Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: 05/13 ns_origin

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

05/13 ns_origin

A demo of a rather short and brutal game on ns_origin on Thursday night.

Download

The download offers two demos, both in first person. I have recorded the alien side and paranoid has recorded the marine side, commanded by Yellow-Asterisk.

This was a rather obvious example of the idea that whichever team best manages their res wins. I this time don't have the luxury of watching the demos before I share them with everyone else, but I will offer more details about the game after I've watched both demos. I'm eager to see the game from the perspective of the opposition, but I plan to first watch the demo of the alien team, to place at the front of my mind the screw ups I remember complaining about during the game, the most devestating of which was the failure on the part of the alien team to most effectively use the resources available to them. I'm eager to see how much planning, and how much luck, went into the opposition's intentional and unintentional reaction to our screw ups.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 05/13 ns_origin

I'm always pleased as a marine to see Parasite go lerk. heh. In time he'll learn how to be more valuable, I'm sure. Even if it's not lerk, which he is slowly working to improve as, he'll figure something out.

Yeah, at one point the aliens had 100 res between them and no agreed-upon plan for how to spend it. :/

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    I'm always pleased as a marine to see Parasite go lerk. heh. In time he'll learn how to be more valuable, I'm sure. Even if it's not lerk, which he is slowly working to improve as, he'll figure something out.

Yeah, at one point the aliens had 100 res between them and no agreed-upon plan for how to spend it. :/
    Short of my crosshairs, there's no spot on my screen I'm more aware of than that resource count. I guess if I went fade or lerk or onos more then once a month, I might get the luxury of just hoarding the res for a while.

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface
    Short of my crosshairs, there's no spot on my screen I'm more aware of than that resource count. I guess if I went fade or lerk or onos more then once a month, I might get the luxury of just hoarding the res for a while.
    I've gotten to this point, too. It's why I typically claim responsibility for the second hive. If I'm a skulk with 46 resources, the hive is late because of it. When I hit mid-40s, I should be gestating, ready to drop that hive when I hit 40 as gorge. Most others can give the team a second hive at the five- or six-minute mark. I typically drop one at the three- or four-minute mark.

The same can be said of res nodes. If you're a skulk and you have 22 res and no commitment or lifeform plan for spending that money, find a node and start gestating to gorge. Cap the node, skulk it up, and move on. Every node mades a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since that night you gave me a chewing for not getting setup for the 2nd hive around 45 res, I've been much better about it. Most of my NS experience comes from playing on pubs which always gave the feeling of "drop the hive whenever." This wasn't a big issue because the pub rines were almost always as unorganized as us.

But on TG, that doesn't fly. Provided my team does their job on RTs, I can have that hive going up at right at the 3 minute mark. And I get a sense of satisfaction that I did my job well.

Stuff like this is just good to know and I wont ever give someone a hard time for pointing them out to me, just don't be an ass about it (not pointed at you Wyz, you did a good thing explaining that to me).

ImWithStupid

It's almost better for aliens to agree that WHOEVER has the res first will drop the hive. A good skulk that can take out 4 marines (~8-10 res from the kills) and doesn't die within the first three minutes can have the hive started at the 3:30 mark (provided aliens have had three res towers for most of that time). You get your hive super fast and you don't have to worry that your designated hive-dropper (as called before the "bell" at the start of the round) has a bad five minutes, gets no kills, is constantly dead (you collect no res when dead), and can't drop the hive for 10 minutes.

Aliens should pick three at the start - one for hive, one for fade, and the other for chambers. Whoever gets the res first drops chambers, then hive, then fade (assuming equal fade skill, need for chambers, etc -- adjust as necessary) and the rest drop nodes and set up a patrol - defend nodes, take out marine nodes. With a 7 player alien team you could even afford two fades (that's still 3 rt + the original). With that res flow, most people will be back in the 30 res range in a few minutes. Enough to drop the second hive chambers / lame / lerk / whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ----paranoid----
    What also didn't help was parasite going lerk. I played 2 games before the one in the demo, and parasite went lerk in those games and had the "i'm so leet" attitude which didn't help the team. He died in the 2 games before as he died in the demo'ed one and everytime he cliam "don't worry I'M there".

LOL total agreement here paranoid. you don't know how true that is.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow.. I've watched both demos, and absolutely the marines deserved to win that round. The aliens simply didn't have our act together. The marines were a well-oiled machine under the cool, calm, and confident direction of Yellow-Asterisk. The fade pursuit mid-round was terrificly entertaining to watch in the demo.. almost as disgusting as it was to watch paranoid pistol whip me like a bitch in bio hive early in the round, but whatever.

Those were fun demos to watch. More people should use amx_demo. The more rounds that we capture from both sides the better.

Great job, marines... and great job Yellow.