Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computer won't boot (yay!)

Allright, so I go to turn my computer on today and the thing starts up, goes through the first screen where I can go to bios, then the second screen where I can choose to boot with CD, then it goes black as it transitions to the next screen and it just stays black.

So, I reset and the same basic thing happens. I'm resetting and turning the power off/on several times, one of the times my computer just starts to beep continuously and won't even load that first screen to get to bios. So I shut it off and just double check all the connections, boot it back up and it does basically the same thing as before, except it goes to this screen that says "Windows was not shut down..." and gives me a few options like:

Safe Boot
    Safe Boot with Networking
    Revert to last working settings
    Load Windows Normally

So I've tried each one and all of them stall out. When I try one of the Safe Boots, though, it starts to print out a list of files (I assume it is loading these). I did this several times and every time it stalls out on the same file:

multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drive rs\Mup.sys

Does anybody know what this is or have any suggestions for fixing this? The computer was working fine last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Computer won't boot (yay!)

You using Win2k? Is it fully patched? Did you recently apply Service pack 4? I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;824288

This looks to be the most promising: http://www.computing.net/windows2000...rum/41160.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to say I'm using Windows XP. One of those links says to boot up with the CD and use the repair option. I'm gonna go try that now. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt it's a hardware failure. The PC posts but the OS doesn't load. A repair might do the trick but it could be something with BIOS settings that make it hang on boot. It might be good to do a quick check of your BIOS settings. Reset them to default and try booting. It could save some time from having to do an OS repair.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the exact same thing happen last week, I came to the conclusion that it was a hard drive failure because all it would do it reboot over and over no matter what mode I chose... I corrected it by installing a new hard drive and reinstalling windows xp... then I was going to reinstall all the data that I had loss because I thought it was a hard drive failure... I got the idea that maybe I could recover some of the data or at least try so I reinstalled the old drive as the slave and rebooted and behold windows xp reconized the old drive and disk scaned the old drive and repaired the Bad boot sector and I have the old drive back as a master and the new one as the back up.... So if you have access to another xp computer you might install you drive as a slave and boot up and see what happens....
    I may be old but I can still pull the trigger. Because I can't run. That makes me dangerous. :icon_lol:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason mine started that way was we had a power blinks failure overnight and the computer was on and I quess it got screwed in the reboots and shutdowns I quess a battery back up is in order...
    I may be old but I can still pull the trigger. Because I can't run. That makes me dangerous. :icon_lol:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eternal
    I know this may sound funny but I read that if you put your hard drive in the freezer for about 5 minutes you should be able to access an otherwise defunct drive. I have never tried it but who knows.

No in the barbaque and let simmer for awhile then server it....

Hey it suprised me that it worked I was just trying to see if I could recover some of the stored stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eternal
    I know this may sound funny but I read that if you put your hard drive in the freezer for about 5 minutes you should be able to access an otherwise defunct drive. I have never tried it but who knows.
    I've heard it works, too. I have no idea why it would work, though, but I've heard it from several sources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had this happen when my cpu was overheating too. Is the fan still working?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys. I've just now gotten back online and my roommate doesn't much appreciate me getting on his computer to check the internet. Here's what happened (and how I managed to get up and running).

First, I couldn't seem to get to the Boot with CD key screen, but by hitting my ESC and F1 keys frantically once the computer started to load I managed to get to a screen that let me boot up with my WinXP disk. Then, I did a system restore with my XP disk and got it to load up windows. YAY! Right? Well... er...

After I loaded up, my internet was down. After several reboots and messing around I called Comcast and found out that my computer was not recognizing my ethernet card (onboard). I tried reinstalling the drivers several times from multiple sources to no luck. So, I took out an ethernet card from an old computer, put it in this one, and now everything seems to be (basically) up and running.

Still not sure what it was that caused all of this to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, with my computer on a raid setup, it sometimes freaks with the boot sector (i think its because my two wd 120's are not the exact same model.... off by the last three characters...although the firmware is identical and the the physical dimensions i.e. cylinders, heads, sectors, bytes, etc... are identical.) I have to go into repair about every 2 or 3 months and run chkdsk, fixboot, and fixmbr. that usually solves my issue, but I think there is something deeper if you have a locked driver when you get back..... the best way to see if there is a locked driver is to safe mode it and then got to dev mgr. once there, choose view then devices by connection. you might be surprized the crap you find in there.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when my computer did that. . . bad times. I was outta a motherboard for 2 weeks

Check your Power suppy to motherboard connection and make sure it's secure (and not black stuff around it)

My mobo MELTED last time that happened
    Mobo type: Soyo K7V Dragon Plus!