no longer rely on you for what I've spent the last several weeks/months learning that you're skilled in. My ability to make a tactical decision based on the presense of your skillsets in hindered. Strategy suffers. Gameplay suffers.

If I'm in BF1942, and Sarc is really good with Anti-Tank, and there's a tank coming, I'm looking for Sarc. If Sarc is running around using the name Falcon and not telling anyone, teamwork takes a hit. Teammate trust takes a hit.

I have no problem with new names. New identities are what bother me. The sad thing is that it's rarely intentional. I don't feel the need for it, but I guess I understand that some people just wake up in the morning and want a new name on the server. That's fine, if it's so important to you. But it's pretty simple. If you're using a name that most people don't know you as, do everyone a favor and announce it. If it's a temporary name, just give a shout out on the server. If it's going to be a more permanent change, announce it in the forums.

Obviously this isn't a problem for long if voicecomm is involved, but that's not always the case.

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinzalf
    heh, I have problems with CD when the game crashes... CD gets like, loaded into the game and if the game crashes CD thinks its still running
    I had this problem frequently until I configured my HLSW to manually destroy the CD process ID running in the OS when I exited HL. And of course HLSW launches CD every time I enter HL.

Now I don't have the problem. CD runs beautifully for me.

Wyzcrak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and for clanmates, i can 100% vouch for them, as half of them are too sucky to be considered cheating, and the two actually are good enough to be suspicious probably won't object, but also probably won't bother going to the server either =\
    To offer a few counter points:

I know of several, unrelated persons within a 50 mile radius of me that I originally vouched for as being 100% legit. These same people that I had no reason to doubt were later found to be cheating at one point or another.

There have been cases of CAL players found to be cheating, to the utter surprise and contempt of their clanmates. Same story: the clanmates honestly believed their companion to be completely clean.

I prefer to place my trust in an impartial computer program that gains nothing by being deceitful: Cheating-Death.

the thing that annoys me the most is when there are rampant accusations of hax JUST BECAUSE of no-CD. OMG HES NO CD HES GOOD HES GOTTA HACK. Verb i know doesn't make those accusations, but when he calls for CD, those dumb pubbies around him will start a ruckus about CD..
    I call for CD after the cheating accusations start to fly, in an effort to quell them. If the accused No-CD player just continues to play normally, the complaints only get worse. If the player leaves and returns immediately with CD, all the naysayers hush right up. Recent example: TheChad (if I remember his name correctly), the vet from CovertOral. He was dominating; things were heating up. I told him he was very skilled and asked him to return with CD, and he did. Game on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm Pi.
    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by verbose
    I call for CD after the cheating accusations start to fly ..... If the player leaves and returns immediately with CD, all the naysayers hush
    Thats if you believe CD actually stops cheating... trust me it dont. I can search google right now and find cheats that work with the latest CD... Its not that hard.

In my old age, I just stopped caring about whether or not so and so is cheating. If he has to cheat to kill me, then that must mean I'm pretty damn good..

Besides the game has build in cheats.. they're called "Motion Tracking" for the marines and "Scent of Fear" for the aliens... If you need anything more then that, then you just plain suck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hlsw messes up my gamma if i start ns through it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast