Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a weird one

After posting about the patriot act I was thinking about what it is to be a free man. Then I started thinking that surely everyone wants to be a free(wo)man. But that's not quite true. Some people like law and order - they like to be told what to do. But if that is the case it goes against everything that freedom stands for doesn't it?

So now I'm thinking that people who want more law and order therefore by definition, do not want freedom.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Please try and remain on topic on this one.

Thanks
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Here's a weird one

Quote Originally Posted by jex
    After posting about the patriot act I was thinking about what it is to be a free man. Then I started thinking that surely everyone wants to be a free(wo)man. But that's not quite true. Some people like law and order - they like to be told what to do. But if that is the case it goes against everything that freedom stands for doesn't it?

So now I'm thinking that people who want more law and order therefore by definition, do not want freedom.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Please try and remain on topic on this one.

Thanks
    Well, I'm something of a libertarian... My ideal world would actually be anarchy (which is not the same as chaos, just a lack of government). The problem is, anarchy can't exist. At all. As soon as there is a power vacuum, someone will step into it. If every single government in the world disappeared right now, along with every army and weapon, gangs of people would still form up to take advantage of the situation. The strong people would rule in small ways over the weak people. It's human nature to crave power.

So, since anarchy can't exist, I must settle for a government with as much freedom as possible. My ideal world simply isn't practical. In this practical world, laws are needed because bad people are out there. Careless people are out there. Thoughtless people are out there. Selfish people are out there. Laws exist to provide protection from these people. Without a government to provide laws, every person would be living their lives according to their own personal laws (morals). This could result in a person that believes that trampling his flower garden should be punished by death, while another person believes that deflowering 6 year old girls is the highest honor he can bestow upon her.

The problem, of course, is that everyone has their own personal idea of just where we should "draw the line" with regards to laws and freedom. I love the way the United States Constitution has addressed this issue with its' timeless applicability and representative government. Could it be better? Sure, just let me make all the laws.