User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commander FeniX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commander FeniX

I'd like to start using that funky chair that everyone else tends to run away from. I figured when our resident core of ultimate badass coms either aren't around or are tired of sitting on their pasty rumps, I'd go ahead and take the helm. This would usually be for those games where all the rines sit around the spawn and look at each other making motions towards the chair, then running off.

Just a few notes:
    1. I haven't commed heavily since 1.04. I got a crash course the other day, so I've got all the basics I need.
    2. Any critisisms or help would be greatly appreciated. This does not include asking for a "shotty" 60 times (although, no one reading this would ever do that), but someone was nice enough to point out that I should include an HMG or two in my HA train (Red_eye maybe?). This is VERY welcome.
    3. I figured out the whole "assign marines/objects to 1-5," but if there are any other advanced commands or binds you think I should use (Wyz...hint hint): Post them.
    4. I had a horrible record back in 1.04, mainly due to pub rines, but also because I can forget vital upgrades (motion being one). If we have tons of res, and there's an upgrade you think we need: Tell me.
    5. Asking me multiple times for anything will make me pray for a Dungeon Keeper plug-in so I can slap you around like my.... wait, nevermind...
    6. I will try to offer more "radical" comming techniques sometimes when I com. The regs here can read Wyz pretty well (as can I). His tactics are hard hitting and very effective, but I came to NS from Jedi Academy where sticking with the same tactics over and over gets you pegged and gets you owned. Wyz has lost maps when some regs on on aliens because we know what to expect after a certain action of his part fails or succeeds.
    7. Be ready to loose against stiff alien opposition: I am not as fast as TG's resident coms and my last win was due to the horrendous acts of pubs on the alien team.

tycho

Re: Commander FeniX

As local resident perma-comm lately Ill toss a few your way. Im not a very good comm so bear with me

Upgrade fast. It is vital to be ahead of the aliens on the upgrade curve if you ask me. Getting a fast armour 1 denies the use of sens for focus, and getting weapons upgrades quickly forces the aliens into a defensive posture which can throw off thier game. Initiative is everything.

Also, be agressive. One of my biggest flaws is that Im too agressive often overpassing nodes in favor of trying to push an advantage. This can work both ways. Keep sending those marines out killing alien nodes and occasionally shooting a hive. Doing so keeps the aliens on thier toes and forces them to react to you as opposed to them having the initiative. If they are out defending thier nodes and thier hives then they arent attacking your nodes as hard. Again, this can work both ways. I am often guilty of sending out my base bitch before I have an elec'd tfact up to defend. Inititive again is everything here.

Electrification. Personally I dont do it as I prefer early upgrades to counter fades or a hive rush. However I have started to elect stuff after our first hive push as the aliens cant really focus on my nodes as much as they could with two hives as they are forced to play defensively to counter my pushes into thier hives. Often though I find myself out of nodes after I kill the third or fourth hive ( if the game goes like that ). Even just one or two nodes being electrified may be worth it. However I strongly believe that early electrification is a waste of res that should be spent on upgrades or motion/HA research, etc. Its all a matter of playstyle really, as mine is agressive I can count on my marines to keep the aliens off my nodes for the most part.

Shotguns. Give them out at about the time the aliens are building their second hive. Do not wait untill the second hive is up. Shotgun rush and try and kill the hive that is going up as the aliens cannot spawn there and do not recieve healing. Using phase gates is essential to this as sometimes things go wrong. The more upgraded your shotties are the faster things die - remember that.

Strats. I dont have many that im willing to give out, but I will give a good one that has worked recently and is hard to counter unless the alien team is on its toes. Toss a phase gate near a hive. Make sure that every marine save one is there and posed to attack. Try and draw the aliens to this hive. Shoot it if the opportunity presents itself. However with that lone marine have him build a phase at another hive. Right when the entire alien team is defending the hive that your larger forces is protecting have them phase through to the now undefended hive and proceed to shotty it down. There isnt much the aliens can do, especially if you kill the movement chambers first. Again, this is a matter of preference but it works like a champ if your team is responsive to your orders.

Each comm has thier own style and its just a matter of playing more to find your own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm on your team, your chances of winning just got a whole lot better.

s(^o^)z

Just ask tycho =P

Listen to people like Polska and Wyz when they present ideas. I guess that goes without saying though. When I speak up, I usualy have somthing good to say, or atleast some information. Contrary so some, shotguns own fades, even if you can't aim. Don't care how good you are as fade, 4 shotguns will pose a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Tycho and Paranoid, I'll try and win a few games for ya.

I still remember yelling at that Conan guy along the lines of "Get the Hell out of my base right now." I was pissed then, but laugh everytime I think about it.

I think I'll take the "abusive com" approach. It's fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFeniX
    Thanks Tycho and Paranoid, I'll try and win a few games for ya.
    Fine, don't thank me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol i remember the game where we knew wyzcrak was gonna comm, and we know he electrifies like a mofo early, so we dropped sensories and focused him to death.

much to his chagrin.

on the plus side though, i haven't seen the armory-as-fade-counter strat in a long time, which is always good :O you want AT LEAST level 1 armor/weaps by the time fades come around, and level 3 weapons will dominate fades.

i also wouldn't invest in HA's or JP's in too many games, simply because they're too expensive, take too long, and half the time light armor marines equipped with the guns can do the same (especially if brad's on your team =_= )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Must have been while I was typing that, I guess I didn't notice that. Good times....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just get phase gates, thats all you need. Time has proven again and again that no alien team can match my Phase gates.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse
    Just get phase gates, thats all you need. Time has proven again and again that no alien team can match my Phase gates.
    .... said the 2.x comm.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Says the best comm ever. Period. It worked in 1.0, it worked in 2.0, it will work in 3.0. Glimmering shower of sparks, and the fwoosh of nano-molecular reassembly shall reverberate loudly upon my return, just you wait

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse
    lmao. I remember is 1.04 (or was it early 2.0?) when I used to try to comm. I was comming a really bad game. (my marines were doing well, but the alien team had a good map and i suck) and eclipse joined. The first thing he says: "Why the hell aren't we using phase gates?". lol. I didn't even have an obs about 10 mins into the game, and this map was frikin huge, i mean HUGE. I was so frustrated, and then he said that, and like no wonder.... n00b comm. I stepped out and he took over (many thanks, i was outclassed by the aliens) and we did pretty well, but i dont think we won.

--
    CaveDog
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've thought about trying to com again. i've done it a few times and it is much better then it was in 1.04.

The only think i can't figure out is how to bind stucts and groups to 1-5. do tell.
    --
    CaveDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really nice to see a good spread of comms. TG is a hard server to comm on b/c the aliens are so compitent. I do wish that there was a good way to mask the identity of the marine comm (scoreboard). It would make it far more difficult for the aliens to predict the next marine move.

Good luck Fenix, I look forward to serving under you.

I can't seem to bind structs to keys 1-5 either. Perhaps my config is messed up.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaveDog
    I've thought about trying to com again. i've done it a few times and it is much better then it was in 1.04.

The only think i can't figure out is how to bind stucts and groups to 1-5. do tell.
    <duck bind> + <number>
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    <duck bind> + <number>

hm, so simple...

I suppose it is with the entity selected?

I'll have to try it.

W/o this, it just makes sieging no fun, you cant go back to base and find the obs to scan then go to the siege point to do the scan. madness.
    --
    CaveDog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast