Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traffic observations...

It took me over an hour to drive 12 miles on the interstate this morning. Why? Because people are incapable of following some common sense rules when driving. During my journey to work I had time to think about these rules. Here are a few:

• Leave at least 3 car lengths between you and the car in front of you. This includes people merging onto the interstate. Three car lengths will allow for traffic to merge and only require that you slightly reduce your speed for a second or two.
    • If you are reading, applying makeup, talking on a cell phone, watching TV or anything else besides paying attention to the road then you are an IDIOT and also part of the traffic problem.
    • Owning a German luxury automobile does not entitle you to get in front of everyone.
    • Owning a German luxury automobile does not make you better than your fellow commuters.
    • You are not as good a driver as you think you are.
    • It's not a line for tickets, you don't need to protect your "place" from people cutting in (that's called merging, @sshole).
    • You are no better than anyone else and where you're going is no more important than where anyone else is going, deal with it.
    • The breakdown lane is just that, a lane for when you break down or have an emergency. Wanting to be in front of other people is NOT an emergency. Wait your F-CKING turn!
    • Just because you're too lazy/stupid/inconsiderate to get up in time to make it to work does not mean you get to cut other people off and drive like an @sshole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Traffic observations...

• a wreck on the other side of the interstate does not concern you MOVE ON
    • just because the person in front of you has 3 car lengths to the car in front of them does not give you the right to jump in front of them
    • the shoulder is not a lane in the US
    • in high traffic areas (lots of people merging onto the interstate) drive an appropriate speed. you don't have to speed around everywhere you go. you will only make things worse by going as fast as your car will take you.

I consider myself an aggressive driver, but i also consider myself a considerate driver. the two are not mutually exclusive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I truly believe that the whole cutting people off to "get in front" stems back to grade school.

"Miss D, he cut me!"

Man, I heard that so many times last year. Then the kid who got cut would eventually get pissed off and shove the kid in front of them.

Can you say the beginnings of road rage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wickerman
    • The breakdown lane is just that, a lane for when you break down or have an emergency. Wanting to be in front of other people is NOT an emergency. Wait your F-CKING turn!
    In some parts of the country <I'll presume not yours>, it is legal to drive on the shoulder between certain hours. Up around Boston, I was passed on a corkscrewing exit, on the right, in the emergency lane, while I was in a semi, by an SUV. Scary.

I agree with your other comments and this one too actually. It was to the point that I was I created a bumber sticker at cafepress that basically said "The space in front of me is a safety buffer, not an invitation to YOU!!!!"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freaking drivers on cell-phones is going to one day be shown to be the worst traffic inducer of all. People on cells are slower to react to general driving situations, which causes more accidents and creates longer lines at traffic lights. If each driver on a cell is just 10% less efficient at driving (and that's a conservative estimate), multiply that times the thousands of cell-phone drivers in your city, and you can imagine what the cumulative effects of that would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a rule I wish everyone should follow:

On highways, don't move to the left unless you need to pass somebody. Once you're done passing somebody (or somebodies), move back to the right. The far left lane is popularly called "the fast lane" for a reason.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus
    Freaking drivers on cell-phones is going to one day be shown to be the worst traffic inducer of all. People on cells are slower to react to general driving situations, which causes more accidents and creates longer lines at traffic lights. If each driver on a cell is just 10% less efficient at driving (and that's a conservative estimate), multiply that times the thousands of cell-phone drivers in your city, and you can imagine what the cumulative effects of that would be.
    Uhhh... that'd be everyone being 10% less efficient. I think you're looking for something more like this...
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize, half of 'em are stupider that THAT.

NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fait_Maker
    In some parts of the country <I'll presume not yours>, it is legal to drive on the shoulder between certain hours. Up around Boston, I was passed on a corkscrewing exit, on the right, in the emergency lane, while I was in a semi, by an SUV. Scary.
    I work in Boston, driving down from New Hampshire every day... Adding another lane on Route 93 is great, but like you said... It's defiantely scary... That breakdown lane becomes a "fast lane"... With traffic merging (Or Cutting on and off the highway. Plus you get people that realy do break down, and have no place to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here go to this site - it's fascinating

http://www.amasci.com/amateur/traffic/traffic1.html

The stupid thing is if everyone at ruch hour drove at 30 mph and left a 100yd gap between them and the next car you'd probably see the end of traffic jams as everyone would have time to merge, get in/out of lanes.

It's infuriating isn't it but what my major gripe is (and these people whould have their cars crushed for doing it) those people who refuse to move over one lane so cars merging have a free lane. My drive home constantly see's people driving on the lane where the merge is and refuse to allow others in, even if the other lane is completely free! Screw and just pull out anyway - if they hit you it's their fault lol - I love doing that - *******s.
    Jex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold
    Here's a rule I wish everyone should follow:

On highways, don't move to the left unless you need to pass somebody. Once you're done passing somebody (or somebodies), move back to the right. The far left lane is popularly called "the fast lane" for a reason.
    Actually, the left lane is called the passing lane, not the fast lane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jex
    Here go to this site - it's fascinating

http://www.amasci.com/amateur/traffic/traffic1.html

The stupid thing is if everyone at ruch hour drove at 30 mph and left a 100yd gap between them and the next car you'd probably see the end of traffic jams as everyone would have time to merge, get in/out of lanes.

It's infuriating isn't it but what my major gripe is (and these people whould have their cars crushed for doing it) those people who refuse to move over one lane so cars merging have a free lane. My drive home constantly see's people driving on the lane where the merge is and refuse to allow others in, even if the other lane is completely free! Screw and just pull out anyway - if they hit you it's their fault lol - I love doing that - *******s.
    Actually in Ohio it would be your fault. The person in the lane owns the lane and has the right away. It is up to the merger to stop and/or merge successfully into the lane. That also goes for things like a cloverleaf, which sucks. One person wants on the highway, while the other wants off. If you don't let the merger on, you can miss your exit because he currently owns the exit lane as he is merging <which is the same lane>.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont forget.. some people are new to driving *cough* me *cough* and sometimes make mistakes... Make sure you know whos driving before you get mad at them. I had an old lady stare at me for cutting her off by accedent once :-P (im 15) :-P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    some people are new to driving *cough* me *cough* and sometimes make mistakes.... I had an old lady stare at me for cutting her off by accedent once :-P (im 15) :-P
    See. We rest our case.

I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    Dont forget.. some people are new to driving *cough* me *cough* and sometimes make mistakes... Make sure you know whos driving before you get mad at them. I had an old lady stare at me for cutting her off by accedent once :-P (im 15) :-P
    Oh don't even get me started on the driving age. What the hell is someone the age of 15 doing on the road? What is up with this? I renewed my license this past 9th <cough***Bday***> and there was a 15 1/2 year old getting his motorcycle permit with his dad. Ahhh.. Like we don't have enough emotional people on the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you eligibale to get your permit at 15, and limited licence here in TN. I am a good driver, but I do make a few mistakes. I have been complimented by many on my good driving, but i have been driving go-karts, fourwheelers, ect. since i was 8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast