User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ps2,gc,xbox > pc ?!?

the question is simple:

why is that games that are on pc are sucky compared to their ps2, gc, and xbox counterpart?

like spiderman 2 for instance, you do the cool combos like the ones on consoles, you can't swing people around like you do in the consoles...and the game itself doesn't last that long like the ones in the console.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: ps2,gc,xbox > pc ?!?

uum... bush sucks, gamecube rules

i > you @ smash bros.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm glad you're taking time to post..but you're not answering my question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfire
    the question is simple:

why is that games that are on pc are sucky compared to their ps2, gc, and xbox counterpart?
    The answer is simple: Game publishers are concentrating on consoles because they make more money, are easier to develop due to the known platform and have the perfect target demographics for cheap, cheesy games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I wanted to play spiderman 2 I would buy it for my playstation 2, NOT for my PC.
    "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfire
    Easy, they aren't.

Ever played UT, Quake, CS, or any FPS on PC, then played the console port? PC owns consoles in the FPS market.

like spiderman 2 for instance, you do the cool combos like the ones on consoles, you can't swing people around like you do in the consoles...and the game itself doesn't last that long like the ones in the console.
    Was the game ported from console to PC? Ports almost always suck. They try and take a control and graphics scheme designed for a completely different system, and they almost always fail. Pulling off precise button combinations on a keyboard is already hard. Attempting it on keyboard when the game was originally speced for a controller borders on impossible.

I remember way back when they ported Mortal Kombat I to PC (straight arcade rip). Just doing Sub-zero's freeze move was a feat in itself. You'd think the idiots never even play tested it.

Besides, third person action games (along with racing, sports, and fighting games) are always better on console. Stick with PC for Simulation, Strategy, and FPS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cing has a good point. Developers are concentrating more on consoles because it's less risky. Developing a PC game is not much different but making sure it's compatible with various PC's and user friendly is difficult. A lot of gamers aren't computer experts and get confused when trying install and run a game. Consoles are simple to operate. Insert disc, turn unit on, play. PC games can be just as good to play a game like Spiderman 2 but the controls were designed for a gamepad. Every PC has a mouse and keyboard. When a game that was originally designed for a gamepad is ported to PC, the controls feel different and are often lacking.

I personally prefer PC gaming because I use the computer a lot. Although, if I had to choose to develop a game for PC or console, I would pick the console. The requirements are clearly defined for a console in terms of what is expected of the user interface and gameplay. For gaming, I like the PC better because there's the possibility to mod and create new content for the game. Well done PC games have more depth to gameplay and multiplayer cannot be beat. Console games can be enjoyed immensely on the PC if the PC had a standard gamepad. Developers can then take into consideration that the majority of PC users have this gamepad and design the interface accordingly. Unfortunately, it's rare that PC users have a gamepad or extra controls. Often, a joystick along with the mouse and keyboard will be standard for PC gamers.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =Sarc=
    A lot of gamers aren't computer experts and get confused when trying install and run a game.
    I wouldn't use the term "a lot of gamers." If someone honestly could not load a CD into a tray and click next a bunch of times, I'd rather them not game at all.

That said, I don't know one solid PC gamer who can't at least update his own video card drivers. Maybe you should have said "console gamers."

Consoles are simple to operate.
    It's not just that. The TV is usually in a place where numerous people can view it at a time. This makes any form of multi-player game a breeze to get together (ah the wonders of Halo night). PCs tend to be far less accessible than a TV to 2+ people. Then you have goons like me who go and buy a Gamecube for the specific purpose of getting his hands on Metroid Prime.

Console games can be enjoyed immensely on the PC if the PC had a standard gamepad.
    I'll bet money this Spiderman game would work ok if you went and bought a $20 logitech gamepad. I was getting curbstomped at Metroid Mission Zero and Fusion on my GBA emulator trying to use my keyboard and mouse. Once I picked up a PC gamepad (which is infinitely more useful and programmable than a console gamepad, not to mention cheaper), it felt like I was playing on an actual gameboy. Except the whole not straining to see anything on a 2" screen.

In Conclusion: Samus Aran > you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well nightfire if you do research you will find that the console and pc versions of spiderman 2 are made by different developers therefore the pc one blows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Spiderman 2's PC version is an exception. It's basically a completely different game, by a different developer that didn't feel the need to include any of the things that made the console ones good. It's just that all the versions are advertised as one, so people who buy the PC version expecting the same thing are getting seriously ripped off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFeniX
    I wouldn't use the term "a lot of gamers." If someone honestly could not load a CD into a tray and click next a bunch of times, I'd rather them not game at all.
    I define a computer expert a person that is comfortable building PC's, installing any kind of software and can troubleshoot problems hardware or software related. A typical computer gamer is not a computer expert.

That said, I don't know one solid PC gamer who can't at least update his own video card drivers. Maybe you should have said "console gamers."
    That doesn't mean gamers that can't update drivers don't exist. The point is that there are PC gamers out there that are not comfortable troubleshooting a PC problem. To this person, a PC is an appliance or tool. If it breaks, the person has no clue what to do to fix it. Take a look at some tech support posts around here. One in the JO forum was wondering what kind of video card to get. Some gamers just don't want to deal with that stuff. Then the card is installed and the game loads a black screen. What would the average gamer do? Would this ever happen with a console game? It isn't about being able to update video card drivers. It's about being comfortable with troubleshooting a PC problem.
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =Sarc=
    I define a computer expert a person that is comfortable building PC's, installing any kind of software and can troubleshoot problems hardware or software related. A typical computer gamer is not a computer expert.
    But you don't have to be a computer expert to install and play a PC game. I fail to see how loading UT2k4 on your parents Dell is the much more complicated than programming the clock on your X-Box. That's why they made instruction manuals.

On an unrelated comedy sidenote: I remember when I was an expert Nintendo Cartridge Installer. Trying to get an old cart to not constantly flash the reset button on me was a far greater task than most PC problems I've faced (anyone who owns an original Nintendo knows what I'm talking about).

Your original comment: "A lot of gamers aren't computer experts and get confused when trying install and run a game."

You're equating "A gamer who can't troubleshoot/build/repair PCs will have problems installing a PC game." This comment is flawed. Many everyday PC users have absolutely no problems installing games, applications, even operating systems. It's all dependant on how well the installer is written. If you can insert a CD, and click the "next" button a certain number of times: you can install practically any retail software.

That doesn't mean gamers that can't update drivers don't exist. The point is that there are PC gamers out there that are not comfortable troubleshooting a PC problem.
    Solution:
    1. Buy a Dell
    2. Get a warranty

To this person, a PC is an appliance or tool. If it breaks, the person has no clue what to do to fix it.
    And consoles don't break down? There's a reason I won't buy a Gen 1 console: They tend to have a high break-down rate. No one I know can repair a console (especially without voiding the warranty). You have to send them off to the manufacturer (good luck).

Would this ever happen with a console game? It isn't about being able to update video card drivers. It's about being comfortable with troubleshooting a PC problem.
    If you're talking harware failure rates: compare apples to apples.

PC's are used (on average) much more than a console. A console only plays games. Unless you are gaming, it's turned off. I use my PC for gaming, web browsing, typing, downloading programs, and many many more activities. On average: my PC runs 24 hours a day.

Considering most consoles are built using bone stock PC parts (X-Box in particular can even be made to run Linux), they would have the same MTBF. If you ran your console for the same hours as a PC: they would statistically last the same amount of time.

Actually, the PC would probably last longer because it's designed to run for days at a time, whereas most consoles recommend a 2 hour rest after 4-6 hours of gaming.

If we're talking software, then you have a point because a PC has so much running on it that one failure can result in the entire PC going offline. Add in Virii, user stupidity, and bad programming: and it gets even worse.

The only real advantage of a console is the ease of use and cost. You will never get the resolution out of a TV/console that you will out of a CRT and $200 video card. Yes, PCs are much more expensive than a consoles, but they do much more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only real advantage of a console is the ease of use.
    You're agreeing with him and you don't even realize it... The advantage that consoles have is that any dummy can use them. PC's are far more complicated and have many more problems. Therefore, the console is, for this demographic of dummies (a significant percentage of gamers, BTW), the obvious choice.

<Disclaimer: being a PC dummy doesn't mean you're unintelligent. Your dummy-ness (or is it dummy-hood?) could actually be directly related to an apathy towards that knowledge.>

I am lost, if you know where I am then please feel free to tell me.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answer is what Dave said. Game developers dont stand a lot of time configuring the game(s) to be used on a PC, they just port it over with out thinking.

The best console2PC "port" has to be GTA 3\Vice City. They actually took the time to reconfigured the controls for them to make them easier to use on a PC.

PCs do the best FPS, strategy, and some 3rd person action games (GTA3\vice city). Everything else you need a special controller for.

Screw getting a game pad for the pc (they're either too cheap which leads to them being cheesy or they're just too damn expensive), pick up one of these psx 2 usb . I paid 15 bucks for mine at a Radio Shack and its well worth the cost. It allows you to use your psx\2 controller on a pc using USB. I use it just for emulators and sports games. it works flawlessly. Every button is usable including the 2 analog sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by fenix
    Yes, PCs are much more expensive than a consoles, but they do much more.
    Thats why real gamers use PCs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your original comment: "A lot of gamers aren't computer experts and get confused when trying install and run a game."

You're equating "A gamer who can't troubleshoot/build/repair PCs will have problems installing a PC game." This comment is flawed.
    You missed the part about running the game. Installing isn't so bad but what happens when the user runs the game and it crashes. Some will not understand what just happened and may not be familiar with PC's to troubleshoot the problem. I wasn't very clear on that part but this is what I meant.

Solution:
    1. Buy a Dell
    2. Get a warranty
    And spend hours on the phone with tech support or wait for them to e-mail you an answer. The problem is the user still has a problem and whether it is solved or not, time is lost waiting for the answer. Consoles are easier to operate because there are less buttons to press and developers know what hardware the console will use. PC developers have to battle with varying system configurations, which include hardware and software differences. Consoles are designed for one use and it cuts down on a lot of problems.

And consoles don't break down? There's a reason I won't buy a Gen 1 console: They tend to have a high break-down rate. No one I know can repair a console (especially without voiding the warranty). You have to send them off to the manufacturer (good luck).
    It's not about hardware failure rates. Hardware is bound to fail in a console or PC. The problem is changing hardware in a PC to run the latest game when a console doesn't need an upgrade for the latest game. Console games are built for the console. PC games are built for a range of specified computers. A game is expected to work out of the box. For a console there really isn't a problem because the game was tested on a console that is built on the same specifications as the user's console. For a PC, the game has to be tested on a variety of systems running different brands of processors, graphics cards, etc..

When I say a computer 'breaks' I mean there's a problem with it functioning. It could be software or hardware related. The fact that PC's can be loaded with software to suit the user's tastes makes it prone to break. The fact that PC's can be built using different brands of hardware makes it prone to break. I agree that PC's can do much more but it also brings more problems that could occur.

To go back and reply to the original post. There are some games that have been ported to PC or have a PC counterpart that is enjoyable. Thief 3 is a pretty good game that might be better on the PC. A lot do complain that the interface has been simplified and has lost its feel from the original Thief. However, it is still a solid game that has great dynamics and feels right with the controls. I've also played a game called DinoCrisis (Resident Evil clone) that was ported to PC. I used a gamepad and it felt just right. Sometimes it just takes a gamepad to make everything right. Other times it can be wrong. I personally felt that Deus Ex 2 was horrible. Mainly, the story wasn't very good and it lost a lot of its feel from the first version. It didn't matter what side one chose during the game because alignment is set by the decision in the last level. The engine is the same as Thief 3 but the fact that it was designed for the console left PC gamers with frequent load zones.
    JO Guides & Tutorials

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast