User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading NS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reloading NS

If this doesn't work, then I'm about out of options. These constant lock-ups only seem to happen when I'm really "working" my PC. Primary lockups include (but aren't limited too).

1. Almost anytime I fade. As soon as I blink or metbolize, the game can lockup. Sometimes I'll be a fade for 10 minutes before it happens.
    2. Shotguns sometimes cause it.
    3. Rarely ever if I'm just sitting back as a skulk or LMG marine will NS lockup.
    4. Most of the time when it does, someone is talking although I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

This is just weird stuff, so I'm re-installing. Can anyone tell me the files I need to backup so I don't loose my binds/settings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Reloading NS

My opinion would be to NOT backup any files. Start from scratch on as many things as possible.
    Of course, save the HL, Steam, and NS installers/updates.

drew_952

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm if you want to back up the config.cfg file in another folder and just put it back once done reinstalling.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend backing up your config.cfg, but only use it for reference to MANUALLY re-type your binds (or copy/paste) into the NEW config.cfg that your RE-INSTALL creates.

Knowing so little about the cause of your crashes, it's possible that the config.cfg is causing you problems, so overwriting your re-installed config.cfg with your backed-up config.cfg may reproduce your problem that your re-install is trying to solve.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a complete system freeze, or is it just the halflife engine? If it's a system freeze, does hitting the caps lock or num lock keys cause the keyboard lights to toggle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just NS. If I Ctrl+Alt+Del, I can close HL.exe manually. Then I can restart it immediately and get back in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so I completely reloaded NSP and ran a defrag. With some help during a combat game, I've found that going Fade = instant death for HL.exe. But as a skulk, lerk, or marine I was able to play for around 30 minutes until it started locking up for no reason.

I just ordered an OEM copy of XP pro, so I'm going to install my new hardware that I've been waiting on and re-format and re-install.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'll try and help you out. This must be building up a lot of stress, and when you come back to NS it won't be fun if you're edgy. Here's what you do:

1.) Find out (or make someone up) who's to blame.

2.) Draw a picture of that thing (the steam symbol, windows, etc.).

3.) Go to a target range and tape that to the target.

4.) Send it ta HELL!

People may look at you funny at first, but what 'till they see how accurate you are after playing all these violent video games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, just got XP reloaded. I ended up grabbing an OEM copy from my local dealer. Got the full version for $145. Much better than retail. Only catch is: you have to buy it with hardware. So I just had them ship me some thumbscrews ($ .19). Haha!

I hope to test NS out in the next 15-20 minutes.

On a related note: I'm actually pulling the rated 750 Mhz off this laptop now. Turns out it was set to "Battery saver mode" in BIOS. What a pain......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news! NS still locks up, except now it's completely random. All I get is this in my event viewer:

Hanging application hl.exe, version 1.1.1.1, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    The only thing I can figure is that my half-life version is inconsistent, but didn't Steam get rid of all the patching to replace it with on-demand download?

There is no reason on God's green earth why this should be happening. I'm running a damn fine PC setup, and never had problems up until a few changes:
    1. Upgrade to XP
    2. Addition of an SATA striped array
    3. New video card (GF FX 5700)
    4. New sound card (I've gone from on-board, to Audigy, to Audigy2, to disabled to test).

As of this point, I'm strongly considering quitting NS as I'm not going back to 2000 Pro and I'm not ditching my RAID array when everything else runs better with it. I'm too much of a detriment to my team if I leave and loose my res/equipment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFeniX
    1. Upgrade to XP
    2. Addition of an SATA striped array
    3. New video card (GF FX 5700)
    4. New sound card (I've gone from on-board, to Audigy, to Audigy2, to disabled to test).
    I don't know what the specific problem is, but here are some troubleshooting suggestions:
    1. Have you tried completely uninstalling steam and ns reinstalling both? (I assume you have since you upgraded to XP)
    2. Try downloading SiSoftware's Sandra at http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/ It is a system analysis and diagnosis tool that can dig up a lot of details about your system. It may be able to shed some light.
    3. Make sure your video and sound drivers are the latest versions.
    4. Try changing Half-life's/NS's Video Renderer (under Options -> Video -> Renderer) from whatever you have it set to.
    5. Try turning off video acceleration and/or sound acceleration. To do this, run "dxdiag" (Start -> Run -> type "dxdiag" into the dialog box). You can turn off video acceleration under the "Display" tab and sound acceleration under the "Sound" tab.
    6. Try creating a local NS LAN server and see if it crashes there. If it does not, there may be a network-related problem. Do you have a hardware firewall/router? If so, did you upgrade the firmware or drivers recently?
    7. Start NS, connect to a server, open up the console, and idle in the ready room. If it still crashes, see if there is anything useful in the console.

Anyway, I hope this helps to at least identify where the problem is. Seeing as you installed some new hardware when the problem started happening I'm inclined to think it's a hardware or driver incompatibility problem. Is this the only software you have that stopped working?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I could offer help, but I hope someone else's ideas bring a solution.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran a local game server with bots and it does lock up even when playing combat. Running in DirectX doesn't help, and I've turned down all the video settings to minimums.

I plan to disable my sound card and try it again later, but I just my my internet functioning again.

TFC does not lock up at all even after 2 hours of playing (I forgot how much I loved this mod).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ----paranoid----
    If you have anpther soundcard trying installing that and then trying the game.
    I've tried my on-board AC97 card, my Audigy, and am now using a new Audigy2.

Three strikes for NS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usual issue in a case like this is soundcard/videocard IRQ conflicts. You may have to do some BIOS digging and/or OS reinstalls to get the conflict resolved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast