Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tournament - You're all invited

I've never mentioned it before, but in addition to playing in CAL, I also help run the BattleForTheGalaxy tournament. Since some of you seem to like the competitive environment, this would be a great place to start. The games are larger and run longer, and are incredibly fun to play in (I was in the Beta). There's a lot of experienced leadership, and the tourny is just starting back up. The website is www.battleforthegalaxy.com. You only play one side for the duration of the campaign, so choose your side wisely.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Tournament - You're all invited

Thank you for this.

Why do I associate financial cost with this site? I've researched it before and lost interest due to cost. Am I insane, or do they charge for other areas of the site? Help me believe I'm not going crazy.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's free, despite what may or may not be posted.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAdj`
    It's free, despite what may or may not be posted.
    I think I just read that the NS stuff is free. Is the entire operation free? Do they charge for events involving other games?

Hmm..

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, most of the other tournies require a small fee to join, and it pays for the entire campaign (they vary, most are 3 months+).

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAdj`
    Yea, most of the other tournies require a small fee to join, and it pays for the entire campaign (they vary, most are 3 months+).
    Any idea why this one is free? I wonder if it's because of the financial demographic and age group that most NS players are in, especially compared to other online multiplayer games.

Thanks for helping me maintain confidence in my sanity, BTW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pssht, I'm probably a constant headache wyz. I never agree with anything you say or do, I always present the opposite argument, and I constantly harass and kill you in-game. No way I help you maintain your sanity.
    On a serious note, the reason this MFOTS tournament doesn't cost cash to play is the amount of players. The NS Community is still growing, it's relatively new compared to other games, and the tournament had to overcome great hurdles to get started again. The previous tournament director had a lot of issues come up, so we had to start over from scratch. I'm currently re-writing the rules for the tournament, while others set up the forums and get the backend stuff squared away. Some of the people from TG could learn a lot playing here, there's some great talent playing in this tourny, and a good number of CAL clan people are already signed up. If nothing else it's a way to waste a lot of time on Saturdays.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the explanation.

To be sure, the rate at which you kill me is hardly justification for concern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After registering you will have a couple of weeks to get to know the community and have a chance to see how the tournament works. Then, if you want to continue to participate, you will need to pay the enrollment fee (or find a sponsor willing to pay it for you) which will permit you to continue to participate through the end of the campaign.
    So is this incorrect?
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com

Emanon

So is this like a:
    Clan thingy where you choose your teammate or already have a team.
    NSPUG where people get randomly grouped?

If it is a team thing I wouldnt mind joining someone.

Emanon

After registering you will have a couple of weeks to get to know the community and have a chance to see how the tournament works. Then, if you want to continue to participate, you will need to pay the enrollment fee (or find a sponsor willing to pay it for you) which will permit you to continue to participate through the end of the campaign.
    Here is the explaination of cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That part hasn't been removed yet. Once again: THERE IS NO FEE TO PLAY. That section of the rules was taken from one of the other tournaments and I haven't managed to get it corrected yet. Just sign up and go get on the forums, and you'll be good.

Emanon, you choose a side (aliens or marines), and play that side for the duration of the campaign (a while, 2-3 months easily). You never have to play, but it's encouraged. The battles are long, and everyone has a chance to play at one point in the day (battles are currently 12 hours long on Saturdays). The sheer size of the teams makes it fun to play.
    Last edited by TheAdj`; 05-25-2004 at 02:59 PM.

Emanon

that helps thx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is it lots of regular sized games of NS all adding up to a big "battle" or is each game of NS like 30 players? still very unclear about the exact structure of how this works, how you get assigned to a game/battle etc. Sounds interesting though.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com