Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Securing network/router

Are there any good sites out there on what needs to be done with securing a wireless network? The information that came with my new router didn't talk much about security and I read that wireless networks have the potential of being more unsecured compared to a network relying on old fashing cables

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Securing network/router

You should be able to adjust the encryption of the wireless netork from the router access page.

192.168.1.1 by default.

Depending on what kind you have, you should be able to lock it down pretty well.

And unless you have a lot of people in close proximity to your home, I'm not sure how much effort you would want to put into it. If you're in an apartment, work it out, if you're in a house by itself, I'm not sure the distance would be enough to be worried about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are two main ways to secure your network:
    1. To keep people off your PC's and network you can use just MAC address filtering. This entails entering the MAC addresses of all the Wireless cards on your network into your wireless access point (WAP). This wont stop someone from "sniffing" your packets for confidential information, but if all you do is game/browse, it's not really an issue.

2. WEP or Pre-shared key. I've only worked with WEP. WEP (Wired Equivalent Protection) can get up to 128-bit encryption. The only problem is: it doesn't work. The code can be cracked although it takes a good amount of work, so don't expect some kid running his programs off his mom's PC to be able to take it down. This actually encrypts the packets themselves so someone can't walk by with a laptop and "steal" packets.

The support site for you router brand should have step-by-step instructions for WEP and MAC address filtering. Pre-shared key settings are supposed to be the best way to go, but my NIC doesn't support it (while my G router does). Oh well, they can see how badly I'm getting owned at NS all they want by sniffing my packets, but with my MAC filtering they won't be stealing my bandwidth.

Funny sidenote: I can pickup another wireless network from my room. It seems a network with the SSID "Jeff" would be easy for me to break into, but there's gaming to be done and I really don't feel like doing anything illegal.

For your everyday uses: MAC Address filtering will keep people off your network and is easy to use. If you need any help setting it up, post your router brand and model. You can PM me if you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could always wrap the router up in tin foil. It cheap, effective and shiny! Remember to do the same with your head because those high powered satellites can really read your brain.

Honestly, I doubt anybody would want to break into your network. All they'll find is your erotic stash of Jenna or Jordan. That stuff should be shared so it's no big deal. It's good precaution but don't go all out unless you've got data that related to your job or something important like that.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Useless tid-bit of information: Chain-link (like the fence) completely blocks the low-powered wireless signals for these kinds of networks. So, all that's really needed is a chainlink fence about 30 feet tall and you're all set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NSA used to do a 'Securing a Bastion Host' guide for normal routers, I'd assume they have a wireless guide now, I'll see what I can find if you are still interested?