Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: vsync and you..

tycho

vsync and you..

How does one go about turning off vsync with ns now? I have it turned off on all my Ati settings and have my fps_max set to 100 in game. This used to work like a champ, but now under steam Im being pegged at 60fps.

Can anyone help me figure out how to turn off vsync with steam now?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: vsync and you..

Well, vsync is an OS setting, not a game or Steam setting. I have NVidia. If no one with ATI can help you out, find me and we'll figure it out tonight.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tycho
    How does one go about turning off vsync with ns now? I have it turned off on all my Ati settings and have my fps_max set to 100 in game. This used to work like a champ, but now under steam Im being pegged at 60fps.

Can anyone help me figure out how to turn off vsync with steam now?
    For whatever it's worth, I've always been pegged at 60fps since we went to Steam as well. I have a GeForce2 MX400. In NS 2.x, I floated around 90fps with little tweaking.

It's not affecting my experience, but it is curious.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a Steam bug in the ATI drivers about that. It has been recently fixed, so make sure you have updated your drivers.

tycho

Im running the 3.5 catalyst drivers as ive had the best results with them. What I dont get is how I wasnt locked down by vsync before we went to steam. I was floating around 90-100 fps right before we changed to steam and now im back to being pegged at 60fps.

I would prefer not to change my cat's as im very happy with the current set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's really vsync related, you can change your refresh rate to more that 60. On most newer monitors/video cards you can go way beyond 60Hz. It takes a bit of trickery to make it happen on Nt based OSes (xp, incl). I don't remember the program I use to make it happen, but I'm very happy with it. We had a thread about it.
    --
    CaveDog
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

tycho

My monitor wont handle above 60Hz. Its a crappy old monitor, and when i go above 60Hz I either get a headache after about 5 minutes or my monitor just gives me the 'signal out of range' crap.

Like I said, I didnt change any settings and after steam im pegged at 60 while before I wasnt. I re-checked all my ATi advanced settings to make sure vsync was off for both openGL and D3D which they were.

If you can get ahold of that app or a link to it let me know please Cave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am an ATI user.

Heres how you go about disabling it.
    On desktop, left click, go to
    Properties>settings>advanced>openGL>Wait for Vertical sync, move all the way left.
    This is with the most recent drivers and a Radeon 9800 Pro.

How to get over 100fps you say?

In The Game Itself:
    developer 1
    cl_showfps 1
    fps_max 999999
    fps_modem 999999

And voila!

Emanon

Ok the thing is:

1: It doesnt matter that you could go 90-100 before, cuase you will never see it anyhow.
    2: Steam and HL are 2 different animals, and like tempus said there was a bug.
    3: I would never suggest turning Vsync off cause it will cause tearing and such.
    4: Also WindowsXP is also limited to 60FPS unless you unlock it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emanon
    Ok the thing is:

1: It doesnt matter that you could go 90-100 before, cuase you will never see it anyhow.
    2: Steam and HL are 2 different animals, and like tempus said there was a bug.
    3: I would never suggest turning Vsync off cause it will cause tearing and such.
    4: Also WindowsXP is also limited to 60FPS unless you unlock it.
    i know.. its fun to see 300+ fps tho

btw.. how u unlock 60fps in winxp? I've looked all over and cant find how :\

Emanon

www.guru3d.com Has all your graphic needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vsync is your friend. No Point going over 60. Things look more purty with vsync on anyway me thinks. Yahhrrrr.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polska
    Vsync is your friend. No Point going over 60. Things look more purty with vsync on anyway me thinks. Yahhrrrr.
    yah i know. but in cs, the higher the fps, the lower your recoil.. dont belive me? try it
    (im back to NS and CS now tho)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tycho
    My monitor wont handle above 60Hz. Its a crappy old monitor, and when i go above 60Hz I either get a headache after about 5 minutes or my monitor just gives me the 'signal out of range' crap.

Like I said, I didnt change any settings and after steam im pegged at 60 while before I wasnt. I re-checked all my ATi advanced settings to make sure vsync was off for both openGL and D3D which they were.

If you can get ahold of that app or a link to it let me know please Cave.

The program I have is called "RefreshLock". Its the first link in google.

Nice thing about this program is that you can tell it to use the highest possible (according to the pnp info) or you can specify the setting. If you actually have a well functioning monitor, the max setting works well. I get 100Hz.

That way, vsync isn't a problem.

I've never seen any problems with having vsync off, btw. Or I'll say that if I did see tearing, it wasn't enough to make me upset, and I'm pretty hard to please with things like that.

hth
    --
    CaveDog
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."