Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: You can sell rifles but do not try to sell a love doll

Quote Originally Posted by Fait_Maker
    State Of Alabama... <sigh>

Sex Toys Not Permitted In Retail!
    Won't somebody please think of the children!!

tragic really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How very facsist of them. What else will they be saying you can't do in your own bedrooms?
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I think that the law is silly, I think that this court decision was right on. If Alabama decided in 1998 that they don't want it to be legal to sell vibrators in their state, then that's fine with me. The people have spoken via their legislature. If Alabamans want to buy vibrators, they can either go out of state or elect new representatives. It's a state's rights issue and it went the right way. It doesn't keep people from owning or using sex toys, just buying them in Alabama. <shrug>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jex
    How very facsist of them. What else will they be saying you can't do in your own bedrooms?
    This law doesn't have any effect on what you can do in your bedroom, only what you can sell in a store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about buying dildo's from outside (mailorder) or buy travelling to another state, picking one up and bringing it back? Can you get arrested for smuggling in a lone dildo?

Mmm sounds like a cowboy...
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It only prohibits the SALE of sex toys in Alabama.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that's just daft. So I can order them in from anywhere outsdie the state but it's illegal to sell inside. OK it's not fascist that's just plain dumb. I think they should do a march and all dress up as various sex toys
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a lot of the decision to do not overturn the law was more of the precedent it would put into place for future issues. basically, the court said that they had no right to say if it was right or not. If the people want it changed, change it the way it got added.

A lot of judges decisions, even though they might hate the outcome themselves, hand down those decisions because of some bigger, more inherently dangerous effect that making the other decision would have. a judge hating abortion personally might rule to keep it legal because overturning the law would give precedent for future cases and judges to have the same right. a lot of judges do not like setting precedent if they can avoid it. sometimes you can open a very, very big can of worms.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =DdogG=
    a lot of the decision to do not overturn the law was more of the precedent it would put into place for future issues. basically, the court said that they had no right to say if it was right or not. If the people want it changed, change it the way it got added.
    Exactly. The issue that this court had to decide was whether Alabama had the right to make such a law. They ruled that the state was indeed within its rights to have such a law. The people of Alabama can change their minds anytime they want and have that law removed, but it is not right for the federal gov't to step in and tell the people that they can't have such a law.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CingularDuality
    If Alabama decided in 1998 that they don't want it to be legal to sell vibrators in their state, then that's fine with me. The people have spoken via their legislature. If Alabamans want to buy vibrators, they can either go out of state or elect new representatives. It's a state's rights issue and it went the right way.<shrug>
    That's about the dumbest argument one can make. Once upon a time, the 'people spoke' and said that slavery was fine and dandy. If the 'people speak' in your neighborhood and decide that all houses must be painted neon orange, then you will accept that as good democracy? How about if they 'speak' and say that all women must wear full-bodied robes while outside?

Democracy is not about letting a majority tell everyone else what to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's exactly what a democracy is Tempus. It's why they've never worked on a large scale for any length of time. Luckily, we live in a country that gives us ways of changing the laws that we don't like. The trick is getting the majority to stop liking it too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus
    That's about the dumbest argument one can make. Once upon a time, the 'people spoke' and said that slavery was fine and dandy. If the 'people speak' in your neighborhood and decide that all houses must be painted neon orange, then you will accept that as good democracy? How about if they 'speak' and say that all women must wear full-bodied robes while outside?

Democracy is not about letting a majority tell everyone else what to do.
    Regulating commerce within a state does not infringe on anyone's constitutional rights. Where's the beef? If I lived in Alabama, I'd be raising hell. But I don't, so I'll let them decide what kind of retail sales restrictions they want to put in place...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold
    Regulating commerce within a state does not infringe on anyone's constitutional rights. Where's the beef? If I lived in Alabama, I'd be raising hell. But I don't, so I'll let them decide what kind of retail sales restrictions they want to put in place...
    Just so everyone knows... I didn't post it because I disagreed with the court ruling. There was really very little the Judge could do. I posted it because I think the legislation is silly in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold
    Where's the beef? If I lived in Alabama, I'd be raising hell.
    Because you couldn't get your dildos? Man, you didn't need to share that..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast