Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

McCain- Lieberman bill - write to your rep

FYI

Dear NRDC BioGems Defender,

Nero may have fiddled while Rome burned, but when it comes to global warming the Bush Administration has taken denial of disaster to a whole new level.

With the world burning up from the hottest ten years in recorded history, the administration hasn't simply ignored the flames. It's poured gasoline on them.

First, President Bush broke his campaign promise to control global warming pollution. Then he snubbed the rest of humanity and rejected the Kyoto Protocol, our best chance to solve the problem.

Since then, the Bush Administration has gagged its own scientists for telling the truth . . . censored its own global warming studies . . . and used Enron- style accounting tricks to hide the disastrous results of its do-nothing policy.

As we hurtle towards an environmental nightmare of killer heat waves, prolonged droughts and devastating water shortages, the Bush Administration is obsessed with one thing only: protecting the fat profits of oil, coal and auto companies -- America's biggest global warming polluters.

But you and I are about to change all that.

With the opening of "The Day After Tomorrow" -- the new global warming disaster movie -- we have a golden opportunity to make the U.S. Senate pass the McCain- Lieberman bill and force the Bush Administration to reckon with this looming environmental crisis.

The Senate is likely to cast its decisive vote in mid-June. That means we need your immediate financial support in order to mobilize massive grassroots pressure on all 100 senators -- and demand that they obey the will of the American people, not the wishes of corporate polluters.

Please go to https://www.nrdcactionfund.org/globalwarming/donate.asp and make an Emergency Contribution that will help pass this visionary bill and light a fire under the Bush Administration.

Let me tell you how the NRDC Action Fund is going to seize this rare moment in history.

This week, millions of Americans will flock to movie theaters to see "The Day After Tomorrow." While the movie's story line is surely exaggerated, it will succeed as nothing else has in alerting our nation to the fact that global warming is real -- and that it is happening today, not the day after tomorrow.

You can't buy this kind of massive public education. And it comes at the perfect time: just as the Senate prepares to cast its second vote on the McCain- Lieberman bill. If passed, this law will finally set mandatory limits on global warming pollution from power plants, automobiles and other major culprits behind the number one environmental problem of our time.

Last fall, the McCain-Lieberman bill was defeated by only seven votes. That narrow margin of victory stunned the White House and put it on notice that a growing number of senators reject its do-nothing approach.

Today, the unthinkable has become possible: the U.S. Senate could actually pass global warming legislation. "The Day After Tomorrow" will energize the public in a way that nothing ever has. But we need your immediate help to channel that energy into a nationwide outcry that will secure a landmark victory in the U.S.
    Senate.

Your donation will enable the NRDC Action Fund to launch a nationwide mobilization campaign aimed squarely at delivering the eight votes we need.
    Several senators are close to voting yes. We can nail down their votes with a deluge of letters, phone calls and editorials from their constituents back home.

But that will cost money. We must raise $200,000 as soon as possible in order
    to:

* Produce and run two weeks of hard-hitting radio and print ads in key states
    * Follow up with phone banking that will generate thousands of calls to the Senate
    * Mobilize the local support of farm organizations, recreational groups, and labor unions that will throw their weight behind the McCain-Lieberman bill.

We can get to our $200,000 goal if 8,000 caring people like you give $25 each.
    I hope you'll agree that is a small price to pay to turn up the political heat on the Bush Administration and its friends in the powerful oil, coal and auto industries.

Please go to https://www.nrdcactionfund.org/globalwarming/donate.asp and contribute $25 -- or even more if you possibly can -- so that we can wage and win this fight for our planet's environmental future.

When you go to our website, you'll also be able to make your voice heard in support of the McCain-Lieberman bill by sending electronic messages to your two senators.

The Bush Administration has fiddled long enough while global temperatures rise, wildfires burn and Antarctic ice shelves collapse. The time has come to break industry's stranglehold on this administration and its do-nothing global warming policy.

Please, give today and help us light a fire under the White House and corporate boardrooms across America by passing the McCain-Lieberman bill.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

John H. Adams
    President
    NRDC Action Fund
    Jex.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: McCain- Lieberman bill - write to your rep

I so want that movie to really happen... then maybe people will learn that ignoring the problem doesnt work... and that mother nature can be a bitch if you piss her off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure about the donation part but perhaps a letter to congress would help.
    Jex.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TBH, That entire article seemed like a giant ad for their web site. It seems as though they're using the typical government scare tactic to get what they want.. not a good way to get people on their side IMHO..

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by _Ender_
    IMHO
    You don't have HOs.

er... well, you get my point.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earth is under attack

The Day after Tomorrow is REAL!

The Day After Tomorrow started the weekend in first place, but by the time Saturday rolled around it's mediocre word of mouth started to adversely affect it.....with reviews that are average at best, hovering just below the 50% positive level, and with another massive film opening next weekend, this one will be quickly buried by the competition

link
    New to TG? Start here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the point was to highlight the objective. From what I've heard the film is not that good but it's not about the film - it's about your environment and everyone else's.

If I came round your house and started pumping my car exhaust into it and dumping chemicals in your garden you'd probably complain - why is it any different when industry does it?
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jex
    If I came round your house and started pumping my car exhaust into it and dumping chemicals in your garden you'd probably complain - why is it any different when industry does it?
    Um, actually, you DO do that. Bastard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jex
    I think the point was to highlight the objective. From what I've heard the film is not that good but it's not about the film - it's about your environment and everyone else's.

Well, two things are different. We WANT industry to do it by buying their products and not voting for Senators that will do more than current politicians do. Both of those factors are market driven. If people were more worried about it, which they would be if the science was more concrete, they would vote and spend differently. That's what has brought us recycling, Built Green Homes, hybrid cars, and on and on. It takes two extremes to find a middle. The far left Earth Firsts and ELFs of the world pull everyone toward environmental stewardship, and the "who gives a crap corporate industry" types keep them in check from destroying our economy. Most of us are in the middle.

Secondly, if you compare how we procude goods to 100 years ago we are doing much better in the pollution department. And I do believe its getting better even though you have push and pull with political issues all the time. Take Denver as an example, and there are cities like it all over the world. If you look at pictures of Denver 100 years ago there were NO trees, and the mining industry ran the rivers and air black. Today, there are three million people and LESS pollution and MORE trees. This is typical of the industrialized world. The rest of the world will improve as their economies progress.
    New to TG? Start here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USN_Squid
    if you compare how we procude goods to 100 years ago we are doing much better in the pollution department. And I do believe its getting better even though you have push and pull with political issues all the time. Take Denver as an example, and there are cities like it all over the world. If you look at pictures of Denver 100 years ago there were NO trees, and the mining industry ran the rivers and air black. Today, there are three million people and LESS pollution and MORE trees. This is typical of the industrialized world. The rest of the world will improve as their economies progress.
    Denver's a nice example, but y'know what really worries me? The deforestation of the Amazonian rainforest. I'm no scientist, but the damage that is being done to our primary source of terrestrial oxygen production is alarming.... I don't know if we can afford to wait until their economy progresses...

Oh, and I saw The Day After Tomorrow last weekend. It's absolutely the worst movie I've seen since Battlefield Earth. Horrible... I asked for my money back and the manager of the theater refused. She said that she gets two or three people from every showing that ask her the same thing...

If you're going to the movies, see Shrek2, it was much better... Or wait until next weekend and see Harry...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe the public are the ones who will have the say as to whether they do or don't want another alternative. It will be government, if anything that forces a change like it always has done.
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Oh, and I saw The Day After Tomorrow last weekend. It's absolutely the worst movie I've seen since Battlefield Earth. Horrible...
    Lol. Glad to see that Battlefield Earth is still the worst movie of the century. Worse than horrible apparently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The book is meant to be really good though.
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Denver's a nice example, but y'know what really worries me? The deforestation of the Amazonian rainforest. I'm no scientist, but the damage that is being done to our primary source of terrestrial oxygen production is alarming.... I don't know if we can afford to wait until their economy progresses...
    Yes, Natural Forests are disappearing very quickly, but tree for tree (i.e. oxygen source) there are more and more every year. source

I almost went to see Day After Tomorrow, but it sounds like my money was better spent on Troy...loved it.
    New to TG? Start here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we did this:

Cut down a 100 year old tree, and plant one, wait 100 years and then cut another, that would work.

As it stands now, we have been raping hillsides of old growth trees, and planting a bunch of saplings that are of no real ecological/economical good to anyone/anything for another 50-60 years. (but the lumber mill gets their's so it's ok)

And in most places, they're not even planting the same species of trees, as the originals don't grow fast enough.

We, as humans, are leaving a HUGE footprint on this planet. Granted, we have been getting better at it over the past 20 or so years, but relaxing now is not the answer.

Keeping corporations as accountable as everyday citizens is the right thing to do.

Does everyone not have to deal with emissions/registration on their vehicles?

re: the amazon. I'm at a loss as to what to do there. The companies are operating without oversight and an easily bought-off government. It's the same with doing business in most 3rd world countries. Until companies hold themselves to a higher standard, they will do whatever makes the most money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast