Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Passions of Christ

Anybody seen this movie? If so how is it?

My ... friend, wants to see it (she likes these kinds of movies) and I was wondering if I should bring my sunglass with the eyes painted on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Passions of Christ

Quote Originally Posted by _Ender_
    Anybody seen this movie? If so how is it?

My ... friend, wants to see it (she likes these kinds of movies) and I was wondering if I should bring my sunglass with the eyes painted on them.
    I have heard........

That if you can get past the fact that it is about Jesus and is labeled a christian movie you will love it. Lots of gore from what I heard and a great story line. I was so interested from hearing a friend talk about it that I am thinking about taking my girl to see it.
    WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funniest review I've read yet!

http://www.vutant.com/index.php?suba...t_from=&ucat=&

Dude, I got to start out by telling you that i absolutely didn't want to see this film. I've had it in for the Christians, frankly, ever since they protested Silent Night, Deadly Night back in the 80's. However, I'm dating this girl now, and she was all like, "Dunston, you make me go see all of those gross movies, could you just this once go see a movie I want to see?"

I tried to explain to her that seeing gorey movies wasn't just my hobby, that it was my job, but I love her and stuff, so she prevailed and I went.

Well, gore fans, let me tell you, I loved this film.

Roger Ebert has called it the most violent film he's ever seen. I won't go that far - I think that some of the classic Japanese anime movies are much more violent than this. I will say that I am going to see this movie again and again. The scourging scene alone was, for me, an erotic highlight not soon to be surpassed on screen.

But I get ahead of myself here. The movie starts out pretty slow. I was really worried that is was going to suck, but then the subtitles came in. As all true gore fans know, subtitles are a sure sign that you are in for some pretty serious gore. Frankly, torture is always more interesting in a foreign language, as I discussed in my essay "Attacchi Una Lamierina Arrugginita Attraverso La Mia Guancica - Torment in Italian Cinema."

Anyhow, Jesus is, as the song goes, way cool. He takes more punishment than any character I've ever seen in a movie. It turns out that "passion" used to refer to phsyical suffering - if I'd known that, I would have been the first in line to see the film. Jesus seems to have an endless supply of blood, which is awesome because it means he is able to keep bleeding for the whole film.

I can't deny the fact that the crucifiction was awesome. You really hear the bones of his hand crunch as the big spikes - I would call them nails - are driven through them. That is the sort of attention to detail that most gore movies leave out. Between this and the torture scene in Braveheart, I would like to formally annoint Mel Gibson "The Wizard of Gore."

Gore fans, don't let the fact that this film is about Jesus put you off. There is almost no religious content at all. Jesus is too busy getting stabbed, scouraged and beaten to do much preaching.

However, if you like realistic torture and execution, I would be stunned if you see a better movie all year.

I give this one four chainsaws (our of four).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm not much for gore, but I can't wait to see this movie. Anything that has the entire jewish community stirred up against the entire christian community has got to be worth seeing.

Besides, I understand that the gospels are one of the most historically accurate portions of the bible and that this movie follows the gospels fairly accurately.

It should be a good film, and for all the crap that Mel Gibson has had to put up with, I hope it does well at the box office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything that has the entire jewish community stirred up against the entire christian community has got to be worth seeing.
    I'd wager that if you actually polled the entire jewish community you would find a considerable percentage of jews unconcerned with the controversy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H-Hour
    I'd wager that if you actually polled the entire jewish community you would find a considerable percentage of jews unconcerned with the controversy.
    There's a huge difference between "every single jew" and the "entire jewish community", unfortunately... And that's a commentary on how we let "leaders" speak for us, regardless of how we feel about an issue....

I wish there were no such thing as a "silent majority".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do want to see it, just because I want to see the big deal with it, but then again its a Christian propaganda movie. I also find it kinda funny that all these Christian groups protest against all the violence in Hollywood movies now a days, yet this movie is being dubbed as the "most violent movie released to date" and they dont seem to have a problem with it. I would imagine its because its something they believe in.. sort of ironic if you ask me.

Oh well, guess I will bring my glasses, just in case...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by _Ender_
    but then again its a Christian propaganda movie.
    I think this one is anything but a propaganda movie. You know how I feel about this topic, Ender, but I think this one is going to be interesting.

Think of it this way. Even if you don't believe the bible is the truth (I believe you and I are in the same boat here), you have to admit that no other book has impacted our world as much as this one. Learning about and trying to understand why some people believe this guy was a god can only benefit you and I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah you and I are in agreement on this Dave. Thats why I wanted to get the opinions of those who have already seen the movie.

Still waiting for somebody who has actually seen it to tell me what they thought of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't deny the fact that the crucifiction was awesome. You really hear the bones of his hand crunch as the big spikes - I would call them nails - are driven through them. That is the sort of attention to detail that most gore movies leave out. Between this and the torture scene in Braveheart, I would like to formally annoint Mel Gibson "The Wizard of Gore."
    This guy is sick!
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Besides, I understand that the gospels are one of the most historically accurate portions of the bible and that this movie follows the gospels fairly accurately.
    Relative to the rest of the Biblical books, yes. Among themselves, however, the four aren't completley internally consistent with each other. Mark (the shortest and most unadorned of the four, and significantly has no "ascension" scene in the earliest versions) is believed to be the oldest, written before the other gospels and probably used as their factual source.

So which version of which Gospel? I doubt it would be antagonistic John, and Luke is a bit flowery, but Matthew or Mark would make good movies. It didn't say on the official website - anyone who's seen it know? Or is it just a conglomerate of what "we all know" (a phrase my devoutly Catholic PUBLIC jr. high Reading teacher used whenever she would preach during our classes)?

I also am curious about how much plot they can work into the Last 12 Hours of Jesus' Life. Politically, the pivotal point in Jesus' life is his scene at the Temple, since that's what allowed the Jewish Council to bring charges against Jesus to the Roman overlords. The Romans didn't care beans about Judaism's splinter groups, but a public disturbance they had to act upon. Please tell me the movie isn't just about showing the gorey horrifying mess that is crucifixion so that we'll all feel extra guilty for the poor man's pain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geisha,

you mentioned a Catholic school, then mentioned feeling guilty for the poor guy.... they taught you well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: Passions of Christ

Victor Hugo sounds nice but like a lot of cute sayings does not mean much. I and my wife plan to see this movie. I know a movie so accurate to the gospels would cause a problem with a fallen world knee deep in sin and loving it. I love the controversy both pro and con, at lest Christ and the gospel is mentioned.

I am The Way, The Truth and The Life no one comes to the Father ,but by ME. John 14:6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast