I'm running:
    Win 2K Pro
    All current updates
    Latest Direct X
    768 Megs RAM
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
    KT7A RAID Motherboard

Thanks
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
    --Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Monitor Dark Running 3D Games

How dark is it? I don't know how helpful I can be, but I'm trying to get a feel for what you're dealing with.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first installed STEAM, it screwed up my gamma settings or something. I wasn't able to adjust gamma or brightness enough to play any game. I uninstalled STEAM, reinstalled it, and now my moniter is fine for any game except HL games... I'm thinking about uninstalling HL altogether, but I still wax nostalgic every now and again and am willing to put up with the dark environments on those rare occasions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey b...... you can take off the cover and manually adjust everything and more that you can on the outside..... sometimes you need the extra tweak to get a few more years out of a monitor...... I can look at it if you are worried about taking it apart.....

of course, you might want to dual boot and see if it is HW or SW...... then again, the 9500 might be an issue......

you can bring it over and we'll plug it up to my computer(s) to see if the issue replicates.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Rage3D Tweak and it has hotkeys to adjust gamma and brightness settings for applications. I've used it before and I think it's application specific so it saves the settings for next time.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =DdogG=
    hey b...... you can take off the cover and manually adjust everything and more that you can on the outside.....
    Just be careful when you do this. A CRT is a hell of a large capacitor.... We're talking about possible death here, folks.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If B dies:

A) I hate DdogG forever.

B) I get B's computer.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about you get a CRT monitor to explode or something and tape it, that would be great. You are welcome to leave the room when this happens of course. Powerstrip is an ok problem. If you have had the monitor for a while, you may want to dust the insides a bit, dust buildup created issues with my monitor (not darkness issues, but hey). If its a hardware issue good luck :P.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same problem with HL games only..When I load NS, I see the screen get brighter(the way its supposed to be) then dims back. I think this is a Steam issue with certain hardware?(IE. ATI 9800 video cards?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the posts... Power strip seemed to do the trick... but only with some games...( I forgot that eternal pimps that app)

I think its time for a new monitor.

Again, thanks for the comments.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
    --Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fix monitors as part of my business...... I have never died yet....... I think its cause I spit on my hands before I touch the capacitors..........

and seriously, there are small adjustments all over most monitor boards for fine tuning...... easily fixing 80% of the monitors that cross my path. a 30 minute fix and a 25 dollar charge...... b...........I got like 10 monitors laying around right now.... want to trade?
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =DdogG=
    I fix monitors as part of my business...... I have never died yet....... I think its cause I spit on my hands before I touch the capacitors..........
    I've tinkered around with moniters as well, and I kinda figured you knew what you were doing. I'd be afraid to tell people to just take off the cover without warning them about the potential dangers... Most CRTs aren't going to kill a healthy person, but they sure can hurt. And with the exception of one time, every single time I've ever been shocked the most painful thing was hitting or cutting my hand or head when I jerked away from the shock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would NEVER recommend anyone take apart a monitor unless they had researched thoroghly the dangers and proper procedures...........

sorry I did not disclaimer it before. thanks cing.......