Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: Rates

Emanon

Rates

I was snooping around the steam forums and found some nifty adjustments and warnings that seem to work very well for me.

rate 20000 (max of the steam engine anything more can cause problems)
    cl_updaterate 40 (set tot he max of the server you play on, anything more can cause studdering player movment)
    cl_cmdrate 86 (1+ more than your average framrate)
    cl_resend 1.5
    cl_cmdbackup 0

Look at what I found
    http://www.natural-selection.org/for...&#entry1107052

Finally a way to remove the .1 lock on ex_interp
    Just add this to your config
    ex_interp 0.07; alias ex_interp ""
    Or change .07 to a number you would like. 0.1 is default, .07 is best, 0 will allow steam to configure it for you.

This helps by removing alot of the clientside prediction, which is now partially responsible for the problems of laggy hitboxes.

It isnt a hack/exploit so lets not get into this.

Hope it can help,
    Emanon
    Last edited by Emanon; 06-29-2004 at 01:17 PM.

Emanon

Re: Rates

Adj you dont have interp explained in your post there, I did a find and it found nothing.

Also if you dont include alias part of the command it will revert back to the 0.1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was just about rates, I didn't go into interp because it's not something everyone needs to change. For those that don't know, ex_interp is interpolation. It allows the client to "guess" where the model is a certain amount of the time, which combined with the actual location of the model on the server presents a smoothed out appearance. Making interp sync with the updaterate (what it's supposed to do by default) can cause jerky actions of models, but it's their actual position and makes it easier to actually hit them. Everyone has to adjust interp and find their own sweet spot. Right now I'm trying it at 0, so it syncs with my updaterate. I'm having mixed results, and I'm just trying to find what works out for me.

Emanon

*UPDATE*

Since Steam updated alot of stuff regarding the hitboxes it seems to effect the setting of ex_interp inorder to get smooth gameplay.

I have updated the post above.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the effort.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Emanon

This no longer applies since b5 came out, something in the netcode has changed. If I find something that can help I may update this but otherwise just archive this.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your contributions are appreciated. I'll unsticky this for now per your advisement.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emanon
    This no longer applies since b5 came out, something in the netcode has changed. If I find something that can help I may update this but otherwise just archive this.
    Indeed. My "mouse lagginess" has gone away. Ever since we went to steam, I would sometimes have the problem of my mouse movement being behind the real-life mouse. Some have thought it was my new wireless mouse (which I got like a week or two before steam became the norm), but I stuck by my guns.

Sure enough, with this new update, my problem has gone away. Completely.

Now the only thing that is a problem is the voice chat and moving the mouse while in the comm chair, but that is more prevalent, or so I hear.
    --
    CaveDog
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."