Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Impressions

In today's Penny Arcade Article I find they pretty much sum up my first impressions. BFV to me is a well done mod. Yes, the graphics appear to be better with a few new gameplay options, but it's nothing strikingly new. I'll probably be balancing my play time between DC and BFV still.
    |TG-12th| asch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: First Impressions

Well, in my admittedly limited gameplay, I felt like I was a beta-tester all over again. Among other things, the graphic performance was absolute crap, and I don't see why.. The graphics looked no better than the original.

It actually felt more like Unreal Tournament than BF1942 for some reason. I don't know quite why... The movements, the graphics, the sounds. I can't put my finger on it.

I will give it more time, but I am not at all 'wowed' like I was with 1942 and more notably with DC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus
    Well, in my admittedly limited gameplay, I felt like I was a beta-tester all over again. Among other things, the graphic performance was absolute crap, and I don't see why.. The graphics looked no better than the original.

It actually felt more like Unreal Tournament than BF1942 for some reason. I don't know quite why... The movements, the graphics, the sounds. I can't put my finger on it.

I will give it more time, but I am not at all 'wowed' like I was with 1942 and more notably with DC.
    I wonder how long it will take for them to issue a patch that makes you say "wow"? Not having the game, I can only go by second-hand reports. Right or wrong, many games aren't released "great" the first time. They get better over patches. I'd still hold out that it can be a great game.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a forum thread at PBF that I agree with pertaining to maps and objectives.

Basically it says the maps are boring... in that the flags are all similar to each other. Maps in 1942 offered more uniqueness and varying battles within a map. With BFV, you don't see that as much.
    |TG-12th| asch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Re: First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by asch
    Here's a forum thread at PBF that I agree with pertaining to maps and objectives.

Basically it says the maps are boring... in that the flags are all similar to each other. Maps in 1942 offered more uniqueness and varying battles within a map. With BFV, you don't see that as much.

well im disappointed i am having some majour graphics issues.

god damn screen goes blackif i look a certaIN WAY....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like this game....but I still wish you guys played forgotten hope

FireMarshal

Hey look there... A real review!!! GJ Total!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Important question for me..

Is it worth it right now to drive all the way to Louisville this weekend just to search for a copy at Best Buy and spend 35 bucks on it or should I wait until the patch comes out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    Important question for me..

Is it worth it right now to drive all the way to Louisville this weekend just to search for a copy at Best Buy and spend 35 bucks on it or should I wait until the patch comes out?

good questio0n but for 35 bucks... it would have been cheaper for me to ship that game over from the us than to buy it in u stores... it cost me 55 bucks after conversion thats about 28 pounds... bloody arse mungers... always make us pay more.

its neat once i got the graphics stuff sorted... apart from that some of the maps just look well small. they seem to have compensated for the undergrowth making it slower but making the maps small.

i would buy it just because the TGers are playing it and well whats 35 bucks in the long run....

tycho

I just wish I could run the damn game with more than 10fps

FireMarshal

As posted in forums at www.tacticalvietnam.com :

Well I finally got home and installed my BF:V that had been waiting on me... After the install I set all my Video and Audio options on the highest settings and cut loose on the server...

(Side note.. I had NO problems on the install... had no errors on load up... no control problems.. everything was right the first time..)

Unfortunately there were only a couple folks still up playen and after that mission it was empty... But that did not stop me... I ran around checking out the maps and the graphics as well as played with the various weapons and vehicles...

First I would like to say that there are some graphic improvements from the Original Battlefield, I am not saying it is a complete makeover but is a noticeable improvement. Granted I do have all my video settings cranked to the highest settings... so that may help. I am running at 1024x768 at 32bit.

Now the vehicle models are a whole other conversation... As I looked at the tanks they are very poorly done with an exception made for the tracks.. they look ok as well as there animation when you turn and all... Wheeled vehicles are a joke... Who the hell modeled the Flinstone wheels?? I mean they actually look like stone wheels... Seriously.. Take some time and make the vehicles look a tad better.. DC vehicles have these beat hands down...

Some of the indicators in the game I do like are the mini-map with the North, South, East, and West marked... Itís not rocket science to figure out on regular Battlefield but is nice for a quick reference at a glance.
    I like the health and ammo bars and all that... no problem.... However I am not to hip on the tank arrow... ya know the arrow that shows your direction and then where the turret is pointing... I like the small tank outline better than a basic arrow... It kind of throws me off some... maybe it is just something to get used too... but so far.. I'm not too keen on it.

The helicopter controls are great!! I think they are superb over Desert Combat. Flying is much more enjoyable and a lot less stressful for lack of a better way of putting it... I picked up stuff... dropped it... picked up Big-B from land and in the water... Not much else to say about the choppers.. A big thumb up there...

I am sure I will put up more here as I play it more but I want to get some good battle time in before anything else...

I'm running on a AMD 64 processor, Radion 9800 Pro, 1G DDR Ram. I'm able to run in 1024x768, 32 bit without a problem.

FireMarshal

Also in a full Pub server with fire and shooting and all that... No problems... ran as smooth as you could want...

tycho

Total :

P3 1Ghz ( I know, I know )
    512 133 SDRAM
    Powercolour 9700 pro ( most excellent card )

Figure that I'm running your Joe Average computer right now as I havent had the spare cash floating around to upgrade yet.

I run DC at 1024x768 32 with no slowdown, I run raven shield at the same reso, and NS at 1152x864 32bit with AA turned on and I'm around 60-99fps there.

I shouldnt have this slowdown in BF:V as I didnt notice a huge difference as FM said. I know my machine is pretty low on the foodchain..but I shouldnt be able to run games that are more graphic intensive ( RvS and DC ) at a higher resolution with better fps.

The game is fun and I enjoy it, but honestly I dont see it as that huge of an improvement over DC.

Though the music alone was worth the purchace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing this game for the past couple of days now and I have to say that my first impressions are very good. I love the graphics particularly the under growth. The weapons are really cool and theres nothing like listening to some CCR while in a Tank or the door gunner of Huey blasting away. The look and feel of being in Vietnam is definatly there. I also like using some of the sniper rifles in this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tycho
    Total :

P3 1Ghz ( I know, I know )
    512 133 SDRAM
    Powercolour 9700 pro ( most excellent card )

Figure that I'm running your Joe Average computer right now as I havent had the spare cash floating around to upgrade yet.

I run DC at 1024x768 32 with no slowdown, I run raven shield at the same reso, and NS at 1152x864 32bit with AA turned on and I'm around 60-99fps there.

I shouldnt have this slowdown in BF:V as I didnt notice a huge difference as FM said. I know my machine is pretty low on the foodchain..but I shouldnt be able to run games that are more graphic intensive ( RvS and DC ) at a higher resolution with better fps.

The game is fun and I enjoy it, but honestly I dont see it as that huge of an improvement over DC.

Though the music alone was worth the purchace
    well to be honest i would put more memory in for a start. i dont know if that will improve the fps though... hmm some times i get a bad fps i just turn the setting down to 800x600 32.

i dont notice much difference to be honest and it runs smooth-er,
    apart from that, i dont know, just check you dont have anything running in task manager sapping power... that will kill fps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast