Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: Win 98 problems

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Win 98 problems

I've been asked to upgrade a friends machine, and i reformated the whole thing in the proccess. After finishing the upgrade, installing win 98, putting on office 2000, and finding the updates for windows i rebooted the machine. It started up normally then the screen goes blue and it checks for the system registry. It say i have a good system registry and there was a problem but it replaced the corrupt system file with a good one and then it tells me to reboot. So i do. It boots up and does the same thing again, so i reboot again after it says so, it does it again. The same thing over and over.

So the only thing i could come up with was bad dos files, so i put the boot disk in and got into the A prompt and typed sys c:
    it transfered the files over.. but it didn't work. I can't think of anything else to do. Any ideas??
    Thanks
    jack~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Win 98 problems

Quote Originally Posted by jackel
    I can't think of anything else to do. Any ideas??
    Thanks
    jack~
    Install WindowsXP Pro.

Seriously.... The only reason I can think of not to do this, is if the computer is too old and slow...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a 400mhz celeron with 128 mb, not exactly windows XP material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Windows 98 does not start normally, try to start it in Safe mode. Starting Windows 98 in Safe mode bypasses the current real-mode configuration and loads a minimal protected-mode configuration, disabling Windows 98 device drivers and using the standard VGA display adapter. To start Windows 98 in Safe mode, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu appears, and then choose Safe Mode. If you can start in Safe mode, see the steps in the "Windows 98 Starts in Safe Mode" section of this article.
    I may be old but I can still pull the trigger. Because I can't run. That makes me dangerous. :icon_lol:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been asked to upgrade a friends machine, and i reformated the whole thing in the proccess. After finishing the upgrade, installing win 98, putting on office 2000, and finding the updates for windows i rebooted the machine. It started up normally then the screen goes blue and it checks for the system registry. It say i have a good system registry and there was a problem but it replaced the corrupt system file with a good one and then it tells me to reboot. So i do. It boots up and does the same thing again, so i reboot again after it says so, it does it again. The same thing over and over.

So the only thing i could come up with was bad dos files, so i put the boot disk in and got into the A prompt and typed sys c:
    it transfered the files over.. but it didn't work. I can't think of anything else to do. Any ideas??
    Thanks
    jack~
    what was the last thing you did?

what win98 is it?

FE
    SE
    ME?

must be SE or ME if your still getting winupdates i guess.
    From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its windows 98 second edition, the last thing i did was getting updates and it said i had to reboot, so i did. And then this problem came up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its windows 98 second edition, the last thing i did was getting updates and it said i had to reboot, so i did. And then this problem came up.
    if u had WinME you could use system restore......
    From Adam Webb