Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Role playing virtual tables

I'm looking to set up a D&D game (as in dice, lead figures, etc). Does anyone play this online and if so do you know of any virtual tables I can use?

Thx.
    Jex.

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Role playing virtual tables

Doesnt Never Winter Nights offer something like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Jex is looking for something more old school. He's trying to set up a D&D game that's just like the old pen & paper method but over the Internet.

Here's something I found. It seems to emulate online pen & paper play.

http://www.opnpw.com/

There are others at http://www.rpggateway.com/Internet_P...al_Table_Tops/ but I think some are more visual and stray away from pen & paper style.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The email game is fallen by - sorry guys but work is overtime right now, I don't have the time to do this and it's also not working out so good anymore. The responses are coming in at different times and I have to wait for the responses to come back before I can think about the next part (as it is deemed by your actions). Some people can't respond all the time and its going to cause problems. The Virtual Tables I was looking into because I wanted to continue this adventure on this format, if you're willing to do it. 3 hours a week is what I'm asking.

It's really frustrating that this isn't working out how I wanted it to but it's actually becoming more work than actually playing the game at the table. I wanted this to be a quick, fun thing but I'm realising that this isn't the case.

Are you guys up for some real roleplaying?
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarc that link looks good - i'll check it out. Thx
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll take a look at some virtual tables. I'm not quite sure what you're exactly looking for in a VT. Some of them are really cool.

I've installed one called Online Pen & Paper. It has a server you connect to for creating games. I don't think game rooms can be passworded but we might meet some other cool players.

Another one looked really neat. The GM can create a map the players travel on like a cavern or field. An icon represents each character. The icons' opacity can be changed to represent anything the GM wants like an invisibility spell I suppose. Icons can also have perimeter circles drawn to represent melee range and such. The GM can see the entire map while the players can only see what they have explored. Areas can be revealed if the GM wishes by using a paintbrush on the map. The entire program looked good but it involved installing a few Python scripts so it might be complicated to set up.
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =Sarc=
    I don't think game rooms can be passworded but we might meet some other cool players.
    ..or some major geeky ones!

Another one looked really neat. The GM can create a map the players travel on like a cavern or field. An icon represents each character. The icons' opacity can be changed to represent anything the GM wants like an invisibility spell I suppose. Icons can also have perimeter circles drawn to represent melee range and such. The GM can see the entire map while the players can only see what they have explored. Areas can be revealed if the GM wishes by using a paintbrush on the map. The entire program looked good but it involved installing a few Python scripts so it might be complicated to set up.
    Cool!

I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll take a look at some virtual tables. I'm not quite sure what you're exactly looking for in a VT. Some of them are really cool.

I've installed one called Online Pen & Paper. It has a server you connect to for creating games. I don't think game rooms can be passworded but we might meet some other cool players.

Yep that sounds good. I need some sort of table I can put things on to represent monsters, characters etc.
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.openrpg.com/

I've been looking at this one and it seems decent. It's complicated at first and I think it's going to be a while getting used to it. It requires three installs. Two are Python scripts and the last is for OpenRPG. It also has a lot of plugins that we could use later if we want more functionality.

http://www.kloogeinc.com/werks/index.htm

There's still the other one called Klooge or something that can hide parts of the map from the players. It costs $30 for the host and extra for the client program.
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yet, you MUST be prepared to keep playing when someone doesn't show. I think that is what killed our NWN group. only 2-3 out of 6 showed up on a good night. We should have just played, but we just kinda hung out and chatted and gave up on the game. Ah well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gaming sessions will be played out regardless of who show's though we can alter days to suit. Dibbs to this go to the email rpg'ers first off btw. I'd like to pick up the game where we left off or start over.

Once I find the right software for this I'll grab the AD&D books. Probably start off with my own little world, nothing too complicated, and then move on to forgotten realms as that is what I've played before and the info has already been written.

I'm glad this option is open to us and I think we'll have a lot of fun.
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you decided on a virtual table? We'll have to give eternal plenty of time to download the software. OpenRPG is quite large for him, ~17Mb total.
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

www.webrpg.com

How is this one different from the openrpg (they look they are the same folks)...?

I run my $#@! new school style with old school roots...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I could have waited until you downloaded it then tell you that we're not using OpenRPG. But, I'll be nice and say we still don't know what we're going to use.

Some of us were going through OpenRPG and Klooge as virtual tables and we ended up talking about NWN. Now, Riyker, Jex and Le3z0r are probably going to buy it. So, they just might meet the butch dwarf the way she's meant to be met. In her bra and panties.
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That whole loosing of clothing IS a disturbing trend in NWN...