Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teams

tycho

Teams

Ok, I have had it up to my neck with the unbalanced teams. I know its not really anyones fault but we need to make a concrete rule about unbalanced teams like now. I am sick to death of seeing 5 on 6 games and the new player joining the 6 person team making it 5 on 7 and then having issues with leaving.

I am also getting tired of when the teams are uneven the immediate cries of 'teams!' going unanswered. We need to set something up, be it a rule or plugin, that will curb this issue. Maybe the last man on the list, or the person to join most recently has to switch, something...anything.

I just got out of a game because an alien dropped and no marine wanted to change over. I ended up hopping to the alien team ( i was comm ) and then the marines were all 'gg' and 'well this is over now', so I left feeling disgusted and frustrated. This has been happening alot more often recently and personally I'm getting fed up with it.

We even have self-styled 'professional team-switchers' who answer the call when its cried, which shouldnt have to be the case.

And yes, I know that in small games ( 5 on 5 ) losing a player can cripple a team, be it marine or alien. As a marine, you really cannot afford to lose a man or be a man down in that small a game as you just dont have enough marines in the field. As an alien you lose all that res, or sometimes that fade you have has to switch which can kill your game. Its rediculous and getting old.

Either folks need to realize when they need to switch or we need to set up a rule or something, cause its silly and ruins the games almost 100% of the time.

Ugh.

</rant>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Teams

i agree with tycho

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well tycho, you have two options.
    1) Deal with the imbalance by holding your head high or being the one who switches, or
    2) Exercise some of those admin muscles. Maybe Wyz can craft a plugin to make switching the person with the least time on the server to the smaller team, and make it a one button command (like "bind f11 amx_swaplast")

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Emanon

damn pubs root of all problems.

BTW tycho we admins do have that plug, amx_marine "playername" I use it all the time
    Last edited by Emanon; 04-27-2004 at 07:58 PM.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, here's the rule. It's been unofficial for some time. The person listed last on the scoreboard for the larger team switches to the smaller team. The person listed last on the scoreboard typically (no, not always, but life isn't perfect) has done the least for the larger team so far during the game (and, although I'll remind you that it's irrelevant, has often been playing the least amount of time). Also, as opposed to worrying about who joined last, determining the person listed last on the scoreboard is immediately possible by every player.

Admin muscle is right. You other admins need to take notes. Notice how many complaints we get about me and admin abuse: none. When something needs to be done, DO IT. amx_alien, amx_marine, amx_readyplayer, amx_random... USE THE COMMANDS YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN. People might bitch but, if you pay close attention, you'll find that, OVERALL, everyone is happier when you do this quickly and reliably.

If you're an admin, your greatest measurement of success is often the count of players on the server who don't even realize you just solved a problem. Note the problem, fix it, and game on. If it's 4v7, nothing gets folks' attention faster than switching two people from one team to another without warning. Yeah, maybe that game is hopelessly ruined, but when the same thing happens this Thursday night at 7:34 PM, maybe people will remember tonight and fix it themselves next time.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wyz did you turn team balance off? Since the last update, it seems anybody can go on any team regardless of how many players it has..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second the need for more admin intervention in teams, and I hope this new policy is enforced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marines screams for the odd-man or whatever tend to be dealth with immediately (99% of the time). It's the aliens who really get jacked. Loosing even one res holder can trash your game.

And I can't STAND it when someone says "Aliens don't need odd man/even teams, this game is over." I've come back from one hive and JPs swarming our hive because of some fluke, and it felt damn good. Without even teams: this borders on impossibility.

No matter what, I don't want to hear that BS: Teams should be even no matter if the marines have turret farms with 500 turrets surrounding the last alien hive. Loosing due to being outmatched is great, loosing because your team is full of dumb pubs is frustrating, playing here and loosing because no one wants to switch teams is down-right rage inducing.

This is why I started the "Do I talk to much thread." Some people have discussed that I should "settle down" on the server. TS, I am going to continue to "piss and moan" about this until I get my damn 1 (Heck, even 2 one time) meat body.

BTW: I commed my first "real" game today and actually won. I would chalk it up to a fluke because the aliens just didn't have it together, but I had my own problems With almost half my team running around the map aimlessly. The regs did great (you guys saved that game and you are awsome), I hate pubs. 1234^5 is a dead man if I ever see him again.

Emanon

So goes the the soap we call NS.

tycho

Yeah no kidding right?

Though one of the best things about TG is that we are all reasonable enough to not stay pissy at each other and have some awesome games again tomorrow.

Though every loss ( for either team ) being blamed on imbalances, or this or that gets folks angry...what happened to good old honest hard-won skill and teamwork winning?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only thing imbalenced about our server is the fact that some times, Dean and I end up on the same team. =^.^=

L(^o^)z)z)z =3=3=3
    (^_^;; )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought drama was only part of the clan scene.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psi_RedEye22
    I don't blame imbalances on skill, that's all human error (unless some sort of stupid ass script is run, like that triple-jump bunnyhop garbage). Yes, Nothing is an amazing Fade/Lerk/Skulk/Marine. Who cares. You saw a few games ago, you all did, we worked around him, got the Aliens down to no hives (ns_veil). The only imbalances are sheer numerical factors and pub stupidity, nothing more.
    That was an awesome game, Tycho was an awesome lerk, and pokerface kept the hives under watch, he's my favorte gorge. There was awesome teamwork on the alien side, and awesome team work on the marines.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke
    i thought drama was only part of the clan scene.
    Thats no excuse for being childish though... and you were being childish..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iíve played a couple games recently where I have switched teams up to 4 times in one game, it gets beyond annoying. I would love to introduce some pubs who visit TG to my fist, unfortunately the internet has not implemented that feature yet. Game we just finished now was 5-7 for roughly 9 minutes, I would have said something, but I found it amusing the rines didnít notice they had 2 extra for that long.

I don't know about others, but I look at the scoreboard constantly, I don't see how people don't notice imbalances, Iím starting to get awfully tired of it.

Other thing that's got me down lately is lack of teamwork on aliens. If someone asks for help in a hive, chances are its needed, get there before a phase is up and its too late. Also parasite is an extremely powerful yet underused ability. If everyone on aliens would just parasite 1 marine, you would have nice and easy intel. Maybe my problems with the aliens don't apply to those who frequent TG, but there has been more and more public players around lately.

Anyway, I think i'll need a need to find a new game for a while soon, or ns is gonna drive me crazy .
    Last edited by Polska; 04-28-2004 at 12:46 AM.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast