User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RvS Tactics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RvS Tactics

Raven Shield is a fast-paced, aggressive game. Quick reactions are needed but so are sound player tactics. What are your tips that you are using now or getting used to? Mine are.

- If on my own, Keep moving and fast, stopping occaisionally to listen.

- Throw a frag if you know someone is there. Follow the frag through just after it explodes and shoot them in their butt-ugly face whilst they are reaching for their frag. If you have a cmag start shooting just before you go around the corner.

- Smoke makes a good diversion tactic (ty for that one brooklyn).

- Move sideways when close in combat with an opponent.

- don't reload, go for your pistol if you're both dancing together.

- Cover your team mate as he moves. If he's moving up to a corner, make sure you are covering the corner. Your team-mate should also move tactically by keeping left, crouching, etc, so you can provide effective cover.

- Frag: They don't explode quick enough for me but it is pretty funny when 3 of you are trying to run from one and getting in each others way. Get those frags out quick when your in those choke hold areas.

- Patience: Stuck at a deadly choke point? If they won't come to you why the hell should you go to them. Get your deck of cards out and play the waiting game. The looser is usually the one who moves first.

- Clays and breaching charges: Really satisfying to get someone with these but very rare to get a kill. Another use is to stall players. Put one in front of a door and players won't be so quick to move through it. Also you'll know where they are if they destroy it (no clicker in hand). Also useful for leading opponents into.
    Alternatively find a bulletproog glass door. You on one side, charge on the other. Tango comes around the corner and starts shooting you. Ha ha you laugh at him - BP glass. Laugh some more, show him yer clicker and then let him have it.

- Withdraw: Probably the most important tactic imo. If you come around a corner and someone is shooting at you, don't try and battle it out. You are playing on his terms. He has position, cover and knows where you are. Do you try and lean around the corner to get a shot or do you back off and set up your own position. Let him come to you. Now you're set up, in cover and have the upper hand.
    Knowing when to withdraw is a tough one. I'm still teaching myself. It's easy to forget and try and go for the kill but I find I usually fair badly in this scenario.

- Check 6, check everywhere: I see people run around and they don't check those corners enough or their 6. Make that effort to check in those corners for every corner. At somepoint you'll see someone sitting there waiting for you.

- There's one around every corner: Another important one. Take the attitude that around every corner there is a tango. You'll notice you die more on the corners that you don't rather than the ones you do.
    Last edited by jex; 03-01-2004 at 10:27 AM.
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: RvS Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by jex
    - Patience: Stuck at a deadly choke point? If they won't come to you why the hell should you go to them. Get your deck of cards out and play the waiting game. The looser is usually the one who moves first.

- Withdraw: Probably the most important tactic imo. If you come around a corner and someone is shooting at you, don't try and battle it out. You are playing on his terms. He has position, cover and knows where you are. Do you try and lean around the corner to get a shot or do you back off and set up your own position. Let him come to you. Now you're set up, in cover and have the upper hand.
    Knowing when to withdraw is a tough one. I'm still teaching myself. It's easy to forget and try and go for the kill but I find I usually fair badly in this scenario.

- Check 6, check everywhere: I see people run around and they don't check those corners enough or their 6. Make that effort to check in those corners for every corner. At somepoint you'll see someone sitting there waiting for you.

- There's one around every corner: Another important one. Take the attitude that around every corner there is a tango. You'll notice you die more on the corners that you don't rather than the ones you do.
    Those are the 4 most important elements in this game. If you utilize a combination of those you will suceed in at least staying alive.

To add to the list with my own tactics,

- Doors
    Doors are a very important element in this game. Some people say close them behind you, some people say leave them open. It is a matter of the tactical situation you are in. I personally try to pop open every door in a TvT scenario where I am moving quickly through areas. It gives me quick escape routes and confuses the enemy when they come into the area because they cannot tell where you have gone or where you might be. Sometimes opening all the doors and closing the doors of the path you have taken can confuse the enemy or lure them into a place you want them to be (see the claymore/remote charge tactic above). On the door topic, tactical stacking should be used. I see us always stacking on opposite sides of the door when we should all be on the hinge side of a door that opens in and the knob side of a door that opens out. I am as guilty as everyone else of this one and it never fails that someone gets TK'd on a door breach.

-NEVER STOP MOVING
    I almost always find myself dead in a stationary position while my opponets are moving. I'm not saying don't perform the occasional tactical pause for sound and heartbeat checks but that should be as short as possible. Motion is your ally, sitting still is your enemy.
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doors! I absolutely get annoyed when we stack up on opposite sides of a door. After playing SWAT 3 and looking at the videos, I've always tried to stack up the correct way.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we should make a Door SOP?
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should and include screenshots of what to do. Although, I hate those times you practice the procedure then come up to a door at the end of a catwalk wide enough for one person and it opens towards you.
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah.. that is an odd scenario. Of course, as with anything, personal judgement comes into play. If you are following the Squad Movement SOP, you should have at least 2 guns on the door anyway. #1 is always crouched and #2 is always standing behind. Maybe we can get together this afternoon and take care of the screenshots at least?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll have to schedule a time with a few others. It'll be easier to get screenshots with a camera guy and a few actors.
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I smell another RvS movie coming on... TG's first RvS instructional video!! Look out Lynda.com...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by L0GiCaL1
    I smell another RvS movie coming on... TG's first RvS instructional video!! Look out Lynda.com...
    heck yeah!

The last one was fun... oh..

I was unable to download the old movie the other day... file gone?

FireMarshal

I will look into it as soon as I can get some time... If anything I will re-upload it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah lets do a training vid, why not? When Athena sword comes out we'll have more players. If we can get more coop missions to that'd be cool. With the changes going on at the moment a training vid would be excellent to stir up more interest. This is Tactical Gamer, let's show everyone how the tactics of CQB should be done properly
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: RvS Tactics

Great idea about the movie , also the tactical aspect of RvS is something that would help me a lot Looking forward to coop training And lets do some Bunkers sniper training to grat for TvT . Remember Rogue Spear TvT sniping only on the "ZONE" ok see you guys later ..

P.S. how do you do that quote thing? when you post .. Later

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

type quote and /quote in square brackets []
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn
    P.S. how do you do that quote thing? when you post .. Later
    Pressing 'Reply' just under the person's post will quote the entire post.

Anybody want to handle the recording and editing of the training vid?
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this mean I have to reinstall Premiere 6.0? I can record and edit if you like but it would be nowhere near the quality of the last one Sarc. My video card is not as beefy as everyone else here (due to poor overclocking on my part of my FX 5950). If you want to wait about 2 months I'll actually have a video card that can do it some justice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast