Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Security on a hotel's wireless network?

Do you guys think that simply running ZoneAlarm is enough to protect my computer while using this free internet connection? It's 802.11b if that matters, and WEP is NOT enabled (hard to keep the password a secret if you give it out to anyone that rents a room...).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How 'bout connecting for games on a hotel's free wireless connection?

OK, security be damned... I can't even connect for some games! I'm sure it's due to their firewall...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Security on a hotel's wireless network?

That's pretty much all i have going security-wise on my wifi laptop. ZoneAlarm and nortonAV. I havn't had any problems so far. I figure it should be fine considering the very short amount of time i spend connected to any one access point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mudshark
    That's pretty much all i have going security-wise on my wifi laptop. ZoneAlarm and nortonAV. I havn't had any problems so far. I figure it should be fine considering the very short amount of time i spend connected to any one access point.
    Hmmm, I'm staying on the same one for two months... The IP's only good for 24 hours before I have to release and renew, but still...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All ZoneAlarm or any firewall protects them from is attacks from the internet or WAN connection. Since there is no WEP enabled, and unless they record your MAC address and use that for authenticating you and issuing you an IP address their nothing to stop anyone from having full access by just being in range of the wireless signal and firing up their own wireless connection. Boom their in. You would have to have a personal firewall protecting you from all other traffic out side of your computer. They would easy access to anything you have setup for sharing. I am sure somebody with a little skill could even get things you don't have shared.

My bad I reread your first line. I Can't say for sure on ZoneAlarm. I am using Norton and Have had no problems except it always seems to think I am attacking myself.
    "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZoneAlarm does let you block access from the local network.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zek
    ZoneAlarm does let you block access from the local network.
    Seconded, ZA allows you to block incoming packets from the LAN. In fact I believe it is enabled by deafult.

Quote Originally Posted by Cingular
    Hmmm, I'm staying on the same one for two months... The IP's only good for 24 hours before I have to release and renew, but still...
    i wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you, You got wireless for a reason didn't you? Might as well use it...

A lot of people make a big deal about the insecurity of networks. In reality, as long as you don't have any goverment type secrets on your notebook and you take the basic precautions (AV, firewall, common sense) you will be fine. If I refused to connect to a network that had any inherent insecurity, I'd have to unplug permenantly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone could possibly capture packets from your laptop and with enough time, get some usable information off of it. If your information is your XYZ location on a gaming server: then you don't really have anything to worry about. Any program that sends clear text passwords could potentially be found. I would be wary about sending any data on an HTTP page. Keep it only to encrypted HTTPS.

With a default firewall running, you shouldn't have to worry about getting attacked anymore than you would if you were on wire. Wireless only makes it easier to capture packets.