Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Thread: Forum Changes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forum Changes

Admittedly I don't play much here any more, if at all, but I've enjoyed the forums for some time with a good community of people.

It is with some disappointment that since the changes I can't access my usual haunts, but, all the best and good luck in the new 'era', and maybe I'll catch some older members online at some point.

Cheers

was [WAS] Benny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Forum Changes

Well, all the forums are still available to me, but I'm a contributing (paying) member of TG. It looks like the number of public forums has been drastically downsized. I'm sure this is a financial decision brought on by recent events. I hope to still see you around if you decide not to donate to TG, though... It would be a shame to not talk to the oldtimers every now and then...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    Well, all the forums are still available to me, but I'm a contributing (paying) member of TG. It looks like the number of public forums has been drastically downsized. I'm sure this is a financial decision brought on by recent events. I hope to still see you around if you decide not to donate to TG, though... It would be a shame to not talk to the oldtimers every now and then...
    Only 3 forums from General Discussion were moved into the new members-only category. No other changes have been made yet.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apophis
    Only 3 forums from General Discussion were moved into the new members-only category. No other changes have been made yet.
    Ah, I see... At first glance I thought that all the forums underneath that new category were for members only. Now I see that only that category is members only. Seems reasonable to me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing the Sandbox is one of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why would someone want to pay for just a forum?
    From Adam Webb

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Overlag
    Because the content and dialog in the forum is valuable to them, for whatever reason.

While Tactical Gamer does not sell forum access alone (forum access is one of many membership benefits), there are forums online, typically regarding a specific subject, which people must pay money to access. It's not unheard of. It is, however, irrelevant when discussing TG, as no one purchases a TG membership and then is given access only to the forums. It's bigger than that.

Tactical Gamer membership entitles you to much more than forums access.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Overlag
    I'm not paying for just a forum. I'm contributing to keep the TacticalGamer community here. I thought we went over this all before when Network 42 first became a business? This community was started when some free network resources were available for our use. Those resources were lost when the internet bubble popped. N42/TG switched to a business model that required paying members to support it. The business was less than fully successful and now TG is back on its own but still needs donations to exist. I want it to exist, so I donate. If it's not that important to you, then you won't donate. Your choice. Apophis is setting up certain restrictions so that paying members get more benefits than non-paying members. Are you suggesting that there's something wrong with this? Can you think of a better way for TG to raise enough money to pay the bills?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before you all get into 'Sandbox' mode, I wasn't getting irate, just waving goodbye for now.

I don't particularly want to pay for forum access, and I won't get any other benefits (not complaining) so it's not worth it for me.

I still wish TG all the best for the future.

(aren't I grown up )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benny_
    Before you all get into 'Sandbox' mode, I wasn't getting irate, just waving goodbye for now.

I don't particularly want to pay for forum access, and I won't get any other benefits (not complaining) so it's not worth it for me.

I still wish TG all the best for the future.

(aren't I grown up )
    Nah, I wasn't going into Sandbox mode... Well, maybe I was getting a bit defensive... I simply want TG to be here for me. I completely understand that some people don't use enough of TG's resources to justify the $9 a month donation. Me? I don't watch TV. TG is where I go for my evening entertainment when most people park their ass in front of the idiot box. [b]For me[b], it's well worth the money. For you, it may not be. Hopefully TG will get enough people contributing that it'll be able to offer more and more services for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, now I'm officially confused.....see you in the 'box'

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benny_
    Right, now I'm officially confused.....see you in the 'box'
    LOL.. Just let the dust settle, my intentions are not to take away from non-supporting members, but to provide enhanced services for the supporting members. :-)

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121