Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call of Duty or Joint Ops?

I want to buy a new game. A game were Multiplayer isn't so very hard. A game were I can play a long time without being killed every 10 seconds by a [email protected]%$Mnd sniper. I'm trying to decide between Call of Duto or the latest release: Joint Ops. What do you hardcore gamers advice? I must say: I've played (and still are playing) Medall of Honor Allied Assault, Spearhead & Breakthrough and Farcry and loved them all.

Please advice.

thnx

John

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Call of Duty or Joint Ops?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybt
    I want to buy a new game. A game were Multiplayer isn't so very hard. A game were I can play a long time without being killed every 10 seconds by a [email protected]%$Mnd sniper. I'm trying to decide between Call of Duto or the latest release: Joint Ops. What do you hardcore gamers advice? I must say: I've played (and still are playing) Medall of Honor Allied Assault, Spearhead & Breakthrough and Farcry and loved them all.

Please advice.

thnx

John
    Personally, I'd say Joint Ops.. Hands down.. :-)

Read what everyone has had to say about it in our JO General forum!

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I can only comment on Joint Ops as I haven't played Call of Duty.

Joint Ops is very fast paced, and there is a lot of death-by-sniper happening. Some feel that snipers are an abused class, but, in worst cases, it is possible to restrict it via server commands. That said, I don't feel that the proliferation of snipers even comes close to ruining the game for me. It can be frustrating at times, but the nature of the team-focused gameplay far outweighs shortcomings like this. Besides, you quickly learn how to reduce your vulnerability to them (somewhat), and it seems that armies of snipers seem to come and go in waves. Once people start dying from sniping a few times, they change classes and go counter-sniping. Seems to do the trick to restore a little balance.

The teamwork, as we're working on here, makes this game incredibly fun. Well coordinated assaults/defenses, supported by a range of classes, makes for intense and thrilling gameplay... the most enjoyable gaming that I have ever had online.

And as for dying a lot, whether by sniper or not, the medic class allows a player to revive another to full health within a certain time window following their 'death.' The only times this cannot be done are following a headshot (complete death, you can only respawn), and I believe falling great heights, drowning, etc. But most combat damage that I've seen (with the exception of explosives... I imagine they're pretty un-recoverable) can be healed by a friendly medic.

Ultimately, these features, along with the shear size of the maps, and depending on the number of players on the server, singel games can last up to several hours. Sure, you'll probably die a lot, but you get to play *a ton!* Like I said, fast paced, but it's great fun with a tight team.

For more, check the Joint Ops section, as Apophis suggested. In particular, read the thread, Retail - Thoughts? for more concise thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditto..

JO, hands down.

A well built team-based tactical shooter..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't played Call of Duty so I can only give my thoughts on Joint Ops. It's a pretty good game but like we've all said, it's fast paced. You very well may be dying every 10 seconds until you get the hang of the game. With the teamwork we have here, it makes for a pretty good game.

You can try the demo for JO but we've all moved to retail so I don't think you'll get a good experience playing JO by yourself. One thing though, I haven't been sniped very much. I die more often by charging a base and getting fragged. Random running helps keep those snipers off your back.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Send me a copy of Call of Duty and I'll get back to ya....

JO b/c I havn't played the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, in JO you will be killed quite often, though there are things you can do to extend your life. I haven't played COD so I can't say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call of Duty had a very nice single player campaign with some good cinematics. I found the MP game to be too much like CounterStrike with WWII weapons. Did I mention I hate "bunny hoppers".

Joint Ops has no single player campaign other than the training missions. The MP piece is one of the most enjoyable I've ever played. It's got a great mix of realism and tactical thinking. The guys are right, if you are not thinking like a solider all the time you will get shot and shot often. Hell even if you are an uber solider you'll still get shot.

For me, there is no comparison. Give me an online firefight against live opponents anyday. Being in a 7.62mm slugfest with six other guys on Teamspeak is an absolute blast. I don't care how good the single player AI is in a game, it's not as unpredictable as going up against an even average human opponent.

JO wins hands down.
    “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive pld both...

hatew call of duty

love to play the demo joint ops but it isnt out retail here yet so i dont know what the finals like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok guys, you convinced me. Bought the game yesterday and........lovin' it. Although I received -8 pints for one mission I love this game. I will eventially getting the hang of it. Thanks for your advice and........we will meet in combat. Hopefully as friends but if not............ watch your backs!

John (players name: johnnybt)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battlefield: Vietnam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Q__DOG
    Battlefield: Vietnam
    I tried it and hated it. Chopper piloting seemed better, but that was the *only* advantage I saw over Joint Ops (which I purchased using credit earned by trading in BFV). Just not my cup of napalm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: Call of Duty or Joint Ops?

Thats a tough choice, but I'd have to say Joint Ops.
    If it is stupid but works, then it is not stupid.
    -Murphy