User Tag List

Thread: Stolen Goods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stolen Goods

http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories...lofshame.shtml

I saw this news article from a thread over in the Rage3D forums. It seems EB illegally sold some merchandise that they had acquired. I've never liked EB that much and rarely shop there. This is was just a bad PR move for them. I'm not sure on the legal requirements of EB but they did break state law and that's what bothers me the most.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Stolen Goods

It's kind of bad when a store geared toward young kids has lower ethical standards than most pawn shops. This story is a good month and a half old, I wonder what came of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats just plain WRONG It's not like they can't afford to atleast give her the money to buy a new PS2 and memory card

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Q
    Thats just plain WRONG It's not like they can't afford to atleast give her the money to buy a new PS2 and memory card
    Why should they pay for someone else's crime?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =Sarc=
    http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories...lofshame.shtml

I saw this news article from a thread over in the Rage3D forums. It seems EB illegally sold some merchandise that they had acquired. I've never liked EB that much and rarely shop there. This is was just a bad PR move for them. I'm not sure on the legal requirements of EB but they did break state law and that's what bothers me the most.
    While they sold it quicker than they should have, I don't think people should fault them for selling stuff they didn't realize at first it was stolen. As for the part about it being sold back to the victim for twice the amount it was bought, EB did say they were waiting to see if her claims that the goods were stolen from her was true. If someone walked into a store that I owned and said that the things I have on my shelf were stolen from her, I would not turn them over to her right away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    cause the "customer's always right" ?

If they haden't broken the law, the lady would get her merchandice back, so that adds to their liability. In retail, anytime there is any hint of liability on your part, you make it right with the customer. (or should)

If they didn't open that door of liability, then sure, let her go through the legal system for retrobution. It sucks, but that is life.
    --
    CaveDog
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While they sold it quicker than they should have, I don't think people should fault them for selling stuff they didn't realize at first it was stolen. As for the part about it being sold back to the victim for twice the amount it was bought, EB did say they were waiting to see if her claims that the goods were stolen from her was true. If someone walked into a store that I owned and said that the things I have on my shelf were stolen from her, I would not turn them over to her right away.

Agreed. Surely there is a bit more to the story.
    --
    CaveDog
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not that EB isn't just giving her stuff back, it's just that they are allowed to get away with almost no regulation on buying back electronics.

Even though they aren't at fault, what they are doing is bad business. They give the attitude that they really don't care about their customers as long as they get paid.

Contrast this with my experience with Dodge and United Auto-care. UAC voided my warranty when I got my lift installed on my truck even though the contract says nothing about it, and even the Dodge rep who sold me the truck and warranty told me it would make no difference.

Since I'm over my standard Dodge warranty, it's in no way their problem. After a 15 minute phone call with Dodge headquarters they cut me a check for $1,800 to cover the work, citing that my family was "a good Dodge customer."

That's good business.

Granted, she should feel lucky they even found her stuff. Most of the times, the cops wont even file a report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EB certainly didn't handle the situation properly. First, the store should not have put the goods for sale until after 15 calendar days, according to state law. Second, it's logical to disbelieve the woman for claiming some of their used merchandise is rightfully hers but they seemingly mistreated her claim. Instead of asking for evidence that the goods did belong to her and that the store had bought stolen goods, they decided to say, "It's our stuff, not yours. You can buy it back if you want it." The employees there aren't too bright to have thought of that. I guess they think it's a better decision to try and make some money instead of helping a victim retrieve her stolen items. In the end, they broke state law and gave themselves bad PR.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because they didnt follow the clear proceedure marked down by state law making them the criminal. it may be less than the original crime and yes that guy should also have some kind of pasyment to society. but regulations are inplace for a reason. follow them or as cavedog says you open yourself up to the liability.

to your second point... the report was very vaque and gave a very onesided point of view... i dont like this kind of reporting at all.

and it seems fair on ebs part to wait until her claim was validated... you dont get the merchandise back when the law is still deciding if its yours.