User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: mp_blockscripts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mp_blockscripts

It it my understanding that this will be implemented in the new patch.

Would I be correct in assuming that it will be enabled on this server?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: mp_blockscripts

Well, I for one would like it to be. I think it'd be funny to watch certain people go from really good to having to relearn NS. It really evens out the game, I think.

Some people say scripts are doing what you could do yourself. But its the fact that you aren't doing them and can focus on less things that makes it unfair. Not to mention it eliminates human error. If someone becomes totally perfect at what the scripts do then, and are good at NS to begin with...*shudders*.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember a discussion about what mp_blockscripts acutally *did* but can't remember enough of it to be quoted on anything I'm about to say.

I think mp_bs (ha ha!) just stops you from using certain _special commands in your .cfg files and from stringing together a few commands into the same alias using ; and 'wait' (as in 'bind "m" "say_team .% MEDPACK %.;wait;impulse 10"').

People get all uppity about scripts in NS and there are just 3 (that I know of) common ones - bunnyhops, quickswitch, and pistol.

I get accused of pistol scripting all the time. If you want to believe me or not, I use the mousewheel to fire the pistol - and I can do so with far more control and accuracy than any script - and come close to matching the speed.

I use romano's quickswitch script because HL's lastinv command is pretty laggy and buggy. This script just fixes it to what it needs to be.

The bhop scripts I've used before, and they're OK. They don't give such a huge edge to players that by taking them out (they'll just be modded to work again) you'll suddenly see top players become crappy.

Other things I know people do - like binding mouse5 to "weap3; wait; +attack; wait; weap1" (leap-bite "script") won't be allowed. Nor will the handy "medpack" binds a lot of people use.

And that's about it. Turn on mp_bs, turn it off - you won't notice a difference in the way 98%+ of the people play.

But at least people will stop saying my pistol is scripted :P
    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You sure those medpack binds won't work? Oh well.

On a different note...()/\/\G! $C|2PT3R!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If blockscripts still disallows semicolons in binds, then I'm definitely opposed to including it on the server. The two most common scripts, bunnyhopping and pistol, can both be bound to the mousewheel anyway. In other words, enabling it won't stop either of them, and you'll be removing a lot of useful and perfectly legitimate scripts at the same time(including things like romano's lastinv script, which is just a functional version of an included feature). Turning on mp_blockscripts will scare away a LOT of potential regulars. It hurts much more than it helps.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has the potential to be difficult, but we'll continue our history of deciding based on the needs of the players.

I've created a thread in the members forum where members can share their thoughts on this with the admins and other members. I'll monitor this thread, but the members' thread will influence me moreso than this one.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Emanon

didnt this turn into a flame war between Wyz and Adj?

Im too lazy someone else find it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that was over who can argue a point better.I dont know I was lost about page 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont need a script. I can use my joystick's 30-clicks-per-second to do my stuff :P
    But the only script i got is
    bind l "lastinv; wait; lastinv; wait; lastinv; wait; lastinv.... ect
    I like pressing it many times to switch from pistols to knife like... 30 times a second. makes a cool sound

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emanon
    didnt this turn into a flame war between Wyz and Adj?

Im too lazy someone else find it.
    This question is thoroughly irrelevant.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

scripting is only part of the game, if the game can allow it, its not a cheat nor a hack and shouldnt be blocked from a game, especially when u bind impulses for a medpacks and the comm doesnt hear it, but he sees the message for a medpack, clicks space bar and wam! med packs...

Scripting is only part of the game and shouldnt be blocked, thats how games are, they allow certain things and they disallow certain things and if Voogru succeeds in the block scripting, i will forever hate him!

[FFT]Kilalot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilalot
    scripting is only part of the game, if the game can allow it, its not a cheat nor a hack and shouldnt be blocked from a game, especially when u bind impulses for a medpacks and the comm doesnt hear it, but he sees the message for a medpack, clicks space bar and wam! med packs...

Scripting is only part of the game and shouldnt be blocked, thats how games are, they allow certain things and they disallow certain things and if Voogru succeeds in the block scripting, i will forever hate him!
    OK, but if it's NOT part of a game (IE, the game DOESN'T allow it, let's say, via a serverside variable!)... then what?

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where does the line get drawn? Let's say it is possible to create a Fade script to: blink to the marine, swipe, swipe, and blink away, all with one press of a key. Is that ok?

The point of the game is about PLAYING it, not who is using the most advanced scripts.

While it is hard to understand why anyone would want to use scripts in the first place, it would be even harder to understand how a community such as this one ('Play the Game Right') could be against a variable that would prevent their use.

EDIT: Haha! Go Pokerface!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus
    Where does the line get drawn? Let's say it is possible to create a Fade script to: blink to the marine, swipe, swipe, and blink away, all with one press of a key.
    It's not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'll bow out from this only because I have a horrible bias against scripts from my Jedi Outcast days.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast