Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beta plugin: pseudo-reserved slots

Ok, as if our slot reservation system wasn't cooky enough already, I've just deployed (today) a new plugin to the server that basically allows CMs, VETs, and CD users the same consideration for auto-kick from a full server that RSRs enjoy presently. I'm calling their slots "pseudo-reserved" (PR) for now (until a better name is decided), as the player's slot doesn't become reserved until AFTER they join. These PR slots cannot auto-kick anyone in order to join a full server (as RSRs can random pubbie players), but they're considered equally with RSRs when looking for a player to auto-kick upon a member joining a full server.

This plugin is very beta. You can find a full description of the plugin and its motivations in my plugin description thread at ns.org.

The goal of this plugin is to help populate our server with players who understand how the game works. It's one small tactic to weed out the idiots and reward the players who appreciate teamwork, coordination, communication, and an overall good game of NS. It's not perfect, but I think it will be helpful. Time will tell.
    Please feel free to read that thread, but I would appreciate you guys posting feedback about this thread here, in this thread.. not at ns.org.

Wyzcrak
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 08-05-2004 at 11:23 PM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    define "vet"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that little yellow medal :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other words "people in a clan who read the front page"

I understand where you're coming from with this but I don't see how it's going to help populate the server. It only takes effect when it's full, which is rarely...

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zek
    In other words "people in a clan who read the front page"

I understand where you're coming from with this but I don't see how it's going to help populate the server. It only takes effect when it's full, which is rarely...
    Well, nothing happens overnight. If these players find our server to be a place where they're just a tad more likely to find good games and a tad less likely to be auto-kicked...

... every little bit helps, that's all.

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Bebhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    Yes, there are veterans so consumed with owning the other team that they don't have time to follow orders.

aww you added me, how sweet

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: beta plugin: pseudo-reserved slots

Just an update:

A couple of weeks ago, I changed this plugin so that CD users are not rewarded by this plugin when CD is required on the server.

Also, the plugin is presently imperfect, as I recently discovered that beta5 changed the way it handles NS icons (Guide/PT/CM/Vet/etc), which this plugin looks to when rewarding PR slots. This results in an imperfect and unreliable assignment of PR slots to those players having an icon which merits one. I've figured out what I must change about the plugin to resolve this issue, but I simply haven't done it yet. It should be done by the end of the week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    I've figured out what I must change about the plugin to resolve this issue, but I simply haven't done it yet. It should be done by the end of the week.
    What you meant to say was: "I may or may not have figured out what to change, but will know more in two weeks. I looks very difficult and will require more resources. and possibly a system upgrade."

Are you trying to make us developers look bad? Another slip-up like that and I will take away your secret nerd beenie and change the secret handshake.
    --
    CaveDog
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol @ cavedog...

.... mah beenie.