Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheating Death - Required?

With the apparently large new influx of players lately, does anyone else think it might be a good idea to try requiring CD again? I don't mean to discriminate against the newbies, but when half the server has never played it's hard to give any of them special attention and it hurts the game for the regulars. Also, a lot of them are coming from CS and probably know more about Cheating Death than a lot of the NS playerbase... I suggest we make it required at least for a day and see how it works out.

Also, on a related subject, the server name should probably be modified whether or not this is done. PSHBf should be moved to the end since anyone who actually cares about it will have done a search for it anyway. Get rid of "SPEEX" because that really doesn't seem important at all. Move CD Required to the front if we decide to do that, followed by UNCHAINED and then FF ON. Like so:

TacticalGamer.com NS [CD REQUIRED|UNCHAINED|FF ON|PSHBf]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Cheating Death - Required?

I really Do agree on this especially after seeing this guy shooting through walls at skulks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. My take on the name: TacticalGamer.com [CD-REQ|UNCHAIN|FF ON]. Everyone will know its NS because they usually filter by game. If we don't do CD-REQ, just put CD-OPT. CD PREFERED is just too long amd means same thing. I know you like to make it seem more than optional, but the Please Use CD Here plugin already makes it a staple, unless you hack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed

get on tonight people... i should be on, time permitting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive been wanting to have CD a mandatory thing since day one practically

I will be on tomorrow.

Tonight is my last day for my shift, and im off the whole week

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zek
    Also, a lot of [today's "new" players] are coming from CS and probably know more about Cheating Death than a lot of the NS playerbase...
    This is a valid point that is new to this instance of this oft-repeated discussion.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where are they coming from? NS isn't on Steam's "Browse Games" yet.... but I, too have seen a huge influx of people that play one game, then say "This sucks I'm going back to CS - a much better game."
    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's in the third party tab.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one am getting sick and tired of trying to teach these people how to play and they dont listen.There was one guy that just came from cs he was a cool guy his name was cleveland and this guy actually listened to me and zib as we taught him about marine team and the game in general.Now if we had more people like him coming from cs I would have no problem.I just dont like trying to teach some little kid who has played cs for 7 years and he pwns all with an awp to play a round of ns.I for one think that this is a very advanced server and not a server for someone to come on a learn the basics.THough it can be if the newb isn't an ***hole.<End Rant>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. Newbies in general are okay. But when they don't listen (becuase in most games the team doesn't have to communicate a lot) is when it pisses me off.

That's the problem with playing a mod that's different from the others. Its nice but no one knows how to play it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the problem isn't nubs, the problem is nubs who don't learn. Cleveland was a nub, sure, but he was receptive, asked questions, and learned slowly but surely.

As far as the CD-req question is concerned, however, I think that the current system is fine (preferred and not required). It would be nice if CD-using non-paying users could kick non-CD users when the server is full but I don't even know if that's possible- and I do understand if it is undesirable from the server admin's/maintainer's point of view. I would go so far as to say that the nagging should be made more severe, such as including text or admin messages that echo the "please use CD here" message (or maybe that already happens? not sure).

Anyway the reason why I'm pro CD-pref (and con CD-req) is that nubs who learn will be able to overcome the CD-pref requirement instead of getting auto-kicked from the server. Nubs who recognize quality will also have the opportunity to see that this server is actually worth getting CD for.

Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN.
    I for one am getting sick and tired of trying to teach these people how to play and they dont listen.There was one guy that just came from cs he was a cool guy his name was cleveland and this guy actually listened to me and zib as we taught him about marine team and the game in general.Now if we had more people like him coming from cs I would have no problem.I just dont like trying to teach some little kid who has played cs for 7 years and he pwns all with an awp to play a round of ns.I for one think that this is a very advanced server and not a server for someone to come on a learn the basics.THough it can be if the newb isn't an ***hole.<End Rant>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We already have Mr. AnnoyingVoice and he gives me a headache everytime I hear him.I still dont know how pubs can stand it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the newbie is intelligent he'll be able to figure out how to use Cheating Death. It even gives you an url in the kick message if I'm not mistaken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, isn't there a third mode? Something called the CD challenge? It forced every client not running CD to download it. They still needed to install and activate it but it spread CD to many. We could try that if that mode is still supported. It was like 2.23.1 when I heard of it though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that's possible, but even if it were, it'd be a great plan for the cheat-stopping aspect but that's not why we run CD. CD on this server is, in the simplest terms, a player filter. Back in the day we used it to filter out a hefty portion of the "bad" players who were too impatient to figure out how to use it. The only practical purpose of our current setup is to instead irritate those players into leaving the server, but by that time the harm is done(and most of those players don't come back anyway).

The only reason we made CD optional in the first place is because we had difficulty filling up the server in the early days of 3.0(and Steam). Lately that hasn't been as much of a problem; before this new surge in players, we could fill the server with about 3/4 of the players already having CD. And then you take into account that having No-CDs on the server often scares off regulars who don't want to join a game that's full of newbies, and I think we could still be very active with CD required. The priority on these servers has always been making it enjoyable for the regulars and members.

Can we just set it to required tonight, leave it for a day or two and see how it works out? We already made the decision to require CD for a more pure playerbase, the only obstacle to that was the population. There's only one way to find out if that's still an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast