User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mp_consistency

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mp_consistency

I plan to enable model consistency tonight. This thread is your chance to convince me otherwise if you're so inclined.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: mp_consistency

Eh? What's it do?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So marines look like marines and aliens look like aliens? I can live.

<joke>So long as my walls remain see through.</joke>

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(I don't use custom models, although I do have modified crosshairs, I have a blue/green color blindless which makes it difficult to see blue crosshairs)
    I don't think consistency should be enabled simply because people *may* used spiked models. If you think someone is, do a FSS (Forced Screen Shot) and make them turn in the screenshot within a given time, otherwise they're banned for X amount of hours/days/months/ever. Some people use legitimate models that actually make the game interesting to them (AvP, StarCraft, etc). It's actually more difficult to hit the legitimate replacement models, because it doesn't change the hitboxes, simply the client side model that is drawn. The only reason you could possibly want to turn this on for is to prevent spiked/hacked models (a red skulk that shoots out red lines from it, so it's easily viewable even in ambush positions). Like I mentioned above, take a FSS for the person and make them send it in.
    This also affects crosshairs for weapons that don't normally have them. Some of us use custom crosshairs, including for for weapons that normally don't have them (I have a motley assortment of replacement crosshairs, including the knife, devour, and umbra). It's a legitimate use of replacement sprites, yet it'll be blocked by this. This reason alone is enough to not use mp_consistency. FSS can take care of it for you, or request demos.

EDIT - http://www.ugleague.org/module.php?i...ews&newsid=499
    UGL says that it affects sounds and sprites as well as models.
    Last edited by TheAdj`; 05-21-2004 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Adding information about consistency

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a modified crosshair also... i hope that doesnt effect it..

Emanon

Anyone care to look into weither crosshairs are checked?

I say do it just so we can continue to make a secure and pure NS environment.

CD cant check for model "hacks"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CD can't, but good admining can. When people start dying in situations they shouldn't, take a FSS of whoever is killing them. Often aliens are quite stupid about ambushing, and make noise or hide in a visible spot. Other times people die in odd ways that could be coincedence or not. Cheating is NOT a major deal in NS, it's far too easy to tell who's good and who's not; not much luck involved. Preventing people from playing because they use non-stock sounds or weapon crosshairs is rather absurd. I know pretty much everyone in wmd uses the 1.04 crosshairs, and they wouldn't be allowed to play due to the Draconian measure consistency uses (boolean: either it's default or it's banned).

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just dont like the new crosshairs.. I find them too big and cumbersome so I changed them for smaller ones. If you want a screen shot of what they look like let me know.

Emanon

Quote Originally Posted by TheAdj`
    CD can't, but good admining can. When people start dying in situations they shouldn't, take a FSS of whoever is killing them. Often aliens are quite stupid about ambushing, and make noise or hide in a visible spot. Other times people die in odd ways that could be coincedence or not. Cheating is NOT a major deal in NS, it's far too easy to tell who's good and who's not; not much luck involved. Preventing people from playing because they use non-stock sounds or weapon crosshairs is rather absurd. I know pretty much everyone in wmd uses the 1.04 crosshairs, and they wouldn't be allowed to play due to the Draconian measure consistency uses (boolean: either it's default or it's banned).

This doent make sence, when has anyone "When people start dying in situations they shouldn't," NS has upgrades that make finding any cheats very hard.

FSS is crap, I have been forced to do this on CS and I just rather go and find a another server.

I have never noticed this even when people have been cheating. How would this relate to models?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emanon
    This doent make sence
    ... to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanon
    FSS is crap
    This adds nothing of value to the post while simultaneously increasing the likelihood that the person on the receiving end it just going to get frustrated.

When we're disagreeing, we should be very careful to keep respect for others' ideas at the front of our minds. Broad generalizations hurt more than they help.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what mp_consistency offers that nothing else does: third-party, independent moderation when considering which modifications are valid and which are not. Like it or not, right or wrong, happy or sad... everyone is playing on the closest we're going to get to a level playing field environmentally.

You can't please everyone, but I think this helps more than it hurts when you consider the big picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it messes with crosshairs... lame.

If it messes with sounds... lame, I have the old shotty sound =(

The only thing I think it should mess with is models though, atleast I'm pretty sure.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm. Looks like many (if not all) sprites, models, and sounds.

http://www.modns.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=524

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the lists made in the link in wyz's posts are correct then it doesnt seem that crosshairs are checked, or even muzzleflashes, which seems ok with me.

Im gonna miss my bilebomb sprite tho :/

Emanon

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    ... to you.

This adds nothing of value to the post while simultaneously increasing the likelihood that the person on the receiving end it just going to get frustrated.

When we're disagreeing, we should be very careful to keep respect for others' ideas at the front of our minds. Broad generalizations hurt more than they help.

What? This is my experience with FSS, and it did suck cause I was a long time member of the server and some new admin didnt like me.

Even if it did check crosshairs the original HL crosshair (IE 1.04) is allowed cause that is what you see when spectating. And I too use them.

BTW, isnt consistanty turned on during tourney mode / enforced on CAL/OGL I know it use to when it was working. And also remembering that I had to reinstall NS when I had to play in a match with TR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast