Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tweaks for Raven Shield

Tweaks for Raven Shield

Post subject: Raven Shield Retail 1.xx Version Advanced Tweak Guide

The following tweaks involve editing the User.ini in x:\Program Files\Red Storm Entertainment\RavenShield\Save\Profiles directory, RavenShield.ini in x:\Program Files\Red Storm Entertainment\RavenShield\system directory and just as important, sound tweak for the low end sound card at DARE.ini in the system directory also.

Before we make any changes, make sure you've gone through the in-game settings first and made all the necessary changes there. Then make a backup of the above files and rename to something like User.Real.ini, RavenShield.Real.ini and DARE.Real.ini.

Note that settings that are provided in-game are not provided below. These are ".ini file only" tweaks. Use Notepad to edit these files.

User.ini

[DefaultPlayer]

Name=

This setting holds your online character's name. Whether you use the in-game settings or enter a name here, you're limited to 16 characters maximum being displayed on a server. The only point of entering/changing it here rather than in-game is that you can paste in special characters here if you so like.

[R6Engine.R6PlayerController]

m_iFluidMovementSpeed=900

You can fine tune your fluid movement speed here to suit your peeking style. The lower the #, the faster your fluid movement is.

[Engine.PlayerInput]

MouseSamplingTime=0.010749

This setting effects how fast/slowly your mouse moves by taking samples at more/less frequent intervals (in seconds). As this number increases from the default the slower your mouse will seem as samples of your mouse movement are taken less often. Experiment with this setting if the default sampling time doesn't seem to help your mouse speed.

[Engine.R6GameOptions]

ShowRefreshRates=False

By default, Unreal Engine selects the lowest refresh rate (60 Hz). That's where the 60fps limit comes from. Edit to True to enable the refresh rate selection. Next time you'll enter the Graphics Options, you'll see the different refresh rates supported by your video card beside the resolution.

RavenShield.ini

This is the heart of the game engine and changes here can improve performance and/or visual quality beyond the options available on the in-game settings screens. At the same time, a wrong entry or typo here can give you a lot of grief, so make sure you backup the file first.

Look for the [section] and the entries below (default settings provided) and make the appropriate changes based on your system capabilities:

[Engine.GameEngine]

CacheSizeMegs=32

Increasing the cache size can improve overall performance, especially if you have high texture detail settings and 64MB of Video RAM or more. Try higher values such as 128 if you have a higher spec system.

UseSound=True

If you're desperate to improve your framerate, and you don't mind going without any sound whatsoever, change this setting to =False and you might help your struggling system improve. Of course it's not recommended for all but the most ancient machines.

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]

TextureMaxLOD=12

Lower the value for better performance as the cost of texture quality. Try set to 9 for lower ends card. Ati RADEON? 9700 user can set to 16 where as 9700 support up to 16 blending textures stages.

Brightness=0.500000
    Contrast=0.500000
    Gamma=1.000000

Although they can all be adjusted in-game (and should be), you can fine tune these setting here.

MinDesiredFrameRate=10.000000

This setting tells RVS how to adjust graphics quality while you play to maintain a desired frame rate. The default is a reasonable 35 frames per second (fps), however, if you want the graphics quality to improve, lower this setting (to 20 for example) so that only when your system is seriously struggling will RVS cull objects and reduce image quality to assist. That way you can experience RVS in its full graphical glory. Alternatively, you can turn this setting up (to 40 for example) to help slower systems play at a reasonable framerate.

[Engine.Player]

ConfiguredInternetSpeed=20000

This is a vital setting. It determines your network rate in bytes per second. Tweaking this setting can improve lag problems. For 56K modems, depending on your connection speed, try values between 3000 (3kb per second) and 5000. As a rule of thumb, try and match your average download speed (in kb/s). For faster connections try higher values but remember that depending on the ping of the server you join, where it�s located, who else is playing and how many others, you may still experience some lag regardless, particularly at the start of each round. Also remember that servers have a cap on this rate, so even if you set it very high it may still be limited by the maximum bandwidth the server is set to allocate to each player.

For 56K modemers, a setting around 2800 is best. For Cable/ADSL, 10000 is best, and for T1/LAN play, the default 20000 will be just fine.

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]

UsePrecaching=True

This preloads graphics textures into memory before you actually see them to reduce in-game jerkiness when textures load "on the fly". If you have a newer video card with more video memory (64MB or more) then set this to True for smoother gameplay. Otherwise set to False for older video cards.

ReduceMouseLag=False

If you have issues with your mouse "lagging" on screen, then setting this option to True will help resolve them. Unfortunately it will also reduce your fps to some extent, so if you have no mouse lag problems set it to False for a slight increase in performance.

UseHardwareTL=True

If your graphics card has onboard Transform and Lighting (T&L) set this to True. Most recent graphics cards do feature T&L, so unless you have an older card don't set this to False for best graphics performance.

UseHardwareVS=True

Similar to T&L above, this option makes use of the hardware Vertex Shader on modern graphics cards. The most recent graphics cards feature VS, such as the GeForce3 and GeForce4 Ti cards (but not the GeForce4MX). If you have an older card set this to False, otherwise leave at True for best graphics performance.

UseCubemaps=True

This is a trick used to make some reflective surfaces (like the water puddles in DM-Antalus for example) look like they�re actually reflecting what�s around them in 3D. Turning it off (set to False) can improve graphics performance without any noticeable drop in image quality. If you have a faster system, set it to True for best visual quality at the cost of minimal fps.

UseCompressedLightmaps=True

Using compressed lightmaps can improve your graphics performance quite noticeably, however the colors and shadows in the game (based on these "lightmaps") will not be quite as nice or crisp. If you have a fast system with 128MB of VRAM or more, set this option to False for best image quality and slightly quicker loading times, but at the cost of a few fps.

UseVSync=True

VSync is the synchronization of your graphics card and monitors' abilities to redraw the screen a number of times each second. When set to False, your fps will improve slightly, however, you may see some image "tearing", in which case switch to True if you don't like the results.

Most of the other important performance-related settings are quite rightly able to be changed within the game using the built in settings menus, and aren't detailed here.

DARE.ini

[Renderer DS3D Options]

DS3D_CACHE_SIZE=2097152

Just as video, increasing the cache size can improve overall performance. Try higher values such as 6291456 (6MB)

[Sound Manager Options]

NB_AUDIBLE_VOICES=20

Try reducing to 16 if u got a lower end sound card.

[Renderer options]

Output frequency=44100

Same goes to frequency. Lower the attributes will help low end sound cards. Try 11025 (11.025 kHz) or 8000 (8.000 kHz).

Conclusion

.INI files tweaks are never any major performance gain, but its for sure will help the lower specs pc user.
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Tweaks for Raven Shield

[R6Engine.R6PlayerController]

m_iFluidMovementSpeed=900

You can fine tune your fluid movement speed here to suit your peeking style. The lower the #, the faster your fluid movement is.
    So would this work on MP? Would PB block these changes? If we can lean quicker it may give an advantage but would it be cheating?
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is ok for MP. It's just the player's preference for leaning. Kind of like the sensitivity of your mouse.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jex you overloaded my small brain with all that tech stuff AAAhhhhhhh!!!!!

Explain later on comms PLZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah will do Brooklyn.
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn
    ...overloaded my small brain with all that tech stuff AAAhhhhhhh!!!!!

You say this like it's a surprise or a shock For you it never takes much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Re: Tweaks for Raven Shield

Wow,
    Nice work Jex.. I searched the google.it for raven shield forum and i find this.. very cool!

i am a new member to here .. from italy, and i love to play raven shield and also mod it muahaha .. good to meet all and sorry for english! lol but i program with EA so i know quite well inglesh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to play some Raven Shield, let us know. We don't play often and we don't even have a server anymore. So, let us know and we can get together for some games.
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic!
    I would really like!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone have any suggestions on what settings to use for raven shield with sli system with amd fx-55,dual xfx 6800 ultras,1gig corsair pro? Raven shield will either freeze up on title screen or it will crash and reboot system when I exit the game.I have tryed different drivers (currently using 67.66 graphics drivers and 6.39 chipset drivers) I have gotten all of my games working except for raven shield has anyone else experienced this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow nobody reads these forums do they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I guess nobody noticed this thread. Considering you had replied to an old thread some of us probably disregarded it instead realizing it was about a problem.

You should also try a forum with an active RvS tech support. We can try to help here but as you can see the only active threads from this year is this one (which you dug up) and one other (one month old).

Can you elaborate on the crashing? Is it always a restart when it crashes? I assume you're using WinXP. Did you turn off the automatic restarts? Turning it off will give you a blue error screen instead of restarting. This may indicate where the problem lies.

Regarding the freeze on title screen, is it a freeze where you have to press the restart button on the PC?

Has this game ever worked on your PC? What do you have installed with Raven Shield? Just the original? Expansion? Updated (expansion too if installed)? Mods? Maps? Are you sure this is a video problem (judging from the attempt at different driver versions)?
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a new pc from cyberpower.windows xp pro os.I have disabled restart on error and this is the error i got -assertion failed:removed!=0[file:.\unobj.cpp][line:3473] history unobject:;unhash object<- purge garbage something like that and stop:0x0000000a(0x9d886240,ect. physical memory dump
    error signature BC code:1000000a BCPI:9D886240.
    I have played this game on my 4 yr old hp pc without ever having a problem.on this new pc none of my games would play at first (splinter cell 1 & 2,far cry,joint ops,unreal tournament 2004 ect.)
    most had green bands on the screen then i disable sli and they all worked (except raven shield and athena sword) but only getting 60 fps. if i wait 10 mins for raven shield /athena sword to load title screen it works but it's really dark, fps running 74 max then when i close the game out i get the error i described above raven shield and athena sword are running the newest patches. These 2 are my favorite games and if I can't get them to work I am taking a dose of fukitol and this so called super gaming rig is going back to cyberpower. I have looked on forums everywhere and SLI owners are very rare so no one has experienced this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no knowledge of SLI but I do know that the game played must be written into the driver for SLI to work. Contact the card manufacturer perhaps and ask them what is up, they may be able to help. Of course make sure all your drivers are up to date.
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have talked to ubi tech support on the phone the tech said the nvidia 6 series gpus are not supported and they will never work for raven sheild or athena sword but he doesn't know what he's talking about because my friend dave plays these games on a single 6800 gt without problems.and sli doent work for any of my games unless i disable the sli so does the sli systems need a different gpu drivers than the ones for single cards.boy i just jumped in head first with this new sli technology and so far it's only browsed the net for trouble shooting purposes.I am counting the things i could have bought with that money. hopefully people can learn from my mistakes and don't buy into these pc mags that brag on this sli technology my 4 year old hp with a 2 gig celeron,fx5200 gpu blows my sli system away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast