Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Emanon

Post Need some Feedback

I have been working to find the best solution for the Hitbox problems/shots not registering. (partial reason for the server going wacky yesterday, sorry)

Starting tonight What I need:
    Feedback on occurances on the server of shots/bites not registering.
    Before your report these things please be sure your using the ex_interp fix in the rates thread and your connection is also optimized.Also check if the player you tried to hit wasnt lagging or didnt spike. (IE turbinator )http://forums.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=7270

Video would be best, but I will take your word just try to be sure that it should have registered.

Things to include:
    Gun/weapon (lmg, shotgun, bite, swipe..)
    Target lifeform (skulk, marine, gorge, HA...)
    Ducking or not

ImWithStupid

Re: Need some Feedback

So what's the ex_interp fix? From all the discussion I saw on the ns.org boards - YMMV depending on what you set your ex_interp to. I tried playing with it set to 0.05 - and it was totally messed up. Very little hit. Perhaps I'm not used to it yet - but I don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference between a "normal" hitbox lag/bug and something screwy because I'm playing with a new ex_interp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Open your userconfig.cfg and add the following:

ex_interp 0.1; alias ex_interp ""

Except instead of 0.1 put the new value. The recommended setting is apparently 1 over your cl_updaterate, so if your updaterate was 40 your ex_interp would be 0.025. Setting it at 0 supposedly does the same thing automatically.

ImWithStupid

Sorry to be confusing - I know how and have changed my ex_interp. My point was that how do I provide good feedback to Ema when I can't tell if my "misses" are due to me not knowing how to deal with new ex_interp values (which he uses, I'm guessing, as a prerequisite for providing him data) and which are "real - due to a bug"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Record demos and play them back in slow motion on suspected bugged moments. If your see your crosshair over the alien, and the bullets seem to "dissapear" into the model, it's bugged. Make your tracers easy to see, this makes it easier to track. I record regularly and play them back to myself to see how I aim, and you'll be amazed how many random shots actually dissapear into the model. About 1 out of 4 bullets hits the model but not the hitbox in certain situations. Count how many bullets hit a vanilla skulk and see how many it takes, I promise it'll be higher than 9. At least 5 bullets will hit the model but not cause and damage, they just dissapear (due to the Devs taking out the "spark" effect of bullets hitting a model while doing no damage).

Emanon

Here is an example of shots that wouldnt have hit, but they do now.

Video Link

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zek
    Open your userconfig.cfg and add the following:

ex_interp 0.1; alias ex_interp ""

Except instead of 0.1 put the new value. The recommended setting is apparently 1 over your cl_updaterate, so if your updaterate was 40 your ex_interp would be 0.025. Setting it at 0 supposedly does the same thing automatically.

i cant find the userconfig.cfg file, is this the one you haev to make yourself or soemthing?

Emanon

Quote Originally Posted by jackel
    i cant find the userconfig.cfg file, is this the one you haev to make yourself or soemthing?

he means config.cfg

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, i dont have a userconfig.cfg but i do have a config.cfg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is all this kkslot stuff in your config file Para? Forgive me, I'm too lazy to try to decipher it.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omgparanoidscriptsban!!!1111shift
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Emanon

Any problems with hitboxes? I really need feadback.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an active imagination, and I haven't spent the time to determine the cause of the improvement, but....

... it does seem lately that my shots have been more reliable in landing. I was in a game on ns_veil the other night. I was several times flying head (with a JP) head on at a lerk who was flying head on at me. We'd cross, I'd fire during my 180, and the shots would land every time I thought they were going to. That's remarkable reliability considering the relative speed of the engagement.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Emanon

OK, lets get this back on track and not discussing skills.

I need feedback please.

Looking at server response time to hits and the like from our server.

Also any noticable lag? Im trying to squeeze every possible drop out of our server.