Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Border invaders?

I was wondering what this community thinks about the United States immigration problem?

http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Mar/03112004/utah/146662.asp

At this time, not only do we have problems with traditional immigration problems, but now we have to worry about illegal aliens being held hostage or as slaves until they can pay their smugglers and we have to worry about the potential national security risks associated with such a porous border.

If millions of Mexicans can cross our southern border without getting caught, how hard would it be for one little arab with a "dirty bomb" or even a real nuclear "suitcase" bomb? The Border Patrol can't keep stop all the drugs from being smuggled north, how are they going to stop a nuke?

And would an amnesty be the solution to this? Obviously it wouldn't close any holes in the current state of border security, but would it keep 200 illegal aliens from being stuffed into a single house and kept against their will until someone brings money to their smuggler?

Should we reward those aliens that are already here illegally, just to stop these smugglers? Or is DHS' crackdown going to be enough?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Border invaders?

In the UK illegal immigrants into our country are all over the headlines. Whether the problem really is that bad or it is being used for political manouvering I don't know but we do have a pretty lax policywhen it comes to it.

I don't see how you would stop a terrorist getting a bomb intoany country. Spain's recent bombing could have been a nuke, any bomb could. I think we just have to accept the times we live in and hope that the future will bring about a more peaceful outcome. What else can you do?

With regards to immigrants, they produce a cheap workforce that allow companies to gain greater profit margins. They may pass on the 'benefits' to the consumer or not. Whether or not it is right to exploit these people depends on your POV but would you work for their conditions and pay?
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jex
    Whether or not it is right to exploit these people depends on your POV but would you work for their conditions and pay?
    I would not. In the past, these jobs were taken by students and entry-level workers while they were planning their future. The problem is that since employers are already breaking the law by hiring them, they don't see it as a problem if they also ignore minimum wage laws, safety regulations and overtime regulations. In some cases it's outright slavery. Granted, using a workforce like this passes some of the cost reduction on to consumers, but surely not 100% of the savings. I think it would be to most people's benefit if we could put a stop to illegal immigration.

BTW, anyone know who I am?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're President Bush!! Secretly walking amongst the populace like kings of old used to do to see what they thought of them. Can you get me Arnie's signature?
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well DUH! Isn't it obvious? You're IceCold. Says so right there.....
    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jex
    You're President Bush!! Secretly walking amongst the populace like kings of old used to do to see what they thought of them. Can you get me Arnie's signature?
    You're close. Someday I just might be President... And no, I can't get you Ahnold's autograph...