Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You got me... I'm an idiot...

I am trying to setup two PCs on a wireless g network so as to have both boxes capable of seeing and interacting with the other. I have a Linksys router and both boxes are connected to this successfully but I can't get them to see eachother directly. Tried tutorials on the net (not very good ones), changing netBIOS setings, shares, etc. and no joy. Is it possible to have the same user name and password for both PCs or would this screw me? I figured as long as the computer names were different I'd be alright... true? If anyone has a moment to spell it out for me it would sure be appreciated, thanks!

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: You got me... I'm an idiot...

What are the LAN IP addresses of the two machines?

When you say "see each other", do you mean that the two machines are simply pinging each other's IP addresses, or perhaps do you mean that the file sharing services of the other box is available to the other?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be ok with just different computer names. I assume you've checked Network Places and found that the computers are not seeing each other. I know there's a network configuration wizard that should help. It goes through all the settings of network name and computer name. You might want to check the Linksys website. The router should be able to automatically configure the PC's to the same network. I have a DLink router and their website has some help with configuring a network so maybe Linksys does too.
    JO Guides & Tutorials
    Team Element - It's who you game with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyzcrak
    What are the LAN IP addresses of the two machines?
    That's one of the things that is stumping me in that the local IPs are the same (***.***.***.100) and when I try to change one of them to 103 (I have an Xbox on ***.***.***.102) the router changes the IP of the other machine to the same IP.

When you say "see each other", do you mean that the two machines are simply pinging each other's IP addresses, or perhaps do you mean that the file sharing services of the other box is available to the other?
    They don't see eachother in Network Places and the IPs are the same which I suspect is the rooot of the problem (see above).

I'm using Windows 2K Pro, one machine is a P4 and the other is an Athlon64. Thanks Wyzcrak!

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend setting the IPs of the two machines specifically. That is, don't let the router use DHCP to set the IPs. That way you're in control of their IPs, not the router.

Let me know if you need help doing this.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend setting the IPs of the two machines specifically. That is, don't let the router use DHCP to set the IPs. That way you're in control of their IPs, not the router.

Let me know if you need help doing this.
    Yes please...

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the PC you're setting the IP for, go to the

Network and Dialup Connections

Control Panel. Right click on it and choose "Open"

(you can also get do the above by right-clicking on the "My Network Places" icon on your desktop and choosing "Properties"

Right click on the network adapter that you're trying to set the IP address for and choose "Properties"

You'll see a list of components which is used by that network adapter. One of them will be TCP/IP. Select TCP/IP and click the "Properties" button.

Here you'll likely see that "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are checked. You want the other two options.

Select "Use the following IP address" and enter the IP address you want that machine to have. Most likely, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 will suffice, and the "Default gateway" should be the LAN IP of your router, as the gateway is the machine that another machine looks to for access to another network (in this case, the Internet).

Below, select "Use the following DNS server addresses:" and enter the DNS servers that your ISP allows you access to. If you don't know what they are, you can probably find them in the web-based configuration of your router, since it has a direct connection to your ISP. If you can't find them, you might try using these, which belong to Road Runner Mid-South, my ISP:

Preferred DNS server: 24.165.200.40
    Alternate DNS server: 24.165.200.35

When you have done this, press OK (leave the Advanced button alone... it's irritable and doesn't like being clicked by people it doesn't know) to leave the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties" window. Press OK again to return to the "Network and Dialup Connections" window.

Your IP address is now set. Windows 2000 Pro does not require a reboot for a new IP address change to take effect.

Let me know how else I can be helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I need to configure my router in any particular way (i.e. disabling DHCP, etc.)? Thanks again for all the info, much appreciated! I tried a number of settings depending on what I found in my router settings and using your guide above but still no joy. What about netBIOS, Windows file and print sharing, etc. Sorry but I'm stupid when it comes to this...

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what I know about what you're trying to do, NetBIOS should be irrelevant.

There is no need to change DHCP settings on your router, as having DHCP enabled does not prohibit other machines on your LAN from setting their own IPs manaully (though two machines cannot share the same IP).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the idea of static IPs, it'll make things easier in the future.

I have been banging my head against the wall for some time, simply installed NetBEUI Protocol on both machines and BINGO

Thanks again Wyzcrak!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NetBeui will work, but it's an unroutable protocol and therefore is limited and can put a drag on performance. By itself, it's faster than TCP/IP but the less protocols you have installed: the better.

If it's working with NetBeui: then I gather it's only a configuration issue.

I would stay away from setting IPs manually if you could. The DHCP on a linksys router is easily setup. The main thing is to ping the IP of the other computer from both machines. Ex:
    One PC is x.x.x.101
    The other is x.x.x.103

Open a console on the 101 machine (Start>Run>type CMD>Enter). then type: ping x.x.x.103

If you get a reply, then you know TCP/IP is setup correctly on both machines. Do the same on the other machine. And make sure DHCP isn't assigning one IP to both PCs, else the conflict may be your problem.

Question: Can both these PCs access the Internet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFeniX
    I would stay away from setting IPs manually if you could. The DHCP on a linksys router is easily setup. The main thing is to ping the IP of the other computer from both machines. Ex:
    One PC is x.x.x.101
    The other is x.x.x.103

Open a console on the 101 machine (Start>Run>type CMD>Enter). then type: ping x.x.x.103

If you get a reply, then you know TCP/IP is setup correctly on both machines. Do the same on the other machine. And make sure DHCP isn't assigning one IP to both PCs, else the conflict may be your problem.
    I'll try it this weekend, I'm just happy I can finally transfer files from my old to my new PC now (instead of burning a stack of CDs).

Question: Can both these PCs access the Internet.
    Yes, they always could.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And make sure DHCP isn't assigning one IP to both PCs, else the conflict may be your problem.
    That was the problem for a while when using automatic DHCP configuration which is why I opted to use static IPs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turned off my firewalls and could then ping the other computer and vise versa. Which ports and which protocols do I need to work on so my firewalls aren't roadblocking me? Also, what would I need to do to ensure that the machines are being assigned different IPs with DHCP? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What firewall are you using?

To assure you get no IP conflicts again, I would release the IP of both PCs: IPCONFIG /RELEASE, unplug the router for about 15 seconds, plug it back in, the reboot each PC.

What probably happened was one PC got .101, then was turned off, then the other machine (not knowing .101 was already taken) was assigned that IP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast