Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

random comm tips

1) on the minimap, when a res node you KNOW you have turns from blue to grey, it means it's under attack. you probably won't get the voice message that says "structures under attack," so you're going to have to be watching out for the blue-to-grey transitions.

2) if marines run out of base early, and kill a skulk, DROP THEM AMMO IMMEDIATELY. 1 pack of ammo per kill (and possibly meds) is necessary for marine longevity. Just scroll over to where the fight was, drop some ammo, and move on. The alternative is that i would have to load up on 250 ammo before running out. SUre, i could CALL for ammo on voicecomm, and spam everyone out, but that's a sign of a bad comm.

3) medpacking is key to victory. move to where the fight is, hilight all the marines, and medpack those that need it. they shouldn't have to be spamming voicecomm OR text chat before your meds or ammo reaches them. don't spam voicecomm yourself by saying "Medpacks are on the way, please hold there for just a little longer, i'll be with you shortly." JUST press E, and then S, and then drop them where the marine is about to go

4) Watch the minimap for those little circle-blips. it means your marines are under attack. often times the voice won't tell you "marines are under attack," so the only thing you have to rely on are the circle-blips on the minimap because those are actually accurate and reliable.

5) defend base. drop a pack of mines, or a tfac, DO SOMETHING.

6) an obs will reveal the enemy as red dots on the minimap. an obs in base will tell you when it's under attack because you can see a little red dot wander up to marine start and then stay over a building (it means he's attacking it). know how to use the minimap.

IN summary: use the minimap, drop ammo and meds always :O

keeping your marines healthy and ammo-happy, and keeping track of your nodes is the key to victory.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: random comm tips

If this is another attempt to be helpful, bravo. Good points in that thread.

If this is another attempt to whine that you die because you didn't get medpacks, life's a bitch and get over it.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg wyzcrak, you let me die all the time!!!! :O so here's a story for you.

Once upon a time, there was a comm who kept his marines med'd and ammo'd well. They proceeded to not die, and ONE PARTICULAR MARINE went 24-0 in cargo against a constant onslaught of skulks from their only hive, Fusion. The other marines capped the rest of the map while the skulks in fusion failed to come up with anything strategic besides just rushing him in groups of 2. They died. The end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dropping medpacks sucks now, they changed it so you cant drop it right on the marine anymore, and it sucks.

Oh and when your in your chair, and those mud-trenching maggots you call "soldiers" need anything, just remember that THEY didnt get in the chair, you did, which makes you just short of a god, with this highly status you, and you alone, determine what your team does and does not need not them. Ever. (Ever) That is all.

(I am the best)

tycho

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse
    and those mud-trenching maggots you call "soldiers" need anything, just remember that THEY didnt get in the chair, you did,:
    Not only was this really funny, but its also really true. Some people bitch all the time at thier comm and my reply is always "I didnt see you hop in the chair though, did I?" to which they often shut up.

If you want to do something right, you have to do it yourself.

But sasnuts - good points on the comming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse
    Dropping medpacks sucks now, they changed it so you cant drop it right on the marine anymore, and it sucks.
    I'm pretty sure this is on the bug list, and they're planning on fixing it. It was an unforseen side-effect of a building issue "fix".

Emanon

a marine that needs meds = not worthy

a marine that needs ammo = you gave him too much med/they dont conserve

a marine that doesnt use voice comm = kicked

a marine that expects a comm to watch him and 5 other marines while thinking of what to do next/upgrading/making decisions = frustration

Some of this is a joke FYI.

If you are in a battle dont expect a comm to save ya.

I like to play with honor, if you cant make it through a battle 1 on 1 dont expect to much from me as comm. After then ill prepare you for your next battle.

Emanon

Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke
    omg wyzcrak, you let me die all the time!!!! :O so here's a story for you.
    I love people who use these comments, its not the comms fault you died. Its the fault of the player. You may say you didnt give me ammo or med, I'll say take that thing with a sharp edge and use it, haha.

If anyone hasn't noticed I'm a hard ass when I comm. No excuses you wimpy marines.

Reminds me of "Full Metal Jacket"

*edit*
    Reminder to all comms, you cant win the game, the marines have to win it. You can only supply them with what they "really" need. If they can't shoot its not your fault.
    Last edited by Emanon; 05-14-2004 at 10:37 AM.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blah blah blah... there's always room for improvement when you're comm, there's always room for improvement when you're a marine... everyone has room to learn (except Eclipse, due to his inherit deity status).

I don't know what my record as comm is, but I'm pretty sure no one else here has one that rivals it, so all I can do is weed through Sasuke's bitching and look for constructive criticisms. Only by realizing where you screwed up do you become awesome for it.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage
    I'm pretty sure this is on the bug list, and they're planning on fixing it. It was an unforseen side-effect of a building issue "fix".
    This made me think: how last-minute does a "fix" have to be such that you don't realize that your inability to drop a medpack on a marine is one of its unintended side effects? I mean, it's not like medpacks are tier-three tech or something... we're talking about game fundamentals here. How little pre-release testing happens before that goes unnoticed (it wasn't even in the release changelog as a known issue), much less unfixed?

Anyway, just made me think...

Emanon

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    I don't know what my record as comm is, but I'm pretty sure no one else here has one that rivals it.
    Are we talking ratio or quantity?

Like sasuke said, pay more attention to your minimap, usually I spend most of my comming looking at that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emanon
    Are we talking ratio or quantity?
    I will venture a guess to say: "both".
    --
    CaveDog
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emanon
    Like sasuke said, pay more attention to your minimap, usually I spend most of my comming looking at that.
    This isn't news to me, but reading it in this way did remind me of something.

I used to have a boss that played Starcraft. He and I would battle it out frequently. The guys was devestatingly talented, and I remember him telling me one day that it was very rare that he would look at the main screen. He claimed to play almost the entire game by using nothing but hotkeys and his mini-map.

Interesting, anyway.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke
    1) on the minimap, when a res node you KNOW you have turns from blue to grey, it means it's under attack
    What else can the blue-to-grey transition mean? I've had structures turn grey before that were not under attack, and that no aliens were in the vicinity of.

Emanon

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    What else can the blue-to-grey transition mean? I've had structures turn grey before that were not under attack, and that no aliens were in the vicinity of.

Not being built?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast