Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

latest steam update: data=choke

what was wrong with WON anyway? they could not force feed us CSCZ adds all day?
    Last edited by Emanon; 04-05-2004 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Splitting of threads
    4 and 3 and 2 and 1 when im on the mic the suckas run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: latest steam update: data=choke

Quote Originally Posted by MatDL
    what was wrong with WON anyway? they could not force feed us CSCZ adds all day?
    Roger That

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if you guys curse construction workers, or the highway department, as you drive through the orange barrels in bumper to bumper traffic, too.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    I wonder if you guys curse construction workers, or the highway department, as you drive through the orange barrels in bumper to bumper traffic, too.

Wyzcrak
    Sometimes when they do a crappy job with the barrels or redirection. Or if I see that there is no need for the work, just a pork-barrel project.

There are times when some pain is required for a transition to something better, but I haven't yet seen why steam is a huge improvement. I like a few things, but here's a pro tip for software developers: when you give your user a new version of the software, don't remove things that are already there, or there will be trouble.

Steam fixes a few things, but breaks many other things, thus, trouble. Is it all warrented? not really, but it has caused a lot of pain that seems pretty avoidable to a lot of people.
    --
    CaveDog
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't understand why people get so upset about things they can't change. Yelling at the barrels doesn't help.

Here I am, Game Officer for NS, and I can't even play the game. But I just don't see the wisdom in putting the energy into getting upset about it.

Meh. This isn't the first time I've seen this delta between me and most people. I guess I'm just too laid back or something. I scream and bitch in NS, but that's a game. When it comes to getting upset about stuff in real life, I guess I'm just different than most folks.

Damn barrels.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wyzcrak is a freak, but we all knew that :/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Cavedog said, I get mad because there is absolutley no advantage to running Steam.

That is like them doing construction on a perfectly good road, and then leaving the road in worse shape. I get mad at that.

Since we went to Steam, I have had many issues, and ZERO benefit.

Steam sucks. There is no defending it. I got mad for awhile, and then I just stopped using it. I don't get mad anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One good thing about steam:

Custom Skins

Now you can view the CS:CZ Ads while showing off your TG Pride!

Or if you dont like my skin, theres many out there, so you can see the ads in whatever skin you would like.

Yea okay im not happy with steam either, it kinda sucks having bi-weekly updates which cause all servers running CD to screw up.... Maybe something good will come out of it ? =/

maybe...

Yea, a definite maybe, for sure.
    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steam Crap? Won good?

The main question I ask is "why"? Why go from Won to Steam? The answer I see is so Valve can pimp their products easier (which is going to get worse). I honestly dont see anything special with Steam. There are some aspect of it I like, the ability to automatically connect to a full server is a player drops, and the built in browser is half way decent. But there are 3rd party programs that do all that for me, so its not something I couldnt live with out. I also like the fact that they update every other week, it makes me feel like they actually care, granted the updates generally do more harm then good (like the last update, it fixed Steam from crashing, but some players cant play for some reason and and the whole CD issue again).

Steam in general is give or take. Some people like it, most people hate it. I personally just try to live with it.. when it works I throw a party, when it doesnt, it really doesnt bother me anyway because this is the way of the future for Valve.... why I dont know, but they seem to think its a good idea..
    Last edited by Emanon; 04-05-2004 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Steam Crap? Won good?

While yes, it does break stuff, it's not all that bad. Personally, I havn't had much trouble from steam, but i've had my share. I can't be in ventrilo while I'm gaming. It's lags my mouse to the point of unplayability.

If you look though, broadband users get an advantage in downloading. I have gotten speeds up to 1.5MB/S while downloading games for it.

Yes, i've had crashes, shutdowns, B.S.O.D.'s (Blue screen of death) even from it. It is a pain, but once you get it stable, it STAYS stable. I tweaked and tweaked steam in different spots, now i rarly have trouble, besides that ventrilo thingy.

Won also didn't have the good graphics, as the steam engine does =)

My point, YES it is bad, but it is kinda new. Give it a few more months, and HOPEFULLY it will works ok. Lets just hope that

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think valve wanted an all purpose program that would work with all their games. And steam is that. I think they meant good, its just its hard then they imagined. I'm going to laugh when the day everything runs on steam and you are all worshipping valve.. if that day comes..sigh.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And there will be a cure for every disease and pigs will be able to fly.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's possible. I hold all knowledge!!!!
    Make people take bathes
    Put motorized jets and plane wings on a pig. It'll fly!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well there is no point in crying about it. NS isn't going to go back to WON, and if you want WON you might as well set up a 1.x server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    Won also didn't have the good graphics, as the steam engine does =)
    Sorry to butt into the NS forums, but I was under the impression that Steam has nothing to do with the game engine. Steam is nothing more than a method of delivering updates, patches, etc... I know when I last played a HL game, that was the case. Has something changed recently?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast